• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce taste???

I feel the same way about all of Dave's sauces - they all taste terrible, and all seem to bother my stomach more than other stuff.

I've converted over to non-extract sauces.

So much for "Gourmet"

unless there is such a thing as Gourmet "ass"

I feel the same way about all of Dave's sauces - they all taste terrible, and all seem to bother my stomach more than other stuff.

Zokambaa, I got an order of hot sauces in yesterday from 'Some Like It Hot' out of Calgary and there were some hot non-extract sauces in my order.

In order of taste preference I got:

1)Addiction Naga Jolokia Hot Sauce, this one is made locally in Calgary by Hatari Bros.

2)Melinda's Original Naga Jolokia Pepper Sauce

3)The Ghost Hot Sauce with Bhut Jolokia Peppers

All three of these hot sauces have good bite and in fact rank right up there in the heat department with the Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce, but without the smell, taste and stomache cramps that Dave's can give ya.

dvg

Last time I was down at their store I almost bought a bottle but I figured Naga might be a bit too hot... so I tried the daves insanity crap instead... big mistake... I should have gone with theirs instead... I had some other Hatari bro sauces and they were pretty good... not as hot as I would expect... I'd imagine the Naga one is pretty warm.

Zokambaa, I got an order of hot sauces in yesterday from 'Some Like It Hot' out of Calgary and there were some hot non-extract sauces in my order.

In order of taste preference I got:

1)Addiction Naga Jolokia Hot Sauce, this one is made locally in Calgary by Hatari Bros.

2)Melinda's Original Naga Jolokia Pepper Sauce

3)The Ghost Hot Sauce with Bhut Jolokia Peppers

All three of these hot sauces have good bite and in fact rank right up there in the heat department as the Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce, but without the smell, taste and stomache cramps that Dave's can give ya.

dvg

Zokambaa,

Like everyone has said, sauces that include pepper exract as an ingredient seem to get a fair amount of reaction from some people about the chemical taste. However these sauces like Dave's would not be as big of a brand that they are without a solid fan base.

Eddie

I have to disagree somewhat , I do agree that there definatley is a "fanbase" but I believe the main reason for the popularity of brands such as Daves and other like it simply stem from the "heat" wars early on in the "gourmet" hot sauce world, back in the early days it was all about making your sauce the most unbearably hot, and that kinda started the whole thing and Dave played that market well, however I never read any reviews that stated any of those early pioneers like Dave's or Blairs etc.. were notably tasty , it was always about OMFG that was hot, which usually meant your stomach was pretty fucked afterwards lol. I think todays standards by most enthusiasts has surpassed the simple heat factor we want the heat we crave along with edibility and flavor. Anyone can make a crazy hot sauce that tastes like shit, getting it to taste GOOD is the real skill.

Last time I was down at their store I almost bought a bottle but I figured Naga might be a bit too hot... so I tried the daves insanity crap instead... big mistake... I should have gone with theirs instead... I had some other Hatari bro sauces and they were pretty good... not as hot as I would expect... I'd imagine the Naga one is pretty warm.

Well all three of the above hot sauces are definitely hotter than the Melinda's Red Savina or the El Yucateco XXXtra hot sauces.

But I think you'd like the Addiction hot sauce.

It leaves a burn well after the sandwich is gone...but a friendly burn.

WickedMojo, what can i say...you definitely have a way with words.;)

I had a good chuckle, but had to agree with you, nowadays taste is more important than straight heat.

With the Superhots out there now providing that heat, if extracts are used to supplement that heat further, but are not used or made properly, those extracts just end up wrecking a hot sauce.

dvg

I completely agree with you about Dave's insanity line but the Ghost Pepper sauce is rather flavorful despite the edition of extract. Frankly, the main U.S sauce producers are about 10 years behind when it comes to flavor or base ingredients. They all seem to lack any pepper diversity and simply rely on Habs, extract and the other strains that were available 10 years ago.

Hopefully, some of JustaGuy's type of sauces with become more main stream over the next few years.

WM, well said.

I don't really know why, but Dave's Original has a special place in my heart. Probably because it was the first sauce I had that was noticeably hotter than tabasco. I used to mix it half and half with Crystal hot sauce and pour it over wings. I have since moved on to MANY better sauces, but I still have a bottle in the pantry that I break out for wings once in while. I don't like it straight, but there are much worse tasting extract sauces out there than this one. Every sauce has it's place is what I guess I am saying.

Dave's is ok, as long as you use it how it's intended. If you use just a few drops to heat up soup and other sauces it's great. It's NOT to be used on its own for flavor. I really like Dave's ghost pepper sauce, though. As mentioned it really does have a great flavor. I always have a Dave's product in my fridge. But, everyone is right, there are much better sauces to slather on for flavor and heat.

Back