• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Devv's 2015 - 16, Life is good!

Well here we go again!

I just got finished planting seeds for 70 plants. Scaling back a bit this year; last year was a lot of work! That and I have to do more than garden this season ;)

My apologies as I can't remember shit where I got all the seeds from. Some were harvested from pods some I saved, and some were sent to me. I can say this 99% originated from the most generous THP members!

Without further ado, here's the 2015 list:

Red 7 Pot Lava: Mikey
Black Thai        : Mikey
Yellow Jonah  : Mikey
Jack’s Choc Superhot: Mikey
Red Bhutlah   : Mikey
Tepin x Lemmon drop
Pimenta Lisa : Stefan
Brazilian Starfish
Bell
Poblano
Billy Biker
Jalapeno
Jimmy Nardello
Bishops Crown
Sweet Hungarian Paprika
Bahamian Goat
Urfa Biber
Jelly Bean White Hab
Jigsaw
Nagabrain F4
Numex Jalamundo
Cream Fatalii
Isabella Island Hab: Jim
Cherry Bomb: Jim
Moa
Kurt’s
JA Habs
White Bhut
Anaheim
Jigsaw
Burgundy
Ma Wiri wiri: Jim
Pepperdew: Jim
Pimenta De Padron: Jim
Wild tepin: Jim
Jigsaw
Six secrets from Stefan
Orange Primo: Mikey
Choc Bhutlah
Scotch Bonnet x Indian Red
Red Lava: Mikey
White Hab
Naga King: Rick
BOC: Rick

I leaned more towards peppers my wife can eat. After all she helped me quite a bit, I might as well grow some for her ;)

Last season was a challenge regarding what was what. I eventually figured them out, but was not happy with the confusion. And yeah, I'm easily confused.

Here's a pic of the 70 starters:

1.jpg

Trying something different, the Jiffy's are numbered and will be entered into a spreadsheet. As they pop, they will go into the solo cups with permanent marker to label them.

This year I'm starting things in the converted hunting room (man cave?). LB wanted the extra bedroom back ;)  The room is part of the shop; 24x8 and insulated. It's been rather nasty for the last 4 or 5 days, damp and temps below 52°, but it was 68° in there a few minutes ago. Also I'm trying a heating mat to help with germination, which was abysmal IMHO last year.

Anyone who knows how I fly, knows I like to grow in the dirt. I have a few in containers from last season, but they just don't do as well.

I put a ton (literally) of work into the soil since the start of last season.

I feel soil preparation is the key to success:

1214.jpg

1216.jpg

I tilled in over 24 yards of RCW and 10 yards of shredded leaves after pulling the plants in the fall.

2.jpg

I then planted Crimson Clover and Rye as a cover crop, this pic is from 2 weeks ago..

3.jpg

The area I planted the cover crop in is 2,300 to 2,500 square feet. Half is framed for sunshade. A must in the 100% summer sun the garden gets. There's some Comfrey of the left ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

Dec. 6th I tilled in the whole shootin' match. I waited too long. But I do like it when it darkens up. This is what it looks like after 2 2" deep passes. If you wait too long the roots form a sod, this makes for a bad day of tilling. I got this far and decided to call it. Shiner time!

Once I'm sure most is dead and wont come back when I water crop 2 goes in.

6.jpg

On 12-10

The grass on top has dried, and rain is forecast through Sunday (yeah right), so I tilled again. It brought up the grass from below and now the garden looks like last Sunday. I went a couple of notches deeper this time to break up more of the roots. I spread rye seed and watered for 45 minutes. It should come up quickly as the weather is warm for a week or more. 50's-70's.

7.jpg

This is the garden today, the second cover crop is just coming up. And I have to prep an area for onions, which hit the dirt January 15th. The rest gets tilled in at the end of the month.

I fly out of here tomorrow afternoon, and won't be back until a week from now. So I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!

Looks like some nice JA Red Habaneros in your future, Scott!
I love the big, boxy pods that strain is putting out.  

Looks like you have some decent grow season left, buddy.
I suppose the turn from hot to cold happens fast there?

Get out there and enjoy that sun, brother!

stickman said:
Nice late-season haul Scott! Love them poppers! Looks like you're getting (or will soon get) JA Habs... they're a tasty Chinense variety for sure. We're pullin' for ya to get a big late-season harvest! What are your overnight low temperatures like?

Thanks Rick!

