Dead apple tree question.

My neighbor has a dead 15 year old apple tree he is getting ready to cut down and remove. I think the tree died about 5 years ago. I want to get the wood from it and use in for smoking. Is this a good idea? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm pretty much a rookie in this area. If the wood seems pretty dry, would it be ok to use immediately? Thanks.

I agree, just be sure to discard any wood that has rotted or become insect infested and go ahead and smoke with anything that's still solid. I love apple smoked ribs and pork chops.

I actually like using wood that is still somewhat moist. The guy I get my wood from is a KCBS judge and he said the extra moisture in the wood helps keep the smoke moist instead of a harsh dry heat. With slightly wet wood you get a nice smooth moist heat that helps keep keep the meat moist through a longgggg smoke. I did ribs and tri-tip last weekend and it takes a little longer to get the wood going, but the smell of the sweet sap from the fire box along with my water box allows me to smoke my ribs without having to foil wrap them and they still end up just as moist.

Personally I let my fresh apple wood dry out quite a bit so I can easily remove the bark for optimal smoke. I find its easy to moisten the wood a bit if it becomes too dry.
Just cut down an apple tree today:)

Lucky guy, apple wood all set for smoking, when my neighbour prunes his apple trees he always just tosses the branches over the fence into my yard, don't even have to ask - he does it with his cherry trees as well. I have to purchase mesquite, hickory and alder if I want to use them but all are readily available at box stores like Home Depot/Walmart.

I'm such a moron. I just looked at the Wood Smoke Flavor Chart and see that maple is good for smoking too. I live in Maple Valley. Maple trees grow like weeds here. They are everywhere you look. I use it for firewood and it has a fantastic smell. I will now use it to smoke. I learn new stuff here every day, even obvious stuff.

I live in my own maple valley but usually find maple wood too mild to use on its own.
As for using apple branches, I usually avoid any small branches since there's too much bark and bitter smoke. I made the mistake of using chipped apple branches last yearand wasn't pleased at all

I'm jealous...we don't have apple trees here in Texas, so I have to settle for pear wood, which is ok. I do have pecans, oaks, and mesquite all in one pasture...I call it the "BBQ-Pasture"...there are limbs-o-plenty missing.

Anyhow, good find on the apple wood...hog is best for that.

Back