Dear hot sauce makers...

How do you hot sauce makers keep up with this stuff?  KY has a program where when you get your farm ID number, they start sending you things like surveys and news letters.  Helps you keep up with a few things, know what others are doing in the state, and so on.  But I dont think there is anything like that for the FDA or national department of agriculture.  Laws change and nobody tells you.  Laws like the new labeling requirements.

Saw a political article today that gives me even more respect for the level of organization that you hot sauced makers must have.  It essentially says that the new food labeling requirements that just went into effect are not based on any sense of science.  So you just know someone in the next administration is going to revise them.  Maybe because they want better labeling and maybe because they always seem to want to undue what the previous administration has done.

As a whole, this is going to cost a fortune.  On an individual / artisan base, probably not so much.  But it is still a royal pain the rear to have to keep up with these things, change your labels, and then change them back again.

Before I share the link, I want to say I adore our First Lady.  I am not thrilled that she heads committees that make her ideas into laws.  But her pushing of home grown food has been refreshing.  I know everyone can't be a hippie dippy type, but most people can keep a small victory garden and I think that really helps American families.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/michelle-obama-nutrition-facts/

ajdrew said:
How do you hot sauce makers keep up with this stuff?  KY has a program where when you get your farm ID number, they start sending you things like surveys and news letters.  Helps you keep up with a few things, know what others are doing in the state, and so on.  But I dont think there is anything like that for the FDA or national department of agriculture.  Laws change and nobody tells you.  Laws like the new labeling requirements.

Saw a political article today that gives me even more respect for the level of organization that you hot sauced makers must have.  It essentially says that the new food labeling requirements that just went into effect are not based on any sense of science.  So you just know someone in the next administration is going to revise them.  Maybe because they want better labeling and maybe because they always seem to want to undue what the previous administration has done.

As a whole, this is going to cost a fortune.  On an individual / artisan base, probably not so much.  But it is still a royal pain the rear to have to keep up with these things, change your labels, and then change them back again.

Before I share the link, I want to say I adore our First Lady.  I am not thrilled that she heads committees that make her ideas into laws.  But her pushing of home grown food has been refreshing.  I know everyone can't be a hippie dippy type, but most people can keep a small victory garden and I think that really helps American families.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/michelle-obama-nutrition-facts/

If Hillary is the next commander and chief you can bet labeling transparency will go out the window with her Monsanto roots. $$$

Back