• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Detroit area growers and Pro-Mix

I am having a hard time finding Pro-Mix around Detroit and an even harder time dealing with what people are charging when i do find it. In about 2 or 3 days I am going to drive out and buy
it directly from the distributor. If anyone is interested in getting some bales, PM me within the next couple of days.

You gonna subsidize the freight to Bama?
froggy.gif

Really all you need is one bale Dale of the Pro Mix BX for all your starts or gallon or smaller containers. I am using only a half bale saved from last year for all my starts maybe a couple hundred or so. Outside I will reuse and rejuvinate last years mix with the Premier Peat Moss bales, compost and lime. I bet one bale will fill at least 500 16 oz Solo cups so save a trip and gas money and spend the 40 bucks that is all you'll need planting in the ground. Good luck.

PRF, I have over 1,000 pepper seedlings already and will have over 3000 tomato seedlings in another month. I don't do solo cups. I use the 3.5 inch square pots, just looks more professional that way and probably uses the same amount of mix.

Better rent a U-Haul, really I think you could do all those plants with no more than 5 bales. I figure you can fill, this is only a guess no math, 800 square pots with each bale. Spend the 200 dollars and save the trip I still say even with that many. My tomatoes are 8 heirloom varieties I received from you have not started any yet, very excited. Did you get a HID lamp Dale?

No HID's, they will be staying under the fluorescents for now and then out to the greenhouse. the tomatoes will germinate inside and will go straight to the greenhouse. I am thinking more like 8 to 10 bales, I will be selling some tree habs in larger pots. I have the parent plant overwintering and it is about 3' tall and I will have about 20 of her offspring in pots all around so people can see what the plants look like when they grow up. You will be starting your toms soon, yes?

Did you check out hydro harrys, I believe they had the bales for around 35 bucks. Go online and print out a coupon for another 10% off.

Dale, are you aware of Bordine's Nursery? There are four locations. Right now, they have 3.0 cu ft bags of soil on sale for $9.99. They are usually $20 each. It's a Custom blend. I'm guessing a 3.8 cu ft compressed bale of Pro-Mix is 6-6.5 cu ft uncompressed. Any idea of the real amount? My point is this soil is good stuff IMO. The nursery is the largest in the state and they use their own stuff. They're pretty high end. It's great for both seed starting and growing plants to maturity. I live pretty close to Hydro Harrys. $35 is too steep for me. I still kick myself as a nursery by my home used to sell 3.8 cu ft bales of Pro-Mix for $20 a pop a year ago. I got lucky and got them for $10 each as the cashier thought they were straight peat. lol. If I had a truck, I would've bought them out. $20 was still a great price.

Can you get other formulations than just Pro-Mix Bx Dale? I'm kind of interested in the PGX mix that Potawie raves about. :) I'd consider Bordines mix though. The sale runs through February.

Hydro Harry's is in South Warren. You could pop on I-75 and take it to I-696.

Chris

I don't know what all is available to everyone but I'm also a big fan of fafard and lambert mixes. They are very comparable to pro-mix and usually cheaper, and there are many other less expensive brands out there too. If you don't mind a bit of roughage(sticks, chunks) then sunshine mix is another cheap alternative but you do get spoiled after using the best.

I seen pro-mix in Detroit, $33.95/bale or 10 FOR $288.57 if that helps at all
http://www.hydro-heaven.com/products

Using Sunshine LP5 Plug Mix (2.8 C. F.) purchased at Wojo’s Greenhouse fro $15.00. It’s a large professional greenhouse; they told me that they had used Pro-Mix in the past but this works just as well for them and a whole lot cheaper. For what it’s worth, I went with their recommendation, they’re the pros. Working O.K. for me, have 100 plugs going with more to come.

http://www.wojos.com

When I talked to one of the main distributors in Grand Rapids he also mentioned the Lambert's mix and he said that he prefers it over Pro-Mix. I am not dead set on Pro-Mix but would like to get something comparable to it. Chris, I believe that a compressed bale comes out at a little over 7 uncompressed, so at 10.00 bucks a pop for 3 uncompressed it is a savings. I think I might take a ride to Bordine's and take a look at thier mix. I would'nt mind finding some of the Lamberts close to me either, it is considerably cheaper than Pro-Mix. I also looked at the sunshine mix at the hydro store by me and the guy wanted 42.00 a bale, I had to laugh.(out loud)

Bordine's mix has excellent qualities such as good water retention, but no excess amounts retained. It's a pretty fine mix too. No giant sticks or garbage material. I like it. Let me know what you think. I agree Fafards is decent too, but I prefer Bordines. It's cheaper when on sale ($10 vs. $12-$13 for a 3 cu ft uncompressed bag).

Hey guys - been a while. Hope everybody is doing well. Last time I checked in, I think this forum had a blue background or something. Pro-Mix BX is the bomb IMO. Last year, I had so many pods, I literally got burned out. BX works better than anything else I've ever tried for seed starts also. Just add water and heat and watch em grow. Almost seed starting time for me now but I won't be growing much. I still have 30 plants leftover from last year and they all look pretty decent so I expect them to kick ass again this year. Only adding a shot of Osmocote to the pots around April or so. Cappys "brain strain" claimed another victim on Super Bowl Sunday. I gave some dried pods to my neighbor and his brother in law did not respect them when applying to his bowl of chili. ("I can handle anything" type of guy) He told me it crushed him for a day and a half, continual episodes of shitting fire. I had to laugh. Been there, done that. Peace, out.

Good spec sheet on BX: http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/Horticulture/TechnicalData/pdf/TD2-PRO-MIXBX-MYCORISE.pdf

bigt, we all agree with the quality of the Pro-Mix but it is pricing itself out, for me anyway. It is the only mix i have ever used. I am going to use about 10 bales this year so need to find a cheap source or a cheaper alternative.

Chris, I called Bordines and they said they do not add any water retention properties to thier mix but I will take your word for the quality. I'm going out there Thursday or Friday.

thepodpiper said:
bigt, we all agree with the quality of the Pro-Mix but it is pricing itself out, for me anyway. It is the only mix i have ever used. I am going to use about 10 bales this year so need to find a cheap source or a cheaper alternative.

Chris, I called Bordines and they said they do not add any water retention properties to thier mix but I will take your word for the quality. I'm going out there Thursday or Friday.

I hear you Dale, Pro-Mix went up on me 25% just last year. I had great results last year on several of my pots mixing Pro-Mix with the much cheaper Premier Peat. Also sold in bales. I think you could safely combine them 50-50, maybe throw in a bit more perlite, and still have an excellent medium.

bigt, I bought some of the premier peat last year to mix in but did not like it, I still have 3/4 of a bale left. I'll probably throw it in the garden this spring when I till . I went to the Bordine Nursery this morning and bought 10 bags of their mix, brought it home and compared it to what little Pro-Mix I had left and by appearance and consistency there is no difference at all. The only thing is, is that there is nothing in it as far as micro nutrients and such. It is a good deal at 10 bucks a bag but would never give them their full price of 19.95 per.

Anything around the Hillsdale area? Kind of at the mercy of having to buy from Wally World unless I can by some miracle get to Bryan or Defiance OH.

Kevin

I agree Dale. Hell would freeze over before I pay $20 a bag for their mix. $10 is reasonable. I like the consistency. Can you add micronutrients another way to compensate Dale? I hope the soil works out for you. That's a pretty cool nursery in the summer too!

Chris

Chris, what are you doing up so late? Yes it is a very large facility but their prices are way to high. The only way i would go back is for the mix (at 10.00 a bag).

Back