• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Roguejim said:
Hey Scott, any tricks to growing melons?  Any special attention required?

We grow watermelons and cantaloupe. I plant 4 or 5 seeds per dished shaped hill as deep as the seed is long. They like plenty of water and nutes. I give the nutes in half doses for better control. They like to sprawl.

cone9 said:
Everything is looking so nice, Scott.  You really do it right!

Thanks Dave!

I try ;)
randyp said:
  Scott I use your pics to remind me what a happy healthy plant looks like as mine get bigger.Hope you start feeling better. ;)

Thanks Randy!

I'm already feeling better thanks ;)  Energy levels are close to normal again.

Great to see plants in soil! At least up here the snow is finally melting. It'll be fun to see those plants take off after all the work you put in.
Glad you're feeling better. 25% lung capacity? Wow. That had to be terrible. I've had pneumonia before and not being able to breathe is terrible.

Glad to see evidence that you're feeling well enough to get the veggie garden started Scott... flowers and pods on the chiles is a huge bonus! It's nice to have your pots on a trailer so you can tow them in or out as needed at this stage. Good on ya!

Pulpiteer said:
Great to see plants in soil! At least up here the snow is finally melting. It'll be fun to see those plants take off after all the work you put in.
Glad you're feeling better. 25% lung capacity? Wow. That had to be terrible. I've had pneumonia before and not being able to breathe is terrible.

Thanks Andy!

Glad to hear the snow is melting, it won't be much longer!

Yeah breathing is important ;)  It crept up very slowly on me since Christmas time; I plan to NEVER have this happen again. This was all due to allergies, I've had them for 50 plus years. Shots work great; but I even react to those now..

stickman said:
Glad to see evidence that you're feeling well enough to get the veggie garden started Scott... flowers and pods on the chiles is a huge bonus! It's nice to have your pots on a trailer so you can tow them in or out as needed at this stage. Good on ya!

Thanks Rick!

Energy level is still climbing ;)  I started walking a few miles every day. I really feel sitting at a desk for the last 15 years has put a hurt on me. I was made to keep moving!

So my Internet has been for crap lately. It's called "Rock Solid"; yeah pumice is what I get :shh:

Made a compost bin, stole the plans from you Rick after seeing what you use. I still need to do some work on it; the goal is to keep the critters form eating all the new entries.

Today was colder than planned (10°), the weather peeps need to do a better job. But tomorrow is "supposed" to be better.

Okies,

A bit of an update today, I know call me slackie boy...

88.jpg

Group shot of the trailer trash ;)  A few have some sunburn.

I left some sunscreen out there....too lazy?

89.jpg

MoA, with classic leaf shape and growth pattern. That's not Aphids, it's saw dust from making a compost bin.

90.jpg

Pimenta De Padron. Looks like a monster in the making...

92.jpg

Brazilian Star, another I'm gonna be tall plant!

93.jpg

Urfa Biber, ready to make little Biber's (please help us) ;)

94.jpg

Naga Brain, F4 model...

95.jpg

Cream Fatalii.

Got some garden work in. Tilled the last of the Rye in, finished the 400sf addition to the shade frame. And the almost finished compost bin. It still needs a top and a door to keep the critters out. Mainly made from scraps my packrat self saves. Had to buy screws ;)

85.jpg

Some Comfrey and Rye LB picked on top...still need to trim back 5 Comfrey plants..

84.jpg

Just a beautiful day today! The weather is finally seasonal. It was 50° at 8:30 when we took a hike, and 74° now at 3PM. And the 10 day forecast looks perfect; I'm so tempted to plant out...but I won't until the soil warms some more ;)

The 400sf of added shade frame. You can also see LB's work, just one pole to weed around. She's the best!

Still more work to do before we declare "we're caught up". And thank goodness for the edit button..

Thanks for reading!

Devv said:
Okies,

A bit of an update today, I know call me slackie boy...

88.jpg

Group shot of the trailer trash ;)  A few have some sunburn.

I left some sunscreen out there....too lazy?

89.jpg

MoA, with classic leaf shape and growth pattern. That's not Aphids, it's saw dust from making a compost bin.

90.jpg

Pimenta De Padron. Looks like a monster in the making...

92.jpg

Brazilian Star, another I'm gonna be tall plant!

93.jpg

Urfa Biber, ready to make little Biber's (please help us) ;)

94.jpg

Naga Brain, F4 model...

95.jpg

Cream Fatalii.

Got some garden work in. Tilled the last of the Rye in, finished the 400sf addition to the shade frame. And the almost finished compost bin. It still needs a top and a door to keep the critters out. Mainly made from scraps my packrat self saves. Had to buy screws ;)

85.jpg

Some Comfrey and Rye LB picked on top...still need to trim back 5 Comfrey plants..

84.jpg

Just a beautiful day today! The weather is finally seasonal. It was 50° at 8:30 when we took a hike, and 74° now at 3PM. And the 10 day forecast looks perfect; I'm so tempted to plant out...but I won't until the soil warms some more ;)

The 400sf of added shade frame. You can also see LB's work, just one pole to weed around. She's the best!

Still more work to do before we declare "we're caught up". And thank goodness for he edit button..

Thanks for reading!
Yep, my Padron hit around 5'.  Yours will exceed that, no doubt.  Everything grows bigger in Devine!

I'm growing the Padron this year, too.  A friend returned from a trip to Spain raving about the pepper appetizers that were often served there.  Roasted in olive oil and served w/ salt, I think.  A bit internet sleuthing turned up they were Padron.  I'll give her a couple of plants and will grow a few myself.

