• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Dehydrating superhots...

I always wash pods right after picking them. Then it's slice in half lengthwise, remove desired seeds and bad spots then onto the dehydrator trays. I like to keep some space between peppers when drying too. Temps are between 115 and 120. 24 to 30 hours later they are dried to a crackly crunch.

I bought a second dehydrator for cheap last year off Craigslist and cut the bottoms out of a few trays for spacers. It was a heat only variety anyway and mine is one with a fan. Spacers are nice for the big peppers or for my strings. I take needle and thread thru the stem right above the base and then dry them. I move them around and rotate trays several times thru the day or so they are in the dehydrator. When done I have strings for hanging in the kitchen or at work for when I need some heat.

102_0491.jpg

Has anyone ever tried drying them in a convection oven? We have a small little over that has heating elements on top and bottom, but because it's a convection oven it actually blows the hot air around in some type of vortex. It cooks very well and the temp goes as low as 150. I normally use it to dry my Ashitaba leaves for tea, but have never tried it for peppers.

My dehydrator takes about 24-30 hours to dry all 4 racks at once even if I rotate them and plug it in outside in the hot sun which just seems like a very long time.

Here's a shot of my 1st. attempt at drying pods:

100_1858.jpg

Naga Jolokias and Orange habs....I made'em into a very tasty powder this morning. (ALMOST as good as Pepperfreaks!)

100_1860.jpg

100_1861.jpg

Back