• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Dehydrated peppers

I just got my dehydrator and dehydrated some nagas and scorpions. Is it me, or does anyone else feel like they've been ripped off? I mean, you start with this big fresh pepper and end up with a tiny shriveled hard thing. What is the benefit besides them keeping longer and making powder?

LOL. Why did this surprise you? Did you know raisins are dried grapes, or did you think they were grown? ;)

Yeah, like when I buy a pound of habs and get less than an ounce of powder out of it..but ohhh is that some fun powder.

Wheeee!
QP2qntmo74646012.gif

By drying them, they will keep longer, but for me, I just grind them all up into powders and use it like table salt, for making various spices and for cooking. Keeps like for ever if in an air tight container.

thehotpepper.com said:
LOL. Why did this surprise you? Did you know raisins are dried grapes, or did you think they were grown? ;)

It didn't surprise me. I just hit me after I did it like.....what am I doing?

thehotpepper.com said:
Did you know raisins are dried grapes, or did you think they were grown? ;)

You mean there is no such thing as a raisin tree?:shocked::( You might as well have told me there is no such thing as Santa Claus, but I know he's real at least.:P

I don't think of it as preservation, I like to use dried peppers for different things than fresh peppers. Like grapes and raisins (again with the raisins LOL). The preservation is just a benefit.

I find myself using powdered chiles more than fresh peppers during cooking even though i have an overabundance of fresh pods right now. It gives an even heat/flavor distribution through out the dish. I've only been using fresh peppers for poppers and sliced up in salads or sandwiches.

chillilover said:
I just got my dehydrator and dehydrated some nagas and scorpions. Is it me, or does anyone else feel like they've been ripped off? I mean, you start with this big fresh pepper and end up with a tiny shriveled hard thing. What is the benefit besides them keeping longer and making powder?

well that pretty much sums it up! allows you to make powder or flakes, & at the same time preserving your harvest for longer time. otherwise you'd have all these fresh pods that you cant consume & they go bad, & then nothing for inbetween harvest season.

Back