Sawyer said:
I'm growing the Padron this year, too.  A friend returned from a trip to Spain raving about the pepper appetizers that were often served there.  Roasted in olive oil and served w/ salt, I think.  A bit internet sleuthing turned up they were Padron.  I'll give her a couple of plants and will grow a few myself.
That was one of my favorite bar snacks in Spain.  
When we go there next Fall, I'm def going to look
for seeds for them and peppers they call guindillas.

Your garden is about as big as an Olympic size swimming pool I just want to dive in and swim all around.  We have not had any weather below 50F at night here so my plants have stayed outside all week.  They are fully hardened off but like you I won't feel safe for another couple weeks to plant in the garden.  Your plants look uber healthy and the tilled garden plot simply amazing good luck timing just right when to get them in the ground.  Good looking beginning for your season Scott!

Sawyer said:
Glad you're feeling better, Scott.  What you had sounds kind of like what I've heard called "walking pneumonia".  I'm no MD, though, so Doctor knows best.

I missed replying to this the other day. I was close to pneumonia. In fact he treated me for it, medication wise.

Roguejim said:
Yep, my Padron hit around 5'.  Yours will exceed that, no doubt.  Everything grows bigger in Devine!

Thanks Jim!

But I bet yours will have more peppers!

Pulpiteer said:
Beautiful!
That Cream Fatali is a stocky plant isn't it?
Look at that soil prep, and are those pink flowers on a tree there?  Ahhh spring time. 

Thanks Andy!

Yes the Cream Fatalii is stocky. I hope those Peach trees set fruit. We have 14 or 15 wilh different chill rates to try and get a crop, I trimmed them yesterday. And that's a hard thing to do! They say cut back 40% every spring when they set flowers. Now if the birds would let us eat some...

I need to check the soil temp this week, the ten day forecast looks great!

Sawyer said:

I have been experimenting with many varieties the last 2 years. One sweet pepper hooked us good. The Jimmy Nardello.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Padron does this year ;)

PaulG said:
Man, I'm not going to visit your grow log anymore.  
It's too depressing when I think we are still 2 months
from plant out   :confused:

But everything looks just totally awesome, my friend!

LOL Paul!

And thanks!

Just remember, come July, for the most part we're done here.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Your garden is about as big as an Olympic size swimming pool I just want to dive in and swim all around.  We have not had any weather below 50F at night here so my plants have stayed outside all week.  They are fully hardened off but like you I won't feel safe for another couple weeks to plant in the garden.  Your plants look uber healthy and the tilled garden plot simply amazing good luck timing just right when to get them in the ground.  Good looking beginning for your season Scott!

Thanks Cappy!

This year, for the first time ever, I'm trying to space the plants out properly. The jungle I've created so many times gets old later in the season. I'm also trying to grow what we use, instead of all the surplus. Not only is it a ton of work, but the time involved is crazy!

jedisushi06 said:
Looking good Scott, looking forward to see how those seeds i gave work out!  Can't wait to see some pods, also can't wait too see the pods off of Jack's Chocolate

Thanks Mikey!

I have one that made it. I don't know what happened this year, but the germ rates were not as expected. If it didn't come up in 3 weeks it didn't :shh:

Devv said:
Made a compost bin, stole the plans from you Rick after seeing what you use. I still need to do some work on it; the goal is to keep the critters form eating all the new entries.

Today was colder than planned (10°), the weather peeps need to do a better job. But tomorrow is "supposed" to be better.

S'reet Scott... cheap 'n effective. :) As the pallets rot I just slide them off the U-posts and slide new ones on. The old ones go to the community fire pit if there's enough burnable wood, or get broken up for the compost if not.

Spring "breakup" is upon us now. The Maple sap has been running for a couple of weeks, but about 3 weeks later than usual. We went from 3 feet of snow to a foot or a bit more in the last week. Glad to see things are warming up for you now, hopefully it'll work its way up to us in the next few weeks.

Devv said:
 I have been experimenting with many varieties the last 2 years. One sweet pepper hooked us good. The Jimmy Nardello.

Man, I had one of those last year.  I couldn't even restrain myself long enough to save some seeds.  They're like candy.  I got some seeds but only had 1 of 8 germinate from the first planting.  I replanted but haven't seen anything yet.  Oh well, if there's only one plant it will be well pampered.

Another sweet one I'm trying this year that I have high hopes for is the Sulu Adana from Judy.  Not only sweet, it's supposed to be extremely juicy as well.  I'm going to have them strategically placed around the garden for a quick refreshing bite.  I have seven of these growing, so barring a disaster I should be okay with them.

I hope you get a nice peach crop, Scott.  I love tree ripened peaches!

At my first house, where I lived for ten years, I planted a Belle of Georgia white peach.  It's a wonderfully delicious, mild peach.  It bore a great crop every year.  I ate loads of fresh peaches, made pies and peach wine.

After we built our present house in '93 I planted a couple peach trees the next summer.  The white peach died from wind damage after a couple years.  The other was there until I cut it down last summer.  It set a huge crop every year but I NEVER tasted a ripe peach.  The squirrels would strip every peach from the tree before they were as big as a golf ball.  Every year I'd think; "this will be the year!", but no.  Heavy snows last winter split the tree in half and I finally gave up.  

Guess I'll have to be satified with farmer's market peaches!

Man those plants are lookin super healthy! The thickness of those cream fatalii leaves is fantastic. I'm so glad south tx is finally warming and stabilizing.
Completely jealous of the space you have and the size of your plants. I'm gonna remember to follow along so I can sow when you do next year lol

Back