• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Diablo's Green Thumb

Update 4/09/10

:(

Looks like all but one, mayyyyyybe two, of the Dorset Naga's have past on. The one looks to be putting out another set of real leaves, the second one is holding on but no real improvement. I have one Orange Habanero and one Thai L. Hot that look like they're gonna pull through as well. So there'll be some variety. I have the over wintered Fresno's and Tequila Sunrise as well. Interesting that those guys are putting out buds from the start. Gonna hve to pinch those soon.

Into some seedling trays went,
Barrakapore 7 Pot
Orange Manzano
Yellow Scorpion
Pequin
Tequila Sunrise
Thai L. Hot

I'm using a compost/dirt mix outside under the same canopy. After moving the seedlings outside I moved the germ tray and just left it outside.

Happy to report that one Aji Lucento has joined in the game of hooks. Also Grand Rapids and Bibb lettuce :)

Forgot to mention, the yellow scorp that sprouted outside, turned out to my experiment scorp. I placed two in the peat pellet. Kill one or let them both grow up?

wooooooohoooooooooo, two more experimental barrakpore hooks (experimental cause it was 2 seeds one peat pellet)! I didn't give up on my seedling tray. One of the two nagas did die after all. :( damn

Update 5/20/10

We anticipate many Fresno Chili soldja

4625093310_a842856229.jpg

Here is the remaining troops. In the back is the Orange Habanero. Left is the Barrakpore. Right is the Yellow Scorp CARDI.

4625093476_d90250a306.jpg

Are they big enough to separate or should I just let them all be?

IMO at this point, I'd bail on tryin' to seperate em. Pot up to a bigger size, don't over fert or water and clip the weaker plant later on after transplantation. I'd go to a hydro store and get some good soil, like Ocean Forest or Happy Frog. (I use both) If you use that soil, don't sweat (don't use) any other ferts right now. My Barrackpore is lovin' it.

Thanks man. I just bought a shitload, truckload, of humus to mix in with the sandy soil I have, and I have a bag and half of composted manure. Only thing I think the soil "might" need more is maybe peat &/or perlite. I have a sandy silt here and it's fairly rich. I just need to break it up a bit with the humus I think. You can see the fresno chili's are exploding on a mix with the composted manure I mixed in with their existing soils from last year, also top dressing with about an inch of the composted manure. Last year I used the ocean forest organic mix. That is great stuff. Right now my seedlings are not enjoying their soil. Too much silt in it I think and they're kinda choking off, you can see they're a bit yellow. This eve I think I'll put them in the ground and go. What I've been doing is removing soil from a hole to fill up a 5 gal bucket, then mixing it 50/50 with humus and then planting the plants in that hole. The tomatoes are doing well, they're only 12-18" maybe and I have had to pick off buds like twice in about a week. For these babies I think I'll do the 5gal thing mixing 1-1-1 of existing soil/humus/manurepost. How's that sound? I think I am already gonna cut that little guy from the barrackpore.

I'm sorry I let you down man, my nagas didn't make it. I know it was a stupid mistake, guess I'm just rough on my stuff. (that's why I own a truck) Good news is for some reason I just kept watering the second batch of seeds. I know have one Thai Hot, one Scorp, one 2 in one cell Tequila, one manzano and one pequin. I'll take pic's later. If I have one more barrakpore pop up that'd be hella cool. It's the only one left that hasn't given a sprout on this second planting. We've had an incredibly cool spring, better be a long summer or Imma gonna be pissed.

The good thing is that the Fresno chili's are simply exploding with buds. I was trying to nip'm so the plants can have more foliage but I just couldn't hold back the masses of buds. +1 for well developed roots from overwintering.

Don't trip on a let down, stuff happens. Shoot me a pm if you wanna try some more Naga seeds. The Fresno is lookin damn good. Had some difficulty germinating those Barrackpores here.

