• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce dave's insanity hot sauce

i used the search but failed to find this, oh i got a lot of hits on dave's insanity hot sauce but none on it in quotes.

i have a bottle of this and initially i was unable to use even a fraction of a drop when i bought it about 2 years ago, it's been in the fridge since. back then i was able to handle a fair amount of tabasco sauce on stuff but beyond that i was unprepared for really hot stuff. the dave's insanity sauce was like eating burning gasoline!

so in the past 2 months with the advent of growing and now eating fatallis and habs from my garden and i bought some lemon drops, i have eaten some hot peppers. also a friend sent me a box with 2 each of carribean red, congo black (i have eaten 1 of each), red bhut, yellow bhut (i have eaten 1 of each), trinidad scorpion, trinidad yellow scorpion, yellow scorpion cardi and 7-pot jonah (i have not eaten any of these yet) i have been eating some really hot peppers.

so now that i can eat some hot stuff i tried some of the dave's insanity sauce tonight. man this stuff is still wicked hot! based upon this link dave's insanity hot sauce it is 180,000 shu. some of the peppers i have listed that i have been eating are well into the 100-300k shu range and the red and yellow bhuts are in the 800k shu range but dave's sauce has a burn unlike the peppers! any ideas why?

Don't get stuck on numbers. For the most part they don't mean much. Getting a pepper to live up to it's "SHU rating" may be harder than we know. Remember the ones turned in to be checked were probably babied and stressed then repeat over and over. I don't know any grower who goes to all that trouble.

As for Dave's sauce it could be your just more susceptible to the capsaicin in the sauce than you are to actual peppers.

If you're wanting to be able to do shots of Dave's sauce without it kicking your butt just keeping eating the superhots and doing small shots of Dave's and you'll get there before you know it.

Hope you enjoy the trip.

The Scoville scale is inaccurate science at best. Don't be trapped into it. I love it when people come up to our booth and say stupid crap like, "I ONLY eat anything over 300,000 SHU". I dismiss them, with a smirk and loud internal laugh, and usually say something back to them like, "147, definitely 147".

I seem to remember hearing/reading that Dave's Insanity Original version is around 50,000 shu. I agree with the others though that the numbers are really meaningless.

Don't get stuck on numbers. For the most part they don't mean much. Getting a pepper to live up to it's "SHU rating" may be harder than we know. Remember the ones turned in to be checked were probably babied and stressed then repeat over and over. I don't know any grower who goes to all that trouble.

As for Dave's sauce it could be your just more susceptible to the capsaicin in the sauce than you are to actual peppers.

If you're wanting to be able to do shots of Dave's sauce without it kicking your butt just keeping eating the superhots and doing small shots of Dave's and you'll get there before you know it.

Hope you enjoy the trip.

+1

What are the ingredients in the sauce?

thanks. i know from a prior thread that shu are relative and not really accurate to any given pepper of any variety, more of a guide and a general one at that. i was just surprised at the burn from something that was 180k shu when i ate small pieces of red and yellow bhuts, not a whole pepper, and wasn't as effected by the pepper as i was from the sauce.

the ingredients are "hot peppers, tomato paste, hot pepper extract, salt, cane vinegar, onions, xanthan gum, garlic, citric acid and spices" so not really very descriptive.

Back