It's still hot here, 93° which is really hot for this time of year the last few days. Morning temps are around 70°. We should be 5-9° cooler. But this may mean everything will come together. Lots of flowers trying to bloom.

tctenten said:
Nice haul. The Orange Thai look great.
 Thanks Terry!

I'm hoping the rest do their work and produce ;)

randyp said:
Box  of Yellow heading your way Scott.

Thanks Randy!

I see some fantastic sauce for wings and ribs coming on soon!

Trident chilli said:
Great to see all those pods Scott .... MoA or not

Thanks!

Glad to finally see some productivity from the pepper garden. When I went out to take pics a Rabbit was in there, again. Never mind the Rabbit fence I put up a few years ago. I'm working on making a fence from material from the old pool deck. 6' high on the North side, and both the East and West corners ramping down in height as the materials get shorter. This should help with the crazy winds we get this time of year, at least I hope ;)

PaulG said:
Looks like some nice JA Red Habaneros in your future, Scott!
I love the big, boxy pods that strain is putting out.  

Looks like you have some decent grow season left, buddy.
I suppose the turn from hot to cold happens fast there?

Get out there and enjoy that sun, brother!
 They should do well! And it's about time!

The fence I'm building and the removal of any place for the field rats to make a home close to the house will surely help in the spring. The last 2 wet years have caused an upswing in the critters, and they just love young pepper plants for some reason. I read they love to make a home in Pear Cactus, that's all going too.

As for the weather, most years Christmas is the cut off. I hope they make it!

Looking good Scott. My supers are finally flowering. Not gonna happen. Next year will be better for me with the hoop house. Your MOA's look just like the ones I grew last year. They tasted good, but didn't get any of the traditional MOA shape.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good Scott. My supers are finally flowering. Not gonna happen. Next year will be better for me with the hoop house. Your MOA's look just like the ones I grew last year. They tasted good, but didn't get any of the traditional MOA shape.
 The shape is a plus, just for our head ;)  The taste is what counts, and they are simply great peppers!

So here's a double post (spank me):

281.jpg

282.jpg

283.jpg

Randy a huge load of pods! Thanks Buddy!

These are great tasting pods, and will be sown for next year. Sauces and powder in the near future!

Been really busy the last week building a fence for the garden. For several years I've wanted one to block the fall/winter winds that blow the plants over when a front comes in. We're situated on the North side of a ridge; and with all the open land downhill of us it gets crazy here. Like it will rip a screen door off it's hinges type winds. Yes it has happened.

So now I have a 6' fence on the North side of the garden, well part of it, I scaled the garden size back some (so I don't kill myself). And am working on the East side. Winter winds come from the North-East. Today we're having 22-23 mph steady winds, and my plants are loaded with flowers. Nice to see they're happy and just catching a light breeze. The fun part of this is where I planted the Garlic, with the new fence, means no sun for you. Yeah, I planned ahead alright. This weekend I move the starts that have popped into full sun. It's always something, just ask Roseanne Roseannadanna :rolleyes:

He has some great looking pods. I just processed some of those pods. Froze them for a future sauce coming up.

Glad you got the fence up. Your plants are thanking you. I've been taking advantage of the favorable weather here. My back hurts. LOL

Take care buddy.

Have a great up and coming weekend.

OCD Chilehead said:
He has some great looking pods. I just processed some of those pods. Froze them for a future sauce coming up.

Glad you got the fence up. Your plants are thanking you. I've been taking advantage of the favorable weather here. My back hurts. LOL

Take care buddy.

Have a great up and coming weekend.
Yes he does!

Got some more fence work done this morning and moved the young Garlic to full sun. Enjoying a cooler day today, High of less than 80°, and it was 52° this morning!

Go easy on that back old man ;)  I should be talking..

284.jpg

Today's pull, mostly Annum's.

285.jpg

mostly de-seeded and into the pot with some white vinegar, added a few suppers to warm things up. Puree in the making.

Oh man, my back is still hurtin. I can't sit in one spot to long. Labeling seeds didn't help. Every morning I start all over with the stretching.

That looks like a really good combination of pods. Let us know how it turns out. I'm going to make a batch next week.

Devv said:

Thanks Rick!

It's still hot here, 93° which is really hot for this time of year the last few days. Morning temps are around 70°. We should be 5-9° cooler. But this may mean everything will come together. Lots of flowers trying to bloom.

