• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Deer at my plants :-( Any suggestions on source for replacements?

Hey all,

Long story short, I had about 80 plants of different varieties growing from seed.  Life got crazy, and I forgot to bring the pots in last night. Deer had a feast.  Hard to overestimate the "suck" factor, but there's nobody to blame but myself, I suppose.

Anyway, its obviously far too late to start over from seed.  Does anybody have any recommendations on a reputable vendor who would sell me some Scorpions and Bhuts?  Maybe a dozen or so - something being better than nothing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Ron

I've got some seedlings at the 4" size but nothing superhot:

Aji Amarillo
Aji Cito
Aji Oro Rocoto
Aji Verde
Alma Paprika
Cherry Bomb Red
Chinese Bullet Pepper
Çumra Cherry
Dulce Marrón
Ethiopian Brown Berbere
Kung Pao
Matay
Tatli Top
Yatsufusa Pepper

I haven't ever tried to ship live plants before, but it would be worth a try.

I *might* have one or two red bhuts in 4" pots hiding somewhere in  my front fenced area; I'll take a look when I get home tonight.

Thank you KingLeerUK - you are very kind.  I'm think I'm ok, though - I just ordered some from Refining Fire Chilis.  Scorps and Bhuts will have to do for me this year, I suppose.

Lesson learned - don't turn your back on the critters for one hot second.  Deer aren't even supposed to like Chilis, but apparently ours didn't get the memo.  Perhaps this fall I will have some revenge.  Hot peppers would probably go nicely with venison . . .

Tuthmose said:
Thank you KingLeerUK - you are very kind.  I'm think I'm ok, though - I just ordered some from Refining Fire Chilis.  Scorps and Bhuts will have to do for me this year, I suppose.

Lesson learned - don't turn your back on the critters for one hot second.  Deer aren't even supposed to like Chilis, but apparently ours didn't get the memo.  Perhaps this fall I will have some revenge.  Hot peppers would probably go nicely with venison . . .
They go very nicely with venison and onions :) 

Tuthmose said:
Hey all,

Long story short, I had about 80 plants of different varieties growing from seed.  Life got crazy, and I forgot to bring the pots in last night. Deer had a feast.  Hard to overestimate the "suck" factor, but there's nobody to blame but myself, I suppose.

Anyway, its obviously far too late to start over from seed.  Does anybody have any recommendations on a reputable vendor who would sell me some Scorpions and Bhuts?  Maybe a dozen or so - something being better than nothing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Ron

CCN is having their end of season sale, I got the emailer last week ... better hurry (hope it's not too late already) ...

Tuthmose said:

can make your own pepper spray as well (for when it's not deer season)

gotta put up some fence to keep em out.

Yes on Jim Duffy and he is doing his deal of the week think on Facebook.

But want to say, a HUGE amount of growing is developing the root system.  This is why folk winter over to preserve those roots.  If they left a node or two on your plants don't give up on the plants, they could come bouncing back.  My goats have pruned more than one plant. Two weeks later, new leafs noticed.

I spray that nasty smelling Deer Away or Deer Fence on the plants about once a week. The deer walk right through my raised beds leaving the plants untouched. Plenty of other vegetation in the area for them to eat, too.

Back