Deep Fried Turkey

I have fried turkeys before really enjoy them. This year my son is playing (American) Football for his High School on Thanksgiving Day morning. We have 14+ people going to the game. So I thought a quick way to server eveyone, since time will be later to start, is to fry a turkey. I have a 30qt propane fryer and my wife bought a 20lb turkey. I have been researching the times and rubs/injections etc... and all sites mention that a 20lb is too big. It would take app. 60-70 min. which potentially could leave areas of the turkey dry. Some sites say to cut the legs and wings off and fry first then fry the the rest when they are done.

Does anyone have any experience with larger birds and recipes to share? I was thinking injecting the bird would keep the turkey from drying to much(?).

You can do a 20lb turkey in a fryer no problem. It will take time. Just PLEASE take this word of caution. Fill your fryer with water with the turkey in it to gauge the amount of oil you will need.

Yeah - I've done that - not like you can remove the oil easily, or safely, when its hot ;) - I've been cruising the info highway and most sites say a 15lb turkey is best. But I am beginning to think they are talking about the smaller turkey fryers.

Has anyone used a digital meat temperature gauge in a fryer?

You can do a 20lb turkey in a fryer no problem. It will take time. Just PLEASE take this word of caution. Fill your fryer with water with the turkey in it to gauge the amount of oil you will need.
Ouch! JayT you're going to cause a fire! You don't measure with the turkey in! You put the turkey in, fill with water until bird is covered, and remove the turkey to mark the fill line. Unless you meant measuring by the amount put in. Yeah I guess that would work too if you are measuring the exact amounts of water, and then oil, but the fill line to me works better. Just mark it, fill.

+10 on pre-measuring for the amount of oil. Co-worker of hubby burned his house down with one of those contraptions.

I haven't used a digital thermometer, but did use a piece of stiff wire to hang a thermometer off the edgeof the pot and down in the oil.

Also, for preping the bird, Try brining. I've done several chickens in a brine and we really like them.

Here's the Sunset Magazine recipes that were the inspiration for the first time we brined-
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-tropical-chile-brine-50400000109848/

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/anise-orange-brine-50400000109847/

You could brine it right in your cooking pot if the pot is SS, if it's aluminum, I'd suggest brining in something different. I've seen people use a clean ice chest for brining.

Have fun, will you be posting pics?

SL

I dont know about brining when deep frying ?? - Im sure Jay was saying water to gauge the amount of oilm to use. I have done smaller birds, wings, french fries and clams in it before just not sure about the larger 20+ lb turkey. I do have a 30qt kit from Home Depot and I am anticpating doing it outside weather permitting otherwise it'll be sides and chicken sandwiches

I recently heard something about an indoor turkey fryer that is supposed to be safe. Has anyone here used one and if so, what were your results? TIA.

Butterball came out with it. It looks safe it does smaller birds I believe in the 10-15lb range. Of course its electric (boogie woogie woogie) and has a lid and timer I think? Looks safe

From what I've heard the big danger is deep frying a frozen turkey, basically it turns into a big fire bomb. Oil and water don't mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXESqkUf2IU

Back