Here's hoping your season runs long enough for you to get some more good harvests. We're totally done here... there was wet snow yesterday during the drive home from my Mom's place in the Berkshires. Think you might make some Moritas with your red-ripe Jalapenos? That could be the precursor to canning up some Chipotles en Adobo... :drooling:

The winds you describe are just crazy! Sounds like a windbreak fence is a really good idea... maybe it'll help keep the plants from drying out so much during the summer too. Cheers!

OCD Chilehead said:
Oh man, my back is still hurtin. I can't sit in one spot to long. Labeling seeds didn't help. Every morning I start all over with the stretching.

That looks like a really good combination of pods. Let us know how it turns out. I'm going to make a batch next week.
I've made a few similar batches before, using  sweets and mid to hot peppers in a puree. Cooking them in just enough white vinegar to soften, blending and then adding Agave Nector, salt (to taste) and Pineapple juice to thin it out. I use the Pineapple juice versus the vinegar to keep the ph correct and not let the vinegar overpower. It's a 3 day process, bottling on day 3, to make sure the flavors are correct. Cook, tweak, store overnight, taste cook tweak..you get the process ;)

So far it's been a winner!

Sorry about the back. I've gotten to know mine over the years (cuz I'm old?), 2 major injuries back in the 80's has kept me on an exercise program that works for me. Warm up, and first twinge, and it's sloooowww down. I try to limit digging/shoveling to less than 3 hours a day :shh:

stickman said:

Here's hoping your season runs long enough for you to get some more good harvests. We're totally done here... there was wet snow yesterday during the drive home from my Mom's place in the Berkshires. Think you might make some Moritas with your red-ripe Jalapenos? That could be the precursor to canning up some Chipotles en Adobo... :drooling:

The winds you describe are just crazy! Sounds like a windbreak fence is a really good idea... maybe it'll help keep the plants from drying out so much during the summer too. Cheers!

Dang snow already!

Here's the weeks forecast:
10-24-16.jpg

Lots of flowers on the plants, and they should set.Will I have the time? It's kinda like spring in reverse. Spring gets hot too fast, fall, may do well or not. My bet is pods! :party:

I had to read on Moritas, it's next on the list! I've had it before, not knowing how they made it. Thanks!

Yeah, the winds here get crazy. The little front we had the other day was nothing. It dropped the temps 10-15° that day. We often get fronts that drop the temps 40° in a few hours with absolutely brutal winds. So it can be 85° and then 45° in 2-3 hours. It's because we're 200' (above D-town) up on a ridge and the winds come off an another ridge a couple of miles North of us. So they really crank up!

That's good to know.

On another note. I'm late getting my garlic in the ground. So I took extreme measures. LOL

Not really but, I though I would share this. I had some extra ice trays, I put a little water in each of he spaces and added the garlic. Bottoms down. 3 days in the window sill and we have roots.
IMG_0125.JPG

OCD Chilehead said:
That's good to know.

On another note. I'm late getting my garlic in the ground. So I took extreme measures. LOL

Not really but, I though I would share this. I had some extra ice trays, I put a little water in each of he spaces and added the garlic. Bottoms down. 3 days in the window sill and we have roots.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0125.JPG

Now that's using your head! I don't know if you've grown Garlic before, but I like to plant them where the top is about 1/2" below soil level. I think I mentioned I'm moving mine as they come up, because where I planted them leaves them in the shade as the fence goes up. 2 out 30 or so have shown shock. 6 more came up and get moved in the morning ;)
PaulG said:
Your puree looks great.  When you say store overnight, what do you mean?

I just let it cool and put it in the fridge overnight. The PH is correct and the next day I taste and adjust. You know how things taste different after setting in the fridge..
randyp said:
Looks good Scott.I like the sauce making,Simple is almost always better.

Thanks Randy ;)

Simple is good!

This week has been a crazy one for sure. It's been a little cooler and I've been working outside after work for a change, and loving it. I need to take some pics of the plants, they're looking good! Flowers and pods are setting too :P  So it seems it's Tomato horn worm season here, so far I've stomped 7 or 8. They can do so much damage overnight. They seem to just appear.

I've never grown garlic before. I wanted to ever since you shared your harvest this last Summer. I'll try a 1/2" under the soil in full sun. I the garlic back in August from a old farmer. I think they were called New York White. It tastes good. I eat garlic raw. Yeah, I know it's disgusting.

I could probably grow scapes in the window sill all year long. Or is that hardneck only? I think this is a soft neck. I'll have to go back and get a refresher in garlic 101.

I can't believe how fast these things grow. Day 5 in water.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 68
Back