• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Diatomaceous Earth Questions

Hey,

Having a bit of a slug, snail, and earwig issue. I would like to find a big bag of DE to mote around my pepper stems and cut the little bastards off at the pass.

A few questions: Needs to be the powder form, yes?

And does it have to be 100% pure or might this work: http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Hardware/Farm-Supplies/Animal/Livestock/Miscellaneous/20kg-Powered-Feed-Supplement/_/N-ntjllZ2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I5225930?Ntt=diatomaceous+earth ?

Any leads on where to find a large bag for cheap?

Thanks. This is my first battle of the season...

shame, I have 8 pallets at work I'm giving away....

Ive not used it for plants but you might find it cheaper at a pool supply store. Id be careful as it is not good at all to inhale and if its dry, it WILL be in the air.

good luck

PrimeTime said:
shame, I have 8 pallets at work I'm giving away....

Ive not used it for plants but you might find it cheaper at a pool supply store. Id be careful as it is not good at all to inhale and if its dry, it WILL be in the air.

good luck

Good to know, I'll wear a dust mask. Thanks for the pool supply lead as well.

It comes in different particle size grades as well. Id guess, only a guess, you'd want a coarser one. But id research that if anybody has even taken it that far.

You need to make sure you are getting food grade diatomaceous earth (which is what you'll mostly find, anyway.) Yes, use dry. It will deter slugs, snails, etc., but it will kill any insect with an exoskeleton that comes into contact with it. If it rains or you wet it when watering, apply more.

moosery said:
do NOT use the pool stuff. It's been heat treated and the crystals have changed form - they become harmful to your lungs in a big way. You risk silicosis. Google it. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Safety_considerations

I did not know this. Nice heads up. Im only familiar with food grade. You don't want to breath any of it really. It cuts the lungs and leaves areas for the cancer cells to grow.

moosery said:
do NOT use the pool stuff. It's been heat treated and the crystals have changed form - they become harmful to your lungs in a big way. You risk silicosis. Google it. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Safety_considerations

PrimeTime said:

I did not know this. Nice heads up. Im only familiar with food grade. You don't want to breath any of it really. It cuts the lungs and leaves areas for the cancer cells to grow.

Thank you both for the heads up. I'll make sure to find food grade and wear a good mask that seals well when applying the dust. Going to make some beer traps too. And may look in to copper wire? Gonna take the flashlight out on a hunt tonight and try and take care of a bunch of them. Just rained so I figure they'll be out in droves.

I dont think you need a mask for the food grade stuff, apparently it makes you cough if you stir it up but only in the same way that baking flour does. But, a mask can't hurt anyways. Better safe than sorry.

OKGrowin said:
i heard napa floor dry is good stuff.

I did too, but looking at the photos the particulate looks quite large and from what I gleaned it's the powder DE that does the killing? Maybe I'm wrong? I the napa would work, hell, I'd just go ahead and mulch with it lol..

Edit: went on two hunts last night. Definitely earwigs and slugs. Earwigs looked to be favouring the new growth... I enjoyed squishing them... Took out about 60 over 70 pots or so in one particular area. Thinking I might make some traps as well...

Back