• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Different size pods from same plant

So i have this bhut hybrid. It was supposed to be a chocolate bhut, but it turned out to be a red bhut hybrid. I went out tonight to harvest and noticed a much larger than normal size bhut (3 inches, first time from this plant) compared to the others. After collecting them all, i noticed all the different sizes (1 inch, 2 inch). What do you guys think contribute to it? Would seeds from the biggie grow a plant that also has biggie pods?

Top down view
P1020141.jpg

Side view
P1020148.jpg

Close up of biggie
P1020143.jpg

Normal sized close ups
P1020145.jpg

The smaller peppers were probably the pods that were produced later in the season. On my plants this year the younger pods didn't get nearly as large as the earlier pods. I don't know if it is because of less heat and shorter days late in the season, or if the plant only has limited energy and can't produce full size pods late in the season but I observed the same thing. I imagine that the smaller seeds wouldn't grow smaller pods next year and vice versa, since the genetics are probably produced when pollination occurs. That's just a guess though, so hopefully someone with better knowledge can chime in. The smaller pods may produce lower germination rates though as the seeds may not have had a chance to grow large enough to be viable.

The smaller peppers were probably the pods that were produced later in the season. On my plants this year the younger pods didn't get nearly as large as the earlier pods. I don't know if it is because of less heat and shorter days late in the season, or if the plant only has limited energy and can't produce full size pods late in the season but I observed the same thing. I imagine that the smaller seeds wouldn't grow smaller pods next year and vice versa, since the genetics are probably produced when pollination occurs. That's just a guess though, so hopefully someone with better knowledge can chime in. The smaller pods may produce lower germination rates though as the seeds may not have had a chance to grow large enough to be viable.

Pretty much. Longer photo period = bigger pods. More direct angle of sunlight = bigger pods. Warmer temps = bigger pods. Ideal nutrient uptake = bigger pods. So on and so forth... In my experience, late season pods produce quality seeds just as well as early season ones. Now if you have a plant that is spitting out an array of general pod shapes then I would question purity on some level, but size I don't worry about. Its just the way the season goes most of the time.

PepperJam

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the seeds from to grow this bhut hybrid that was supposed to be a chocolate bhut? I had 4 plants this year that were supposesd to be chocolate bhuts and 1 was chocolate, 2 were red, and 1 was yellow.

Pretty much. Longer photo period = bigger pods. More direct angle of sunlight = bigger pods. Warmer temps = bigger pods. Ideal nutrient uptake = bigger pods. So on and so forth... In my experience, late season pods produce quality seeds just as well as early season ones. Now if you have a plant that is spitting out an array of general pod shapes then I would question purity on some level, but size I don't worry about. Its just the way the season goes most of the time.

Same story over here!! The summer has been good and the plants grew really big. I had a couple that looked like trees and didn't produce any flowers at all. The surrounding plants would be just as huge and full of pods. I'm still trying to figure that one out and over produced in the end anyway.

I often find that pods growing right at a main V or fork(especially the first or second fork) will be bigger and sometimes gnarlier looking. Not sure if thats the case here.

Back