• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2017-Having a good time in the dirt

Another season has come and gone. Time to start a new one!

Although I did already a few weeks ago :shh: . After last years dismal (late) start I jumped in a bit early to insure I could have viable plants come dirt day. I can always cut them back, if I need to. I have to compile a list yet, but I'm growing the full spectrum. Sweets, to supers, based upon what we will actually use. Most of my list is to make LB happy; I'm really glad to see her infuse peppers in more and more dishes. Can't beat that when the wife takes interest ;)

1.jpg

Not the best pic; but the shelf is being sketchy, and I don't need all the babies bouncing off the floor.

Good luck to all this season :party:

Sorry to hear about your health issues Scott... I guess as we get older it'll come more to the forefront.

Plants are looking great, and blossoms on the Pubes is a bonus! When will you be starting soil prep, or is that an ongoing thing?

stickman said:
Sorry to hear about your health issues Scott... I guess as we get older it'll come more to the forefront.

Plants are looking great, and blossoms on the Pubes is a bonus! When will you be starting soil prep, or is that an ongoing thing?

Hi Rick!

Yeah I'm a broke down puppy from all the years as an auto tech, and playing way too hard. I guess my main issue is when I feel good, and I mainly do. I act like I'm 20, knock out the chore, because I can, and pay the price. It's not so much general health, but wear and tear. But alas, I refuse to get old....and it's not working so much anymore..LOL. But the German in me is in denial ;)  it over rules the rest of my genes..LOL

Thanks for the kudos on the plants, and as always soil prep is a major goal. This year I skipped the cover crop to let all the mulch I put in the last 2-3 years mature. And focused instead on building a real fence to keep the rabbits out, and deal with the crazy winds we get when Ma Nature decides things here look too good. That's done. Still working on biochar production, and grinding mulch with the chipper to add between the rows.

Datil said:
Everything looks great Devv!
I wish you an amazing season!

Datil

Thanks Fabrizio ;)

I'm wishing you success as well! One of these days after I retire I really need to visit the land of my ancestors, they're from the Milan area.

FiresOfNil said:
Where dem updates at Devv? At this rate I'll catch up, my plants are growing like weeds. Are those baccatum flowers sticking? Are you pollinating them?

Sorry, but too many irons in the fire this and last week. Multiple family things (non bad) and car issues for both me and my son. I just now sat down...

Updates forthcoming!

Devv said:

Sorry, but too many irons in the fire this and last week. Multiple family things (non bad) and car issues for both me and my son. I just now sat down...

Updates forthcoming!

Well hopefully things'll be smoother sailing for ya.
Glad to hear the family things are non bad at least!

Devv said:
It seems the older I get the busier I am. I never thought it would work that way..LOL

You should come see my Money Pit. Nary a day I'm not putting something back together or tearing something apart....to put back together tomorrow.

I'm going to die with a screw gun in one hand and a skill saw in the other...

PaulG said:
Looking great, Scott!  Plants in all stages of
growth and pods in January!  Is this heaven?

Thanks Paul!

Went with the early start to insure I had decent sized come dirt day. Unlike last years slow start :shh:

Pods in January, kinda crazy eh? We had the freaky, once in 25 -30 year cold front from heck, and now I have Peach trees blooming. 2 are in full bloom. I never know, they may well set and carry on!

stettoman said:

You should come see my Money Pit. Nary a day I'm not putting something back together or tearing something apart....to put back together tomorrow.

I'm going to die with a screw gun in one hand and a skill saw in the other...

Eric, if you're a do-it your-selfer it never ends! Been here in this house since 1989. Added 800 square feet, ripped it down to the studs on the inside, to remove the paneling. Sheet rocked it, hung solid wood doors through out, pulled up the linoleum and ceramic tiled the floors. New outside doors. Changed out all the windows to double pane, had to raise the bottoms up as they were so low a toddler could trip and hit glass. Hardi planked the outside and put a new metal roof on. Built custom cabinets in the kitchen for my favorite person ;)  Complete with a down draft 6 burner Jenair setup. Then there's the 32x32 wood shop I built. I did everything but the addition of the HVAC system, and I could go on I'm sure. AND I'm not finished! And probably never will...

But ain't the screw gun one of he best tools ever?

Trident chilli said:
Take it easy Scott ..... looking forward to seeing the Hugelbed full of healthy plants bathed in Devine sun

Hi John!

Good to see you. Yes taking it easy since the hugel beds, old age creaking up I guess. But I tend to think it's too long between outdoor work sessions, and having a desk job. Will I stop? Um, never, just can't :shh:

I have a few pics:

37.jpg

Gary, aka Windchicken sent me some saweet seeds!

38.jpg

Eric aka Stettoman sent me some tomato seeds to see how they do down here. All the above seeds are planted already.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

The older plants, oh boy, I'm already in trouble. They are getting way too big too fast. But,.....this is way better than tiny, come dirt day here :shh: These are basking under a T5, and you can see the minor burn on a few plants. I think it hits the yellows more.

35.jpg

These are the ones I separated Thursday morning, I did quite a bit of snipping :tear: But these and all above are now one plant per pot.
Chuck, aka OCD Chillihead sent me some of these seeds; Big Black Mama, Scotchbrain, B.O.C., and a few others (brain fart). Gochu's are from seeds I saved from Rick's pods aka Stickman. Actually 99% came from THP members. Ya just can't beat it!

39.jpg

40.jpg

36.jpg

The top shelf under T8 lighting.The smaller ones are the youngest peppers and maters.

My Pubes in the #1 pots were on the driveway when the 40mph winds ran through here a few days ago. It beat them up pretty bad and I need a whipping for leaving them out there. One plant looked like a torch had been put up to it. All the leaves are toasted; thankfully it's putting new growth on. Too embarrassed to show them :confused: :rolleyes:  Film at 11....

Thanks for stopping by!

I'm never much for the foodies part of glogging, but this is one of my favorites. I've posted this before; but we have a whole new crowd here at THP, so here goes.

Being of Italian decent, and growing up in N.Y. where Italian food is really big, AND the fact that LB can cook a mean Italian meal. So tonight she made something we haven't had in quite a while. Whether you call it Strombolli like we do or Calzone, it doesn't matter. What matters is it's kick ass, eat till you're stuffed kinda food.

For the sauce recipe, find it here:

http://www.devtex.net/recipe.html

Just scroll down.

OK:

41.jpg

Roll out your favorite pizza dough and on top place the meatballs (LB went a bit weak on them this time around, use a bit more)
42.jpg

A layer of Pepperoni is added..

43.jpg

Then the  Provolone cheese.

44.jpg

Next whole milk Mozzarella, yes use whole milk. It does make a difference!

45.jpg

Fold the edges and use a fork to seal them. Cut the slices so it doesn't explode...LOL
I made the Pizza Peel from Maple scraps when they put in a new gym floor at one of the campuses ;)

46.jpg

About 20 minutes @ 350° on a pizza stone.

47.jpg

Yum

48.jpg

And then mangia!

Back