• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

This looks much closer than the Tarantula Hawk, and the picture was taken in Texas. The antennae are orange, unlike your pic Scott, but the head, legs and body are a much closer match. http://www.thehibbitts.net/troy/photo/misc_arthropods/mydas_fly.htm

There's some color variation within the species and I've seen pics of some with black antennae like your pic. http://www.backyardnature.net/n/14/140629my.jpg

They're generally beneficial since the larvae feed on beetle grubs in the soil and they're native to Texas.   http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-42_mydas_fly_2_(Mydas_sp.).htm

Matas ,Tatas , peppers ripening up for you , should be patting yourself on the back Scott , love watching any grower making the most of their garden / seasons etc , your never replace flavours from your own back yard.

Plants are loading up nicely and the ripe pods your picking /eating now all have nice rich colours. With all your matas and i know you like your red sauce :lol: you going to try Ricks Gochuang spicy ketchup. :dance:
Dont beat yaself down my friend your bossing it and peppers coming your way.

stickman said:
This looks much closer than the Tarantula Hawk, and the picture was taken in Texas. The antennae are orange, unlike your pic Scott, but the head, legs and body are a much closer match. http://www.thehibbitts.net/troy/photo/misc_arthropods/mydas_fly.htm

There's some color variation within the species and I've seen pics of some with black antennae like your pic. http://www.backyardnature.net/n/14/140629my.jpg

They're generally beneficial since the larvae feed on beetle grubs in the soil and they're native to Texas.   http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-42_mydas_fly_2_(Mydas_sp.).htm

Oh I hope they hunt the beetle grubs; I've seen them destroy the potted plants, eating 70% of the roots. And we do have Tarantula's here. I've learned not to point them out to LB...LOL

Superhot Sim said:
Matas ,Tatas , peppers ripening up for you , should be patting yourself on the back Scott , love watching any grower making the most of their garden / seasons etc , your never replace flavours from your own back yard.

Plants are loading up nicely and the ripe pods your picking /eating now all have nice rich colours. With all your matas and i know you like your red sauce :lol: you going to try Ricks Gochuang spicy ketchup. :dance:
Dont beat yaself down my friend your bossing it and peppers coming your way.

Thanks Sim!

We try to grow what we like here. The best part is LB (the wife) is now all about looking for her favorite peppers. I do half the grow now just for her, she's even using the Hab class peppers to season with now ;)

I'd like to try that ketchup, do you know where he posted the recipe?

Devv said:

Thanks Sim!

We try to grow what we like here. The best part is LB (the wife) is now all about looking for her favorite peppers. I do half the grow now just for her, she's even using the Hab class peppers to season with now ;)

I'd like to try that ketchup, do you know where he posted the recipe?

This is very cool.  Getting the wife involved makes it even more special! 

OCD Chilehead said:
Just giving you a hard time. I know what you mean. Lots of stuff going on and not enough time to do it all in one or two days.

Oh yeah, been processing maters, taters, onions, and peppers. Had the 5 G-Kids over last weekend, it goes on and on.

I did take some pics last week and never had the time to put them up:

304.jpg

I took this last week, and wanted to know what made the 3 holes. Two of them are shown here. I emptied the pot in a wheelbarrow.

305.jpg

This is what I found. A few years back I had a plant almost die due to grubs eating the roots. I'm sure this one planned to lay eggs. I replaced the soil. This is also the plant that had that tarantula wasp sitting on the leaf.

306.jpg

308.jpg

Pulling a few here and there..

309.jpg

The Red Manzano is finally budding up. This plant is from spring of last year.

314.jpg

B.O.C.'s doing well.

310.jpg

313.jpg

Gnarly looking pods...

311.jpg

312.jpg

Scotch Brains :dance:

315.jpg

Pubes

316.jpg

Aji Oro round two ;)

317.jpg

319.jpg

318.jpg

P.Dreadie's :party:

324.jpg

326.jpg

Been working on compost bins, added another and scavenged about a 1/3 of a yard of good old Tejas cow pie.

327.jpg

Hugel bed plants are doing well.

328.jpg

329.jpg

These plant are coming back, finally....

Bump please

The garden is looking amazing. I see the hard work there. Scotch Brains looks great, as well as Dreadie.

BOC plants are going to be great producers.

The bins are cool. I gave up on mine. I need the space . I may move it to compost manure. Just smaller bin. I buy compost and composted wood chips. $30 a yard of the good compost. Enough for my amending.

Looks like the Hugel bed will get better and better every year.

Glad everything is coming around full circle.

330.jpg

Aji Dulce

331.jpg

332.jpg

JA Hab OW's in pots are putting pods on.

333.jpg

It's hard to see with the brightness, but this White Bhut is loading up ;)

335.jpg

B-Goat is too, the foliage is too thick, and the plant is in a hole. Hard to get an under the skirt pic.

336.jpg

Poblano's are coming in at just the right pace to eat them as they ripen ;)

337.jpg

Short stubby Jalamundo loaded.

321.jpg

320.jpg

322.jpg

Growdown gal flowering and setting pods like crazy. This plant is a beast :dance:

OCD Chilehead said:
The garden is looking amazing. I see the hard work there. Scotch Brains looks great, as well as Dreadie.

BOC plants are going to be great producers.

The bins are cool. I gave up on mine. I need the space . I may move it to compost manure. Just smaller bin. I buy compost and composted wood chips. $30 a yard of the good compost. Enough for my amending.

Looks like the Hugel bed will get better and better every year.

Glad everything is coming around full circle.

Thanks Chuck!

Better late than never ;)

I put the bins there because that spot is shaded until June with the 6' fence. It's for leaves and manure, the kitchen waste goes into a rodent proof system until the worms break it down. I keep saying I'm scaling the garden back to a more manageable size; and don't so this helps...LOL

Scott you have some awesome plants there...I have nothing to compare to those beauties at this time.We have been inundated with rain
for a long time,seems like forever.
An occasional day with a few hours of sun is all we are seeing,mostly in the 60's with nights mid 40's,,GH almost useless for now.Nice to
see you have adequate heat to spark growth & fruiting,continued success. :P

Back