• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

DEAL - Hydrofarm 4' 8 Tube Grow Light

Hey Everybody,

I don't know how many are in need of T5 lights here but like last year I just found another good deal I thought I would pass it on. A Hydrofarm commercial Series (white) 4' 8 bulb T5 light for $199 Shipped free! (Last year was $205 for the Brown designer series)

These have a 5 year warranty, include the 6400k bulbs and they are a nice simple white color. It is from an Amazon seller not Amazon but your get protected by Amazon and this merchant ships with prime. It also implies that this item qualifies for FREE Super Saver Shipping so it should be free even if you don't have prime. (I can't verify because I have prime)

These are great for starting seeds and growing them till their ready for plant out. (My plants got to about 12-14 inches before I put them out in the garden. The 65000k bulbs and florescent nature of this light will not make this a good light if you want pods for overwintering. Anyway if you want to take a look here is the link:

Hydrofarm 4' 8 Tube T5 Grow Light

Hope this helps a few of you start several million seedlings for next year. LOL

Thanks for the heads up Mike, I am definitely shopping for some lights right now. What do you think on 6 vs 8? Did you run all 8 this year or drop to 6? Also, what did you see as far in a difference in your electric bill running them? Trying to nail down exactly what I am gonna use for this season, and lighting decisions are proving difficult. Thanks

Matt

Depends on how may plants you want to start. I went 8 because the light is 2x4 and my grow trays were about 1x2. I was able to fit 4 trays perfectly under it and give them a bunch of light. I did not look at my electric bill. Since we use gas to heat, my electric bill is 1/4 what it is in the summer time so I was just so happy to see that. You will appreciate the extra light when the plants get bigger.

Good fixture for starting seedlings with 6400k yet uses as more watts and produces less lumens than a comparable 400 metal halide. This T5 8 bulb uses 454 watts and produces 37,600 lumens where as 400 watt metal halide is around 55,000 lumens almost 50% more light and a lower electric bill. Just need to vent for the heat put off by the HID but that can be a plus for germinating seed in the middle of winter. I have been shopping light all day and found a 2 bulb 4' HO T5 for over me seed trays for $49.95. I move to the metal hailde after moving seedlings to cups. Both my HID and 54 watts T5 use exactly the same electricty as just the 8 bulb T5.
http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-Supply-4-Foot-2-Lamp-High-Output-T5-Fixture.asp

Mike, I am looking at somewhere between 100-125 seedlings and I have an enclosed 5x5x7 grow tent. So I could definitely fit the 8 tube. Thanks for the info.

I've had great success using two T5 bulbs per 48" x 16" shelf x 8 shelves setup. If they're underperforming I would definitely bump it up. I do have pics to back it up.

Back