• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Definitions...

1. If I visit a seed grower or website, how can I be sure that what they assign the suffix pubescence (eg) to, really is a pubescence, and so forth?
Is there a definitive work (book, scientific paper, web site) that has the final
word on this? ie to look up what group a Black Pearl, say, falls into: where
would I look?

2. Where does one go to find the SHU levels of a specific variety/species?

3. Finally, are the peppers classed in species, variety, or cultivar?

Thanks
Paul

Hey huntsman!

1. Not sure bro, someone will help you out though.

2. Do a search on Google. Here's a pretty good one: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...+chart&usg=AFQjCNE-ltCwDfHKTb-IezOYgqfAeXcVhg You have to take these with a grain of salt too bud. There are ways you can change the amount of capsaicin in a pepper. As I understand it you can stress a plant while it's producing pods and it will be hotter than a pod grown normally.

3. I have been using "species" and nobody has tried to shiv me yet so I think I'm OK.

capsicum pubescens, capsicum annum, capsicum chinense etc. are the species. Scotch bonnet, habaneros, jalapenos, bhut jolokia etc. are the variety. And i'm not sure about this part but i believe orange habanero, red habanero, Jalapeno M, Jalapeno Mucho Nacho etc are the cultivars.

See, cultivars are "cultivated varieties" so wild species are varieties but not cultivars.

Dang! It's going to take me a while to wrap my brain around this one! Heh heh!

So Jah, if I buy a standard packet of seed, there is no cultivar involved, but if say, Patrick sends me seeds he has from a hybridised plant, that's a cultivar?

Variety vs Species is clear too, UnNatural - thanks!

Pat & Potawie - checking those links now, much appreciated!

Back