Update 5-29-10

Looks like the Scorpion CARDI that I retried isn't going to make it. Maybe they don't like the growing medium. The Thai Hot looks like it's liking the transplant, the Hababerno, Manzano and Scorpion took a good while before they wanted to start taking off. They finally are and they are all looking like they are going to be shrubs of a plant. Short and bushy.

Big UPS to Boutros, he sent me some Seeds and they went in the growing medium today. (1-1-1 sandy silt, humus and composted manure- I think it's not the best be we'll see how it goes, will retry if I have to) In went;

Naga Dorset
Peach Habanero
7 Pod Jonah

So he was so kind as to send pod halves. I have never naga'd before. Thanks for passing the pain brotha. I nipped off a tiny bite, maybe the size of about a quarter pinky nail, maybe even a little smaller. It was pretty small so I held it in the front of my mouth chewing up with the front teeth, turning it over with the tongue and chew chew chew. A good 30 seconds or so to make a little pulp. I moved back and consumed it. It was fruity, not as fruity as a habanero, and had a hint of a smokyness similar to pequin. Delicious. I felt nothing, nothing, nothing, HOLY SHIT!! It took about a total of about 1-2 minutes before some good solid pain set in. HOLY SHIT! That little bastard lit me up. I got a burny itch in my throat, my mouth pain intensified over at least 5 minutes getting hotter and hotter. Intense bright pain, at about the 10 minute mark my mouth fully engulfed in pain, teary eyes and salivation running strong. Now, about a half hour later I still have a lingering itchy reminder pain in the front part of my mouth. This is some good stuff. Initially I was feeling the heat of a jalapeno maybe, and I thought, oh, a nice burn, this could be fun and enjoyable. Well now my assessment is that it was an incredible joy ride of flavors and pains and even hit a tingley euphoria in head that made my scalp crawl a little bit as I got light headed. AWESOME! I even got a bit of a tummy burn for a small a piece that was. I think I have the starts of ulcers, so says the burning sensation when I have a sip of a good scotch plus the last time I had a good bite of a habanero my tummy wrenched in the worste pain I ever felt, so I don't know that I'll be able to tackle a good bit off the Naga. What I'm able to manage though, I'm going to enjoy greatly. Thanks Boutros.

Wicked stuff them Naga's eh Diablo? Cool on you for sampling.

I hope your stomach issues are minor and you get the opportunity to take on bigger and bigger pieces parts. Best of luck to you with the grow thing.

Thanks Patrick, SS, Smokie Joe.

Yeah, I'm not sure Patrick. I'm ok when I have really hot food, but when it's by itself my tummy wrenches badly. We'll see, but even that little nibble gave me a warm spot. It was nothing really, but I knew it was there.

Right on Diablo, glad you can use em! Hope they do well for ya. That peach hab is a real fast germinating, really seem to grow quick too.

The Hab I have seems to be slow as hell man. The scorpions seem to be finally hitting grow stretch where the Hab is not stretching and instead bushing out adding internodal growth on the lower super tiny branches. It's really looking weird for a small as it is.

Updated Pics 5-31-10

Thought this was going to be a pequin, not sure anymore. There was a windy day a while back that knocked over all my labels, only thing I can be sure of is the barrackpore and the scorpion.

4657107222_79d0694d00.jpg

This is either a scorp or a barrackpore from the looks of the leaf that wants to pop up. Again they have those sickly yellow looks. Not overwatering it, but I think they don't like the composted manure. So when I water I water pretty good to rinse out whatever is too potent in there. Also gave them all a low dose of epsom water.

4657106946_28dd3ae58b.jpg

The weird Hab

4656484965_388bd60ca5.jpg

Barrackpore, I finally clipped the little guy from having 2 sprouted.

4656484765_52d6944de7.jpg

The dualling scorpions, I think I should clip the little guy, but I'm having a hard time dealing with that reality.

4657106200_6bc6e0cddd.jpg

I would gander a guess that those two Scorps are savable, just carefully pull them apart and plant into separate pots. Thats what I would do anyways..........:D

Back