Datil Vs Fatali

So i'm thinkin of adding one if not both of these plants to my collection. Have never tasted a Datil. are they very similar in taste and heat? i am running out of room for plants if they are very similar. I enjoyed the Fatali. Any feedback would be great!

datils are very nice tasting and have a nice kick to em hot wise. i have never tasted a fatalli but i heard fatallis are great as well..

i personally liek the fatalii a little better. both taste good and have good heat. but for me personally i like fatalii. i will be adding both to my grow list eventually.

My Datil plant last year wasn't very productive, but the few peppers it did put out I didn't really care for. Also, the peppers were quite small, and overall disappointing (to me) in heat.

My Fatalii plant last year suffered a... ahem, fatal incident; just as it was beginning to flower some animal snapped its main stem, so I didn't get to try any peppers off of it. On the other hand, my Fatalii plant this year is doing great, got lots of really cool-looking and *big* peppers on it. I hear it also has the heat to match its looks, so I'm fully expecting to be impressed. It's already beat Datil in looks and size; soon enough I'll see how its heat and flavor are. Got a couple on the plant ripe or ripening right now.

I don't think the taste is very similar for 2 chinenses. Datils are sweet fatalii has kind of a scotch bonnet type of flavor to me. And fatalii is FAR hotter. I like fatalii a lot more but Datil is a nice pepper as well, and extremely productive.

What about sweet Datil? Never tasted a Datil but have grown Fatalii before and love them. Very nice pepper.

Fatali, twice the size, bigger bang for the buck, tastier in my opinion. I also grow and enjoy the "Datil's", mine ripen yellow but somewhere on this site somebody from Florida claims their's ripens red, is that true or is it a different variety?

I find them very similar althought the datils are sweeter and the fatalii are much hotter. I stopped growing datils and devil's tongue(and some other yellow chinenses) in favore of fatalii but now have datils on my "must try again someday" list

Datils are yellow and have been growing in St Augustine Florida for hundreds of years

I grew one datil plant this year for the first time.
After tasting them and making some sauce/chutney (Thanks NatGreenMeds for the recipe)

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/4508-datil-pepper-relish/page__view__findpost__p__71050

So...I'm harvesting enough seeds to grow 10-15 plants next season.
The plant grew well in my region, and has produced around 50 pods so far with at least half that number remaining on the vine.
I love the flavor...and the heat is a good middle of the road level for me.

edit:added recipe link

Hmmm, that's what I thought but...

I've never heard the term "Red Datil" for a Datil plant. As far as I know, *all* Datil's turn red when ripe. Most are used while green. I wonder if it's some sort of hybrid that maybe the leaves are red or something. Could you tell me where it was you bought the seeds for it?

Here's a good article on Datil peppers
http://www.fiery-foods.com/article-archives/85-chile-history/2872-datil-peppers-heat-with-a-history?start=2

"Datil peppers, cousins of the more intense Habaneros, are small and yellow-orange in hue, with a fruitiness that adds a unique flavor that many other spicy peppers lack. “It’s not just heat with Datils. It’s the different flavor that makes them so special,”

Hmmm, that's what I thought but...

I've never heard the term "Red Datil" for a Datil plant. As far as I know, *all* Datil's turn red when ripe. Most are used while green. I wonder if it's some sort of hybrid that maybe the leaves are red or something. Could you tell me where it was you bought the seeds for it?

That guy is clearly off his rocker, the rest of the free world agrees that Datils are yellow. :lol:

That guy is clearly off his rocker, the rest of the free world agrees that Datils are yellow. :lol:

Not sure he's a rocker but..."Datil Pepper Relish" in " The Test Kitchen" forum, nice looking recipe that I might try with some Bonda Ma Jacque since my Datil's are lagging behind

So i'm thinkin of adding one if not both of these plants to my collection. Have never tasted a Datil. are they very similar in taste and heat? i am running out of room for plants if they are very similar. I enjoyed the Fatali. Any feedback would be great!

Fatalii vs Datil!? HAHA! Dude, they aren't even in the same ball park. Fatalii KILLS datil in terms of flavor, heat, aroma, plant vigor, and all aspects of genetics all together :)

Also there's a "Super Datil" hybrid, which I believe is a Datil/Fatalii hybrid. Can't seem to find confirmation that Fatalii is the other parent but that seems to be the best guess.

I once grew a "Super Datil". it was in fact a Fatalii.
Datils are more productive for me, so I like them better. seriously, grow them both.

Back