food Dijon Type Mustard

I saw that someone else made a Dijon type mustard and couldn't resist trying it myself:

Red Surinam 8 peppers
Orange Habanero peppers (needed just a bit more heat)
Sauvignon Blanc
Red wine vinegar (knowingly didn't use white wine vinegar)
Cider vinegar (a splash to thin things up (I ran out of the red wine vinegar)
Water
Garlic
Onion
Salt
Honey
Mustard powder (ground down mustard seeds that wayright sent in a spice grinder)
Brown mustard seeds (from wayright)
Yellow mustard seeds (from wayright)

Processed all ingredients in food processor (couldn't get the mustard seeds ground all of the way down and had already soaked overnight in wine so the spice grinder wasn't an option):

DSC_1066.JPG

Cooked down a fair amount (somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes):

DSC_1069.JPG

7 jars:

DSC_1073.JPG

wayright said:
Looks Freaking awesome Buddy!
How is the taste on that batch with the wine?

:cool:
Kevin
Great tasting Dijon type mustard . . . you can be your own judge.  I may actually prefer it to the other ones that I made as it's not as the pepper influence is not nearly as intense.

Looks like a nice whole grain mustard!

You want to try a real Dijon, use verjuice (not wine) from Burgundy grapes, no vinegar (okay you may need a splash for pH), and make it smooth. I know you said Dijon-type and weren't trying real Dijon, but it's probably my fave mustard. Yours looks real good for a Dijon riff!

I remember that mustard competition Paulky posted, and Sheesh-o-rama! that sammie is making me hungry again!

edit- for prematurely hitting the POST button~  :lol:

Buddy- that mustard sounds good.  How does the texture compare to traditional stoneground mustard? 

OK - so based on posts in this thread I went and bought me 5lbs of mustard seed.  Two tentative batches working now - one w tequila and dried peppers (stone ground hot) and the other with white wine and dried tarragon (dijon style).  I've got a cup of mustard seeds soaking in 2 cups of liquid currently - going to let them sit for a couple days and soak up the booze/vinegar-y goodness.  Any tips on other additions and/or process method?  I'll post back with pics.  Thanks for the inspiration! 

SmokenFire said:
OK - so based on posts in this thread I went and bought me 5lbs of mustard seed.  Two tentative batches working now - one w tequila and dried peppers (stone ground hot) and the other with white wine and dried tarragon (dijon style).  I've got a cup of mustard seeds soaking in 2 cups of liquid currently - going to let them sit for a couple days and soak up the booze/vinegar-y goodness.  Any tips on other additions and/or process method?  I'll post back with pics.  Thanks for the inspiration! 

Smokenfire that's a good decision to let the seeds absorb the liquid for a few days...I generally let the seeds explode for 4 days. I use the food processor, although mines pretty quiet the processing can take up to 10 minutes in small batches to get it rolling smooth. To get the mustard to the silk stage you would need to use a food mill with the fine screen.
I don't mine the coarse texture of a mustard, but I have used the mill for the Dijon type. What's left in the food mill gets added to the next batch.

btw...I'll probably head up to Jean's Int. on Lincoln to pick up some German Sausage for the dog thread.....and  make some homemade mustard.

Also, on the North side of Devon  Ave there's numerous Indian grocers where you can pick up Black Mustard seeds.....they're the hottest...and both types are pretty small. 

Buddy sorry for hijacking your thread............... ..it's an Illinois thing........... :P

PIC 1 said:

Smokenfire that's a good decision to let the seeds absorb the liquid for a few days...I generally let the seeds explode for 4 days. I use the food processor, although mines pretty quiet the processing can take up to 10 minutes in small batches to get it rolling smooth. To get the mustard to the silk stage you would need to use a food mill with the fine screen.
I don't mine the coarse texture of a mustard, but I have used the mill for the Dijon type. What's left in the food mill gets added to the next batch.

btw...I'll probably head up to Jean's Int. on Lincoln to pick up some German Sausage for the dog thread.....and  make some homemade mustard.

Also, on the North side of Devon  Ave there's numerous Indian grocers where you can pick up Black Mustard seeds.....they're the hottest...and both types are pretty small. 

Buddy sorry for hijacking your thread............... ..it's an Illinois thing........... :P

Thanks for the tips PIC 1!  Khan BBQ is my favorite Indian restaurant on Devon at Western - seems like you can buy just about any and everything in just a few short blocks there..  

Don't just use brown use white as well!!! That's what I do.

What I haven't done though is roast the mustard seed first. That's the plan for next time.

Roast the mustard. Soak the mustard in white wine and some sort of vinegar. Process the mustard. Add my spicy rock salt.

Back