• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Datil

My Datil hybrid died a horrible death yesterday! I feel horrible because I didnt water it :shocked: it was just a bab-ay

I'm wondering if its to late to try again. It is June in New England so I should be able to grow till October. Any thoughts ? any one with live plants to send? :lol: but really do you think its to late?

Luckydog,

My experience is that the Datil is a long season pepper. Mine that was over-wintered is still 2-3 weeks away from pods.

However, I'm a big fan of over-wintering to get an early start next year. Go ahead and germinate and then prepare to overwinter.

Yea, I know they are a long season plant, I may have to suck it up and try again next year. This plant was taking to long

I've had dead, dried out plants bounce back. They look like they're a total goner, and I watered them anyway, and 2 days later, they look like they did before.

The problem with doing that is that you never know if you have stunted them indefinately, or if the recovery will take forever, i mean possibly a few months. If you really, really, really... want the plant, and are happy it survives, even if it means very low productivity, or if it is a rare plant, or your only specimen of that sort, then keeping it might be a good idea. But generally I think it saves more time, dumping the plant and start over. Ive personally noticed that a mayor stressfactor, even if it happens once, more often than not , the plants too stressed to be time and cost effective to be worth keeping. My solution havnt been, discarding and starting from scratch, cause i know im a bit lazy and clumzy, and whatnot, so I sow many times more seeds than I need, so I can afford making mistakes. :)

I watered it to see what happens the odd thing was the leaves were still very full just them stem pinched up and dried. origamiRN I had lost a lot of my varieties in Feb. So I have a panick garden and threw in what I wanted to have for more or less utility peppers -- Rocotos Rojo (Thanks Jackie) which are 100% germination very good seed, Cherry Bombs, Biker Billy, Cascabel, Anaheims, Tri. Douglah, Scorpions and 2 (of which my smart ass dog (Jack) took the starter jiffy pod out of the dome when I was watering...) I dont know yet and alas the poor Datil which I fear R.I.P.

I'd say its way too late to start from seed but you might be lucky enough to find some plants for sale somewhere. Good luck eh.

Yea Im keeping my eyes open -- I havent seen anything other than the usual suspects i.e. Hab, Cayenne, Cherry and Jala's - I'll have to find where Mad Hill went to and find their farm -- Im going that way that way tomorrow -

check your PMs Lucky...

Back