• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

devil's tongue chocolate?

ok so I planted some devils tongue(red) seeds and ended up w/ 1(outta 3) not great but i was happy one came up, it has been growing normally all year, now the pods are starting to ripen and they have turned chocolate brown :crazy: now I know this is my first year growing and had never heard of devils tongue until I got the seeds for it, also i know they were open pollenated, and I know that some thais turn brownish before red, but this is different these are straight up chocolate, like a choc bhut, a little lighter than my choc habs but chocolate just the same so far I have only one ripe but the other 2 that are starting to ripen are also turning chocolate, is this normal? somehow i dont think so, but anyone who has grown can feel free to chime in! :eek:

I am actually doing a review of a devils tongue chocolate tonight that was sent to me to try. They do exist, yours could be a cross or a mutant. Talk to your seed source, if you can, for their opinion.

I've heard many stories and have known a few people to grow the Devils Tounge Red and have had yellow pods or chocolate pods once ripened.. I've had the chocolate and in my opinion the flavor is alot better than the red. I don't have a scientific answer for ya, I just know it's common. I believe Jimduffy even has a disclaimer on his DevilsTounge Red seeds, warning of yellow or chocolate pods, and he grows his in isolation..tell me how much sense that makes?
Brandon

how does one postr pictures here I can take pictures and post them, I feel like "unfrozen caveman lawyer" sometimes , when I see these photos on my screen I think to myself is that little demons appearing before my eyes, I dont know about all this posting to the internet stuff but what I do know is that when my client slips and falls on the steps of the public library, he deserves 1.4 million in punative damages and 1.7 million in compensatory damages thank you! Sorry too much SNL back in the day, but seriously, I just learned how to post to garden web not too long ago, but it is different here so if someone could share the ultra super secret trick to posting here I would be glad to send photos! :)

I am actually doing a review of a devils tongue chocolate tonight that was sent to me to try. They do exist, yours could be a cross or a mutant. Talk to your seed source, if you can, for their opinion.
btw not to threadjack myself, but beaglestorm, love the video reviews Fine Work Sir, Fine Work!

I've heard many stories and have known a few people to grow the Devils Tounge Red and have had yellow pods or chocolate pods once ripened.. I've had the chocolate and in my opinion the flavor is alot better than the red. I don't have a scientific answer for ya, I just know it's common. I believe Jimduffy even has a disclaimer on his DevilsTounge Red seeds, warning of yellow or chocolate pods, and he grows his in isolation..tell me how much sense that makes?
Brandon
doesnt make much sense to me either, in this case i love chocolate peppers and only have choc habs and choc bhuts growing so one less red and one more choclate doesnt bother me any, only it kinda makes it sound like an unstable hybrid doesnt it? :crazy:

The original Devils Tongue (Like the Original Fatalii) is yellow. Red and Chocolate are crosses and are probably not stabalized from what I keep reading about the different colors being reported from growing the seeds...

how does one postr pictures here I can take pictures and post them, I feel like "unfrozen caveman lawyer" sometimes , when I see these photos on my screen I think to myself is that little demons appearing before my eyes, I dont know about all this posting to the internet stuff but what I do know is that when my client slips and falls on the steps of the public library, he deserves 1.4 million in punative damages and 1.7 million in compensatory damages thank you! Sorry too much SNL back in the day, but seriously, I just learned how to post to garden web not too long ago, but it is different here so if someone could share the ultra super secret trick to posting here I would be glad to send photos! :)

I send my pics to photobucket then copy the direct link from there, bucket is free and has allot of cool features.

You can use several different sites to post pics, I prefer Photobucket.com Its free and easy. After uploading your images to photobucket, if you cursor over the image they will give you 4 codes under each image, left click the "IMG code" and then right click on your forum post area to paste into the post. Its just as easy as that. :D :D :D

thanks guys, GW uses the HTML code from photobucket, therein lied my confusion, domo arrigato, che che, muchos gracias, merci beau coup, dunca shoen, and grazzi alem! :dance: :woohoo:

so as promised:
100_1159.jpg

100_1157.jpg

a chocolate hab and a chocolate bhut for comparison(chocolate hab on left)
100_1158.jpg

Doesn't look like any Devils Tongue I've ever seen. They resemble a Fatalii just slightly smaller and not quite as bumpy. Your chocolate BJ looks more like a Devils Tongue than your Devils Tongue. Figure that out. :lol:

Looks like a Jamaican Hot Chocolate to me, but who knows. Sometimes peppers dont look like they are supposed to due to cross pollination, but you can never be sure what the cross is with.

http://a4dibbleplants.co.nz/images/chilli%20JAMAICAN-HOT-CHOCOLATE.jpg

Back