seeds Deseeding Process Question (newbie)

Hey Folks!

This is my 1st year growing from seed, and so far I have 45+ seedlings sprouted and doing great. However, my first question as a newbie is this:

1) I just deseeded some habaneros I bought at the local grocery store. I placed the seeds on a paper towel, folded it up, then place it in a window area. How long do I have to wait before I can sow these seeds?

I've never gone through this process before, as all my seeds for this year were bought from pepper seed folks! Thanks so much. This site is great and I've been reading a lot and everyone seems to be very helpful, particularly to those of us who have no idea what we're doing!! :confused:

John
(North Florida)

You had better be wearing gloves when you deseed peppers. You won't like it otherwise. If you weren't do not go to the bathroom. Do not rub your eyes. After deseeding a store pepper, I would rinse with water and h2o2 just to get rid of nasties that being in a fruit can cause. Other than that, you're fine.

There's no harm at all in planting a seed straight from the pod, that I have found. A few months back I took a Super Chile pod straight from my plant, split it open, plucked a couple seeds and planted them - within a few short days I had a hook popping up from the soil. :)

P.s.  :welcome:

I never knew you could plant fresh seeds. That is great to know! How long to dry if storing? Say for instance on a paper plate indoors.

I'd say dry them for a few days.

Last year I was impatient and dumped some seeds in a container without them being fully dried, looked at them a few days later and they were covered in fuzzy white mold.

I just cut out the seed unit and let it dry out. Then I separate out the seeds and put them in a dark spot in a small Baggie.

BTW - I've had mixed success with store pods - poorer germination rates from my experience.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I did wear rubber gloves when deseeding the habanero; last year I bought a jalapeno plant at the local Ace hardware and diced it up/deseeded it without wearing gloves. Wow!! What a horrible mistake that was. My eyes burned, my skin...and "another" area. I won't do that again. By the way, that jalapeno was the HOTTEST jalapeno I have ever eaten. All the pods had cracked skin and were blazing red. I wish I knew what kind it was. Again, thanks!

Back