• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

Trident chilli said:
Excellent grow Scott you have smashed this season ..... Hugel bed is a winner plants loving their new home

Thanks John!

I'm still waiting for the Chinense to kick in and show their stuff. They're ready!

The Hugel Bed has surpassed my first season expectations by far! And they say they get better each year ;)  My next little experiment is going where the onions are planted. I'm going to make a "Terra Preta" like bed. I just don't know yet how much soil to cover the char with.

Devv said:
Hi Rick!

We just used a tomato sauce LB came up with. Garden grown tom's, fresh basil, oregano with some olive oil, and a dash garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.

The plants are doing well, the weather is conducive to nice growth and fruit setting.

183.jpg

Large Orange Thai, ready to pour on the pod production.

184.jpg

Saw the Lady Bug, then the ants, and a few Aphids. We're expecting rain, so Ma Nature has this one.

185.jpg

Poblano had a few pods.

186.jpg

Jimmy Nardello ready for business.

189.jpg

Gochu should have the first ripe pods.

190.jpg

I believe this is the B-Goat, forking nicely with the start of some flowers :dance:

191.jpg

One of the GD plants.

192.jpg

We will have pods soon!

193.jpg

Mr. Kurt aka-Kurtovska Kapijas loading up!

187.jpg

Got the rest of the mulch down. The initial pile of mature mulch was about 7'x20'x3' high, it's almost gone now. I have a few more plants that need a final home. I may just pot them up. You can see here I scaled back some, still planted way more than we can use. :drooling:

188.jpg

The plants in the Hugel Bed are doing much better than I expected for a the first year ;)
Rocking that garden Scott !   Great to see Pods ,  gonna be a great grow ,      :party:

This Glog is a real education Scott, beds are doing you proud, your going to be well rewarded for your efforts. Seeing your Gochu loading up is awesome, I know it's a annum but one that excites me as I cannot wait to make Ricks Gochuang spicy ketchup.

Plants are looking stellar buddy. Bossing it big time.
How's the mata gang ?

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

moruga welder said:
Rocking that garden Scott !   Great to see Pods ,  gonna be a great grow ,      :party:

Thanks Frank!

I'm still waiting on the Chinense to kick in and go nuts. I should have started them earlier; I have a bout 6 weeks before it gets hot. Once June hits I might get another two weeks if Ma Nature is in a good mood.

Superhot Sim said:
This Glog is a real education Scott, beds are doing you proud, your going to be well rewarded for your efforts. Seeing your Gochu loading up is awesome, I know it's a annum but one that excites me as I cannot wait to make Ricks Gochuang spicy ketchup.

Plants are looking stellar buddy. Bossing it big time.
How's the mata gang ?

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Thanks Sim!

The Maters are doing well:

196.jpg

197.jpg

The taller ones are closing in on 5 feet.

198.jpg

They're setting fruit at the 3 foot level.

199.jpg

Here ya go Eric! It's flowering ;)  It's behind the taller ones by 3-4 weeks, but it has enough time to bulk up and set.

200.jpg

Always glad to see my little soldiers at work ;)

201.jpg

The Urfa Bieber's came through true.

202.jpg

The Billy Bikers did not. I saved these seeds from Biker pods a few years ago that were sent to me, I forget who sent them. Evidently, we have a cross going on as these look like Jimmy Nardello's kinda...

203.jpg

The Purple Jalapeno is doing well, setting pods and more flowers. This is my first year growing these, how do I know when they're ripe? Anyone?

204.jpg

Large Orange Thai has pods! This is a good all around pepper that won't run the family off :shh:

205.jpg

The back half of the garden. Some Comfrey, if anyone wants some PM me. Garlic and the crazy Peach tree. I cut this thing back, way back and it grows like crazy. This is the downhill side of the garden and the nutrients wash down from the upper portion, no need to fertilize down here. Note the potatoes below, we just stuck them in the dirt.

207.jpg

F5 NagaBrain in RCW in background.

206.jpg

Here's the NagaBrain, it's doing "OK".

208.jpg

First ripe (almost) pod! Mini Red Rocoto.

209.jpg

Late starts from Gary. P Dreadie and a BOC

Hi Scott, you're getting stellar results! Nice to see the start of ripening pods, and a little surprised that the first would be a C. Pubiscens, but not complaining. :woohoo: Here's hoping it's the start of a very fruitful season.

I'm not surprised the Biker Billy didn't grow true... it was an f1 cross right outta the gate, so unstable in succeeding generations.

