• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Different strains of Chocolate Hab

What are the differences between these strains from those that have grown more than one? Does any particular strain have a better taste? The JHC seems to be larger than the others perhaps, from what I've seen.

jamaican hot chocolate is hard to beat. massive yeild , if you go with at least a 5 gallon container. great heat , awsome flavour. from experience i can vouche for the choc habs from redwood city seeds. only $2.50 a packet and the quality is great. craig and sue dreamann are very nice and very helpfull people. take care.

I'll warn you that there are many types that are very similar or the same including: chocolate hab, brown hab, Caribbean black, congo black/choc. congo, chocolate Scotch bonnet. These all appear to be congo or Caribbean types and not habs.

Edit: I do not recommend ecoseeds/redwoodcity. I believe they are just seed re-seller and marketers. They probably don't grow all their own seeds, and they still say the tepin is the hottest pepper with their Dremman's scale. Then there's years of them scaringpeople away from using peat. Now give me a break!

I'll warn you that there are many types that are very similar or the same including: chocolate hab, brown hab, Caribbean black, congo black/choc. congo, chocolate Scotch bonnet. These all appear to be congo or Caribbean types and not habs.

Edit: I do not recommend ecoseeds/redwoodcity. I believe they are just seed re-seller and marketers. They probably don't grow all their own seeds, and they still say the tepin is the hottest pepper with their Dremman's scale. Then there's years of them scaringpeople away from using peat. Now give me a break!
thats right the chili farm is here in hunstville alabama 45mits drive south i will visit the farm and get some pics next year but fro what i have seen is that its huge farm with all non isolated plants ...

sorry for the reccomendation! i'm just going by the seeds i got from them and the results i got from those seeds. i don't agree with there heat scale at all and anyway ,this thread has nothing at all to do with there heatscale or there farm. i was simply stating that the chocolate hab seeds i got from them produce massive plants with a huge yield of fantastic peppers. also i still germinate in the peat disks.

I actually did get the Chocolate Hab seeds as well as many others from Redwood earlier this year and as far as their seeds go they seem to be totally legit. Plus they are very cheap for how many you get which is a lot more than everywhere else. The Chocolate Habs are great and produced my best plant of all and everything else has grown true. But yes their heat scale is a joke! However I wouldn't let a crazy man's heat scale stop me from buying their seeds.

that's all i was saying. i've grown there choc habs and white bullets on several occaisions and they always grew true. as far as the peat scare , there are a lot of seed sellers that try to discourage growing in peat but i never listened because i never had problems with it.

that's all i was saying. i've grown there choc habs and white bullets on several occaisions and they always grew true. as far as the peat scare , there are a lot of seed sellers that try to discourage growing in peat but i never listened because i never had problems with it.

There seeds may be OK most of the time, but most of the info on their site is wrongor outdated and pretty ridiculous in my opinion, and I try not to support anyone so full of B.S.

I thought (going by The Hippy Seed Company's web site, if I remember right) that Congo Black was just another name for the Chocolate Habanero. Either way, I'm growing two brown ones--the Chocolate Habanero and the Jamaican Hot Chocolate. The Chocolate Hab seems to take longer to fully change color than the Hot Chocolate. I also prefer the taste of the Chocolate Habanero--it has a basic chinense flavor, but with lots of extra sweetness. The Hot Chocolate has a stronger, more harsh flavor. Both are damn hot, from what I could tell. And both of my plants I received as live, pre-grown plants from CCN.

I like 'em both, but if I only grow one brown hab next year, it'll be the Chocolate Habanero. I just liked its sweeter, more mellow flavor. Yummy. It really doesn't matter though, because when cooked in food, you can barely tell the difference... at least, I couldn't.

There aren't really any chocolate habaneros, they are likely congo peppers
" many types that are very similar or the same including: chocolate hab, brown hab, Caribbean black, congo black/choc. congo, chocolate Scotch bonnet."

Habaneros are a specific orange C. chinenses with its own shape and flavor, and are from the Yucitan penninsula in Mexico. Congos are a specific Caribbean C. chinenses which are usually rounder and larger than habaneros with their own unique flavor

Habaneros are a specific orange C. chinenses with its own shape and flavor, and are from the Yucitan penninsula in Mexico. Congos are a specific Caribbean C. chinenses which are usually rounder and larger than habaneros with their own unique flavor

So are you saying that the Orange Hab is the only true Habanero?

True Mexican landrace habaneros are orange, others are hab-nots in my opinion. Its just easier to say habanero than to say C. chinense but this has led to much confusion. The same thing is happening with bhuts, bonnets, scorpions,and 7pods :(

That's funny I spoke with him about three years ago and got the peat moss schpeel.... what a joke. 95% of all seed starting mix is loaded with peat moss and works great for chile germination.

+10 on that! Bollocks!

Back