• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv-2018-Loving life in the dirt

Here we go again! ;)

This year will be a mix of in the dirt and container growing. Mostly in the dirt. I have some OW's going, 5 are cut back, 6 are pubes that still spend time outdoors as the weather allows. I have pH issues in the dirt, working on that, and hoping for some better results this season. One thing the wife and I decided is to NOT grow into the fall again. I was pulling plants the same weekend I started my seeds. I'm using 4 2 bulb T8's with 6,500K bulbs, and 1 4 bulb T5 with I believe 6,500K bulbs.

So here's the list:

Planted 12-3-17

~Aji Amarillo
~Aji Dulce
~Scotchbrain
~Scotchbrain-Morugawelder
~P. Dreadie's-Windchicken
~BOC-Windchicken
 JA Habs
~Aji Oro
~pdn-bonda w PaulG
~pdn-bonda p PaulG
~pumpkin bb6-Morugawelder
~pumpkin bubblegum Bhuter
~orangegum tigermamp Bhuter
~7-pot cinder Bhuter
~pimente-neyde Bhuter
~Big Black mama-OCD Chilihead
~Brainstrain-Reaper OCD Chilihead

Planted 12-30-2017

~Jalapeno-Zapotec, Orange, Farmers.
~Poblano
~Bell-Yellow, Red.
~padrons
Hot Hatch
~Ancho
~Antep Aci Dolma
~Big Jim
~Anaheim
~Large Orange Thai
~Gochu-Stickman
~Aji Limo Rojo
Jimmy Nardello

Planted 1-1-2018

~Yellow Brainstrain- Pepperguru

The ~ indicates we have lift off.

I planted extra early to beat the heat, hoping for pods before the temps go crazy. I may have to buy more lights...LOL

Pics sometime tomorrow ;)

Those plants are looking mighty healthy!

Envious of your weather. Yesterday morning it was 5F when I went out to the farm to work.

cone9 said:
Plants looking good, Scott.  

I am noticing a lot of PdN x *** crosses floating around of late.  They do produce some cool looking plants!  Wonder how all the pods from these PdN crosses will pan out.

Thanks Dave!

The PDN variants are worth growing just because they look so good. I'll find out how the pods are in a few months ;)

So Mom built a house just south of Myrtle Beach at Murrell's Inlet. Walk out the front door, go 2 houses to the left, cross the street and the beach is right there. We'll be there this summer, most likely in July. Maybe we can hook up.

jedisushi06 said:
I used to start my seeds in december or november when i had more indoor space at the old house.  Plants look good.  Always nice to have a head start.  

Thanks Mikey!

I really need to start them this early. If I don;t I only get a few pods before the heat kicks in. No more growing all summer waiting for the fall harvest.  It's spring or nada!

TrentL said:
Those plants are looking mighty healthy!

Envious of your weather. Yesterday morning it was 5F when I went out to the farm to work.

Thanks Trent!

I'll trade the hella 90-100 days of summer heat any day for the 6 months of winter. At least I can hit the day at sunup and work 4 hours outside before it gets bad during that time.  I grew up in the north, and don't miss it one bit!

Devv said:

Thanks Dave!

The PDN variants are worth growing just because they look so good. I'll find out how the pods are in a few months ;)

So Mom built a house just south of Myrtle Beach at Murrell's Inlet. Walk out the front door, go 2 houses to the left, cross the street and the beach is right there. We'll be there this summer, most likely in July. Maybe we can hook up.

I am growing a PdN x Bhut that I got from GIP.

I'll let you know if we go to Myrtle this year - plans are not set yet.  

Just catching up on your glog Scott, looks like your off to a great start. All is looking very happy and healthy over there. I see you had your soil tested, I've been thinking of doing the same this year, will be following to see your progress.

Take care good buddy
:cheers:

Man, seeing your plants makes me miss the Portuguese weather so much. That was one hell of a climate to grow peppers in!

Looking good, Devv. Should be a good season for you!

cone9 said:

I am growing a PdN x Bhut that I got from GIP.

I'll let you know if we go to Myrtle this year - plans are not set yet.  

Neither are mine, bhut....

I want to see the pdn cross, should be interesting ;)

beerbreath81 said:
Just catching up on your glog Scott, looks like your off to a great start. All is looking very happy and healthy over there. I see you had your soil tested, I've been thinking of doing the same this year, will be following to see your progress.

Take care good buddy
:cheers:

Good to see you Anthony!

I'm really glad I had it tested. It may take a few seasons but at least now I'm on the right track. I'm looking into a 1,000 gallon tank to store rain water. It should help with the Ph issues.

b3rnd said:
Man, seeing your plants makes me miss the Portuguese weather so much. That was one hell of a climate to grow peppers in!

Looking good, Devv. Should be a good season for you!

Thanks!

Our weather here is actually a bit too hot, which is why the early start. I'm hoping for a huge pod set before the 100's hit!

Devv said:

Thanks!

Our weather here is actually a bit too hot, which is why the early start. I'm hoping for a huge pod set before the 100's hit!

From what I have read recently those 100* days shouldn't be a problem when using shade cloth.

Masher said:
From what I have read recently those 100* days shouldn't be a problem when using shade cloth.

Well, I've experienced those days and hotter in Portugal, and when the air temperature is that high, shade cloth isn't really gonna help a lot. I've tried putting my plants in full shade and they still had problems with the heat.

Masher said:

I've been using 30% sunshade for 5 years or so. I have 1,200 square feet, so most of the 1,600sf is covered. It helps tremendously for fruit sun scald and protecting the plant. I was losing 30-50% of produce that was in direct sun prior to it's use. I have yet to have it help with produce production once the temps get over 95°. Yes we get some, but not enough to grow until a frost unless spring was a bust. Then I get a nice fall harvest. I've been growing here since 1982 and would just love to know what I'm missing if it is indeed possible to get flowers to set after mid June and before mid September. ;)  Believe me I'm open minded and certainly don't think I'm a know it all. Also, you have to keep in mind that when it hits 100+ here, it's not an afternoon peak, it's an 8-10 hour event where temps exceed 95°.

b3rnd said:

Well, I've experienced those days and hotter in Portugal, and when the air temperature is that high, shade cloth isn't really gonna help a lot. I've tried putting my plants in full shade and they still had problems with the heat.

I heard that! They go into survival mode, wishing for some HVAC ;)

Edit:

I almost forgot to post some below par pics. The grow room is really narrow and it's hard to get decent pics of the grow area.

53.jpg

The mater pots came in and I got most in the new pots today.

54.jpg

It's getting crowded in there!

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

Someone needs to sweep the floor...and clean up! LOL
It's in my shop, so the wife doesn't complain ;)

jedisushi06 said:
What tomatoes you growing?

Early Girl, which kills it here. A short season mater. Been growing it for years after many trials to figure out what does best here. Amish Paste, an heirloom. I started some late last season from seeds Eric sent and they did pretty good despite the late start (30 days). So I'm trying them again. Roma's and San Marzano haven't done well for us in the past. Roma's are hell with BER, the San Marzano's just didn't like the heat here.

Box Car Willy, free seeds, so I planted 6 to test. Also 2 of a Grape variety, of which I can't remember.

Genetikx said:
Lol @ sweeping the floor, that's a daily task this time of year.

Plants look absolutely fantastic, you'll be out of room in no time!

Thanks !

I really think there's enough potting soil on the floor to pot 2 plants. I'll finish up-potting tomorrow and then clean up, no sense until done :rolleyes:

Back