• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Dereks Crazy Feta Cheese Bread

corn flake bread crumbs was recently used in a fine dining restuarant as a take on Fish and chips.
I worked in a wanky restuarant that used to have deep fried marsbars and hand made vanila bean icecream on its menu tasted amazing. Its interesting to see what works when done well.

stillmanz said:
corn flake bread crumbs was recently used in a fine dining restuarant as a take on Fish and chips.
I worked in a wanky restuarant that used to have deep fried marsbars and hand made vanila bean icecream on its menu tasted amazing. Its interesting to see what works when done well.
I betcha ya the mars bar was good though?

Well 3 day's ago I've fried a twinky in my iron skillet and it was freaking awesome. I had Ice cream along with the fried twinky.

Mate that looks great......I love bread and I have about 600 different recipes for different breads....

I've been making my bread in the machine just for the shear ease of it but I love doing it by hand and cooking it in the oven as well.... I do a good herb and cheese bread, and a simple but yummy tomato pesto bread....

stillmanz said:
I worked in a wanky restuarant that used to have deep fried marsbars

Is it as simple as just dunking the Marsbar in the oil and letting it sit for a few minutes???

My misses loves marsbars and would love to try them as a one off.....

you gotta coat themin a batter that seels them perfectly otherwise they will turn inside out, we used to sell them down the shop until I got sick of making them.
batter them in a light batter then cook until the batter is crisp. watch out they get unbelievable hot inside. like a tomatoe in a toasted jaffel lol.

easiest way to make sure to get a good coating of batter is to put mini mars bar in the freezer for about 30 minutes , then stick a tooth pick in them and use it like a "handle" its alot neater and less mess trust me I used to have to make 100s a day.

moyboy said:
Mate that looks great......I love bread and I have about 600 different recipes for different breads....

I've been making my bread in the machine just for the shear ease of it but I love doing it by hand and cooking it in the oven as well.... I do a good herb and cheese bread, and a simple but yummy tomato pesto bread....
You'll have to let me barrow a few of your recipes, And the reason I love the oven bake it's cheaper then buying a mixer although my mother is going to give me her mixer since she doesn't use it any more.

stillmanz said:
easiest way to make sure to get a good coating of batter is to put mini mars bar in the freezer for about 30 minutes , then stick a tooth pick in them and use it like a "handle" its alot neater and less mess trust me I used to have to make 100s a day.

stillmanz said:
you gotta coat themin a batter that seels them perfectly otherwise they will turn inside out, we used to sell them down the shop until I got sick of making them.
batter them in a light batter then cook until the batter is crisp. watch out they get unbelievable hot inside. like a tomatoe in a toasted jaffel lol.
Oh nice, What kind of batter?

moyboy said:
Is it as simple as just dunking the Marsbar in the oil and letting it sit for a few minutes???

My misses loves marsbars and would love to try them as a one off.....

stillmanz said:
the min mars bars with a sweet crisp batter are really good.
I bet they are & I may have to try them.

use a mix of corn flour and self raising flour add some castor sugar or similiar, use soda water only instead of water or milk, you want a stiff batter but not too thick, anyway you can tinker with it as you will, maybe add cornflakes for texture lol.

Novacastrian said:
Looks alright Phats, i have never been much chop at cooking bread though. Mine turns out more like steamed dough!

*nods* Me too, only mine is more like a sledge hammer head.

True story: I made biscuits once that, ah, were a little tough. My roommate and her boyfriend politely pushed them around their plates, but they were just bad. So, when I cleaned up the kitchen I dumped them in a bowl for the dogs. My dog carefully picked up each biscuit and took them out into the backyard and buried them, much to the delight of my roommate's boyfriend, who opened and closed the back door for her.

Pam said:
*nods* Me too, only mine is more like a sledge hammer head.

True story: I made biscuits once that, ah, were a little tough. My roommate and her boyfriend politely pushed them around their plates, but they were just bad. So, when I cleaned up the kitchen I dumped them in a bowl for the dogs. My dog carefully picked up each biscuit and took them out into the backyard and buried them, much to the delight of my roommate's boyfriend, who opened and closed the back door for her.
Thanks Pam, I don't know but I'm taking to baking like a fish takes to water.

Baking is very fun and I'm glad the dog buried them :)

Yeah man baking seems like it may be your thing. Have you ever been to a Mexican bakery? I love them. I like the way you shop with a metal tray and tongs, and pick out what you want. And some of that sh*t is mad tasty.

thehotpepper.com said:
Yeah man baking seems like it may be your thing. Have you ever been to a Mexican bakery? I love them. I like the way you shop with a metal tray and tongs, and pick out what you want. And some of that sh*t is mad tasty.
No I haven't but I'm going to make it a point this year to go to Mexico while I'm learning Spanish.

Really they make you use a tong & try?

Is it because the foods "spicy hot?"

No it's just the way you shop. They have some up here in NY and NJ. Mexican bakeries are self serve, and you walk around an pick out what you want.

thehotpepper.com said:
No it's just the way you shop. They have some up here in NY and NJ. Mexican bakeries are self serve, and you walk around an pick out what you want.
Very cool, and I betcha it's a lot more fun that way huh?

By the way I was shown how to make a tortilla today at the Mexican store.

Cool. Fresh ones rules, you need a good tortilla press.

useing fritos I'd thought the bread would have a yellow color to it but dam thats a bright white, white bread......never heard of tha concoction but it looks like it worked well!!! nice

Back