I'll be experimenting this year with green mulch under my taller plants that don't go into plastic mulch. I got a pound of Dutch White Clover seeds to sow underneath my Tomatoes and Lacinato Kale once they get well-established. This variety of Clover is only supposed to grow 6 inches tall, so it shouldn't shade out the veggies it's surrounding, but it'll grow thick and smother weeds, prevent erosion by wind or water, scavenge nutes and hold them in place, and add nitrogen to the soil to boot! It's a persistent perennial, but can be relatively easily smothered at the end of the season by covering with a thick cardboard or old carpet kill-mulch. Then by spring, the area will be ready to plant again. Your comment about nutrient drift in your beds makes me think you might be interested in this.

Cheers!

Wow Scott looks like your garden is on fire, everything looks superb! Great job and those maters are already going crazy. I've made it a sport to get them setting fruit as low as possible, that way I can get more yield cause I can only go to 7 ft plants  :shh:

OCD Chilehead said:
Excellent looking plants. The garden is looking fantastic. Peach tree is doing well. I wish I had fruit trees. I'm thinking of planting blackberry and raspberry plants.

Thanks Chuck!

I started with 15 Peach trees, I think I'm down to 12 now. I bought them in pairs of different chill hour ratings to see which do the best here. 3 of them set in mid February, rather early because there was still a chance of a frost. Somewhere I have a chart of what was planted where, and will buy more of the ones that produce well. We picked the first Peach today; once the green bottom turns yellow they're ready. They're usually eaten by the birds and the Racoons. So were going to pull them at first sign of ripening. That loaded down tree was like that last year and we only got to eat 4 :tear: Can you believe I removed more than half so they would not stress the tree?

stickman said:
Hi Scott, you're getting stellar results! Nice to see the start of ripening pods, and a little surprised that the first would be a C. Pubiscens, but not complaining. :woohoo: Here's hoping it's the start of a very fruitful season.

Well the Gochu has one turning, so I'll consider IT the real first one of the season. The C. Pubiscens were planted in mid summer; but that's the only way I get pods from them it seems.

I'm not surprised the Biker Billy didn't grow true... it was an f1 cross right outta the gate, so unstable in succeeding generations.

Now this I didn't know. But I did grow some from different seeds that were true last year. One thing I need to do is have a better method of organizing my seeds

I'll be experimenting this year with green mulch under my taller plants that don't go into plastic mulch. I got a pound of Dutch White Clover seeds to sow underneath my Tomatoes and Lacinato Kale once they get well-established. This variety of Clover is only supposed to grow 6 inches tall, so it shouldn't shade out the veggies it's surrounding, but it'll grow thick and smother weeds, prevent erosion by wind or water, scavenge nutes and hold them in place, and add nitrogen to the soil to boot! It's a persistent perennial, but can be relatively easily smothered at the end of the season by covering with a thick cardboard or old carpet kill-mulch. Then by spring, the area will be ready to plant again. Your comment about nutrient drift in your beds makes me think you might be interested in this.

I'll be watching to see how your experiment does. Any fear of them "stealing" from the intended crops?

I used cardboard 2 years ago to kill out sedge grass (nut grass). First I watered well in August after the garden was done to bring them out. Then used the pitch fork to expose the nut, which I disposed of. Then I covered the affected portion of the garden with cardboard and left it on until almost spring. I think I chased down 3 after that and haven't seen any more.

Also if you noticed I created several barriers to effectively terrace the garden The fence is one, and I have two more using 1x8's. I'm hoping that helps with the nutrient drift ;)  Do you think the Clover will do well here?

Cheers!

Blitz527 said:
I am seriously.jealous awesome work. Looks amazing. Congrats on the first pods. I'm over here peeking every hour for signs of a flower HAHAHAHA come plant out, it won't take long I'm sure.

Thanks Alex!

That garden is many years of work in the making, and that never stops ;)  But that's half the fun! Soon it will be where I envisioned it to be many, many moons ago ;)

You probably don't know this. But my season will end by early July. By then it gets way too hot to keep them watered and they will stop setting by early June; so it's a wait until mid September to see if they want to flower again. If I wait that long, I'll be pulling pods in December and January. But that time of year is to start the next season :rolleyes:  I done it a few times, like last year. But not anymore. The last thin I want to do is get burned out on my favorite pastime.

So later this season I'll be watching all the Northern growers :P

meatfreak said:
Wow Scott looks like your garden is on fire, everything looks superb! Great job and those maters are already going crazy. I've made it a sport to get them setting fruit as low as possible, that way I can get more yield cause I can only go to 7 ft plants  :shh:

Thanks Stefan!

Maters I can do. The Chinense test me and I'm still trying to figure them out ;)  So how do you train them to go 7'? Mine are about the height they get just before they start to fall down because the support limit has been reached. I need to break out the 3/8 rebar and stake the cages. :shh:

Back