• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Dew and Habaneros

Anyone try putting a frozen habanero in a Mountain Dew (or other soft drink) instead of (or in addition to) ice? The fumes released from the carbonation are *wicked*, and stirring the drink up really releases them. It also seems like the capsaisinoids tend to stay mostly toward the top of the glass, so like the entire pepper itself, it must be less dense than (carbonated) water.

The heat takes a while to stick--it's almost like the water just rinses it right down, and it doesn't start burning until several sips (and minutes) later. The fruity habanero flavor, while in the background compared to the citrus flavor, seems to compliment the flavor nicely. The heat is overall much less than I would have expected, except maybe at the end of the glass.

If anyone tries this, I'd recommend a straw to keep your nose away from the glass (and therefore, the fumes). It's a minor irritation (doesn't last long) but it's pretty strong, I got some burning all the way up my nose a couple times but only very briefly...

Also, I tried with Pepsi with less impressive results... due to the darker color of the pop, the habaneros look brown and rotten as they float around on the top. The habanero flavor, although it seems stronger in Pepsi due to its "lighter" taste, doesn't really fit. But it doesn't surprise me--I only tried Pepsi because I didn't think there was any Dew left, I'm not normally a Pepsi drinker anyway. No matter which drink, the carbonation dies relatively quickly with the pepper added (but no big loss really). BTW, the Dew was Throwback (with actual sugar) and the Pepsi was regular (with HFCS).

I would consider trying a habanero in beer, but I usually go for the quality imports and craft brews (not the cheap stuff), so unless I ever find a chile beer somewhere around here that's probably not going to happen...

That sounds pretty tasty. You should try it with the other citrus sodas (Mello Yello, Squirt, Lemon Drop, Fresca) and see if they taste any better. A little alcohol couldn't hurt either. Mountain Dew, Hab-infused vodka, ice, orange bitters maybe?

i have one can of MD at home but no habaneros! so looks like douglah it is! :mouthonfire: will report back later tongiht! ok so i failed, no MD at home, i made a virgin margarita(allergic to Alcohol) and added a whole douglah, and let me tell you it is tasty and HOT!

i have one can of MD at home but no habaneros! so looks like douglah it is! :mouthonfire: will report back later tongiht! ok so i failed, no MD at home, i made a virgin margarita(allergic to Alcohol) and added a whole douglah, and let me tell you it is tasty and HOT!
Gonna have to try this one with the booze when I get some ripe Douglah's or maybe a Butch T. Did you blend it in or garnish with it?

Gonna have to try this one with the booze when I get some ripe Douglah's or maybe a Butch T. Did you blend it in or garnish with it?
i blended it in, and i also made one with a fatalii! both were AMAZING! i ate a nagabon and drank the Fatalii magarita to "cool" it down!

Mountain Dew here in Canada+ now tastes like crap since by law they had to remove the caffeine from all non-cola sodas. Not even hot peppers can make it taste good again
Same great taste my butt!

Apparently only colas and energy drinks are now allowed to contain caffeine in Canada.
"In most countries outside the US, Mountain Dew contains no caffeine. Within the US, PepsiCo do make a caffeine-free version."

But that may change
"Health Canada announced Friday it is authorizing the use of caffeine as a food additive in all carbonated soft drinks, not just cola-type beverages. Beverage companies will be allowed to add synthetic caffeine to non-cola soft drinks in concentrations no higher than 150 parts per million. The maximum amount of caffeine allowed in colas is 200 parts per million.

Similar levels of caffeine are currently allowed in non-cola soft drinks outside Canada, including the United States and Europe."

Those are some interesting suggestions, especially about the mixed drinks. What I might try soon is a habanero in Mountain Dew LiveWire, Voltage and White Out. I am kind of thinking the White Out will work the best, but I'll have to wait and see. Kicking it up a bit with a shot of whiskey or vodka sounds like an even more interesting experiment.

As for Canada's no-caffeine-in-non-cola-pops, damn, that must suck. Mountain Dew without that throat-relaxing bitterness from the caffeine just wouldn't be right. It doesn't affect me, but good luck on your government turning this bizarre ban around.

That aint right potawie it's not mountain dew without caffeine! I bet if you toss a superhot in there it'll still wake ya up though.

I did drop a half a hab into an O'fallons Pumpkin ???(it was a limited release brew that Chili's had on tap in October, don't recall if it was a lager, or ale or what)while waiting on Hot Stuff to give me a pepper garden tour, and it was really good. Yep , a pumpkin microbrew, suprise it was really good-so I went out to the truck and grabbed a trusty fresh hab, cut it in half and in it went.I tried to find some more on the long drive back down south to no avail.A few shots of GOOD hot sauce in beer is great on a really scalding day.Or a cold day, or well...hehe...you get the idea!Yeah, pretty weird....but pretty good too! :dance:
cheers!
DJ

Man, I thought I was the only person who put habaneros in my drinks!

One combination that I found that was delicious: 2 fresh Cayenne peppers in a blended margarita. I have a Magic Bullet blender that makes about 12 oz (or maybe 16?) frozen margaritas. Two fresh Cayennes blended in is delicious. Not all that hot, but the flavor reminds me a bit of those red-hot candies.

Man, I thought I was the only person who put habaneros in my drinks!

One combination that I found that was delicious: 2 fresh Cayenne peppers in a blended margarita. I have a Magic Bullet blender that makes about 12 oz (or maybe 16?) frozen margaritas. Two fresh Cayennes blended in is delicious. Not all that hot, but the flavor reminds me a bit of those red-hot candies.
i use fatalii, douglah, or Choc Scorpion in my margaritas! :mouthonfire:

i use fatalii, douglah, or Choc Scorpion in my margaritas! :mouthonfire:

Nice. :) I'm growing some fatalii and douglahs next year, so I'll have to try that. What sounds like it would be pretty good also is some Aji Limon. I'll be growing (or trying at least) some of those next year, too. I hear they're pretty tasty.

But seriously about the Cayennes. It's pretty good. It's not so much about the heat as the flavor.

Back