• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

TrentL said:
Hey it's Wednesday where's the "peppers hit the dirt" pictures!!!!

Oh, I think you misunderstood. That was outside until nasty again Wednesday. They be back under lights, 43° out there now. IF the weather holds maters March 1st, peppers April 1st. Might go earlier on the peppers if the soil temps improve ;)

TrentL said:
Oooh yeah I mis-read. I was all excited about seeing plants hit the dirt. So long away for us here, I have to live vicariously. :)

So a few plants hit the dirt yesterday. The soil was rather warm, a lot warmer than I expected. A good sign. These were about 2 feet tall before planting..

84.jpg

Spring has most definitely arrived here.

90.jpg

The trip to the shop from the garden is around 125 yards.

The lights are off and they "should" be good.

86.jpg

10 trips to haul these gals into the garden, now to plant!

87.jpg

88.jpg

Some are forking and trying to make flowers, which I've been pinching off.

89.jpg

Although I had them out for close to a week, then inside, now in full sun, I'm sure some sunburn will happen. :shh:

82.jpg

The OW's mixed in with a few I potted up. Kinda breezy here today. 3 of those in the #7 pots are Zapotec Jals and the other one is a Gochu. A couple of growdowns in #2 pots as well.

83.jpg

P. Dreadie in a 15 gallon bag.

I have my fingers crossed that the weather holds!

Devv said:

So a few plants hit the dirt yesterday. The soil was rather warm, a lot warmer than I expected. A good sign. These were about 2 feet tall before planting..

84.jpg

Spring has most definitely arrived here.

90.jpg

The trip to the shop from the garden is around 125 yards.

The lights are off and they "should" be good.

86.jpg

10 trips to haul these gals into the garden, now to plant!

87.jpg

88.jpg

Some are forking and trying to make flowers, which I've been pinching off.

89.jpg

Although I had them out for close to a week, then inside, now in full sun, I'm sure some sunburn will happen. :shh:

82.jpg

The OW's mixed in with a few I potted up. Kinda breezy here today. 3 of those in the #7 pots are Zapotec Jals and the other one is a Gochu. A couple of growdowns in #2 pots as well.

83.jpg

P. Dreadie in a 15 gallon bag.

I have my fingers crossed that the weather holds!
We all hope the same for ya Scott... nice to see plants in the ground again in the northern hemisphere!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Congrats on the maters going in! 

I didn't have good luck with the trench type planting in the past. I tried it in 2014 and the curve where the plant stood up, it compressed at the bend, and under the weight of the plant when they got about 4-feet high, ended up killing them. Of course, didn't help that I was also fighting a bad septoria outbreak in the garden. 

I dunno what I did wrong, I probably encouraged too "sharp" of a curve or something when I planted the bottom 2/3 horizontal. 

Doesn't matter in the end, septoria did the ones in the compressed stalks didn't kill, and went to work on the peppers too. I did manage to get some "ok" tomatoes before i pulled the plants, but that was it for that garden. That septoria crap lives in the dirt for years, so I converted that space back to lawn.

stickman said:
We all hope the same for ya Scott... nice to see plants in the ground again in the northern hemisphere!

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Thanks Rick!

I now have over half in the ground (Maters). A few each day will get the job done.

I took off Monday to have enough time to get the peppers going. I'm going to reuse the IRT plastic from last year to get some of the Annuums in the soil. That and mixing up my potting soil mix for those that will live in the pots. So glad I found 2cf bags of Pro Mix for $5 each! I had the wifey car and I could only put 5 in the trunk ;)  Funny how the price went back up to $17.97 the next day. If I had the truck I would have bought ALL of them!

TrentL said:
Congrats on the maters going in! 

I didn't have good luck with the trench type planting in the past. I tried it in 2014 and the curve where the plant stood up, it compressed at the bend, and under the weight of the plant when they got about 4-feet high, ended up killing them. Of course, didn't help that I was also fighting a bad septoria outbreak in the garden. 

I dunno what I did wrong, I probably encouraged too "sharp" of a curve or something when I planted the bottom 2/3 horizontal. 

Doesn't matter in the end, septoria did the ones in the compressed stalks didn't kill, and went to work on the peppers too. I did manage to get some "ok" tomatoes before i pulled the plants, but that was it for that garden. That septoria crap lives in the dirt for years, so I converted that space back to lawn.

Thanks Trent!

I just let the maters stand up by themselves; they will do it in most cases overnight. It's been working for me for close to 40 years now....dang, I'm getting old!

PeriPeri said:
woohoo Scott!!! Awesome D-day at last! Looking forward to seeing them go from strength to strength buddy :)

Thanks Lourens!

The soil is so much nicer this year, almost like potting soil. About time!

That and for the first time EVER while planting I saw worms! Talk about getting excited over the little things; but it's been since 1989 here (off and on) building the soil. Mostly on ;)

beerbreath81 said:
Looking good over your way, nice work on the maters and those OW are looking really good. Take care and enjoy the spring weather

:cheers:

Thanks Anthony!

Spring is short here, gotta hit it fast and hard ;)

Good luck this season!

Devv said:

Thanks Lourens!

That and for the first time EVER while planting I saw worms! Talk about getting excited over the little things; but it's been since 1989 here (off and on) building the soil. Mostly on ;)

That is fantastic news Scott. Once the soil changes and the worms move in that soil is just perfect and will get even better with time - make that soil nice and loamy. :metal: :dance: :party:

Devv said:

Thanks Lourens!

Good news about worms being present Scott! Just one thing... do you have Armadillos in your area? They love worms too...

Devv said:

Thanks Trent!

I just let the maters stand up by themselves; they will do it in most cases overnight. It's been working for me for close to 40 years now....dang, I'm getting old!

Ahh see that's probably where I went wrong. I "encouraged" them to bend up at the end of the trench. Then when they started growing there was hard-packed clay immediately under the curve. Once the plant got heavy it compressed that bend, water and nutes quit flowing up the stem, and they died.

Lesson learned. :)

Dinsdale said:

Lucky you! A sight for sore eyes...
I'm in zone 8a, but it's 17°F and it's snowing right now... 

Yes, I'm very pleased, it's been a rather colder winter this year far more cold and drizzle. I'm ready for some sun!

Back