• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

dehydrator question

I have a new dehydrator from walmart that has no settings other than off or on and will dry a cut in half jalapeno overnight .
is this too hot??
the other peppers I have dried seem to get darker than the peppers I dry on a cloth on a table but don't seem to be less hot .

Stick a thermometer inside and see what it's set at.

It seems that will work, but just watch that you don't leave them in there too long otherwise they might end up tasting a bit burnt. My Excalibur does have a temperature setting that allows for a temperature range of 85 f degrees to 155 f degrees and I have been using it at the recommended setting of 125 f degrees without problems. I think (just my opinion) that if you are using a dehydrator that operates at a higher temp, it would just speed up the process and I wouldn't be too concerned about it as long as your not ending with burnt peppers.

I was just air drying and that was taking weeks so this is way better.

I ate a full hab today on a hotdog with a little mayo mustard and it was good and hot.

AlabamaJack said:
I think this is the same one as I have Shayne...be prepared for long dehydrating times...it takes me about 24 hours solid to get them out of the "leathery" stage, but then again, I like mine almost crispy so they make powder better...JMO

Shayne and AJ that is the same one I have also. And I would have to agree with AJ it takes a lot longer that what the Instructions tell you. Last time I used it for my Paprika Sumpremes I had to cut the peppers into cube shapes so they would dry faster.

Back