Dimmable HID

Are the dimmable HID systems all they are made up to be or just bells and whistles that are not worth any further consideration? I got the green light from the bank (My wife) to purchase an HID system for the grow room. and I have been looking into a 1000w dimmable HID.

And what of the various bulbs that are offered to upgrade the lights? Is a HPS bulb, a HPS bulb and never anything more or is there more to it than meets the eye and or how much.

All bulbs are not created equal!

If you have the money. Eye Hortilux enhanced 1000w HPS is the best on the market. The PAR measurements are incredible with that bulb. It is about 10% more stable in the usable 400-700nm wavelengths than other competitor bulbs.

The dimmable feature is nice if your concerned with saving money through your veg period. Running a 1000w light on a 18/6 will run you about $80.00 a month.

keep in mind, you will want to have a sealed hood so you can hook up a blower to that sucker. I know some people that do not run there furnace for heat in the winter months!

We've never heard of dimmable HID lights but if you've seen them, apparently they exist.  

If you do get a 1000w dimmable light or system, you will need a 2000w dimmer.  Most household dimmers are 600w (but since you can only "use" 80% of the nameplate rating, a 600W dimmer can only dim 400 watts)  A 1000w dimmer is only rated for 800w, which is why you would need to get a 2000 watt dimmer.  

I just recently purchased a 1000w HID kit that included a dimmable ballast.

It does 50%, 75% and 100%

It works rather well I admit. Instead of wearing shades when I go into my tent I can just set it to 50% and not worry about being blinded!

Also nice if you are doing a smaller crop for a while you don't need to waste all that power.

We've never heard of dimmable HID lights but if you've seen them, apparently they exist.  

If you do get a 1000w dimmable light or system, you will need a 2000w dimmer.  Most household dimmers are 600w (but since you can only "use" 80% of the nameplate rating, a 600W dimmer can only dim 400 watts)  A 1000w dimmer is only rated for 800w, which is why you would need to get a 2000 watt dimmer.  

I can't comment on your household dimmers. However the use of 1000w digital dimmable ballasts in horticulture is common. Here is a decent ballast:

http://growershouse.com/phantom-1000w-digital-ballast-120-240v-dimmable

salsalady said:

The dimmer is built into the ballast. I have a 600 watt dimmable setup and love it turn it down to 50% for seedlings and when there old enough crank that baby back up.

I'm jumping into this with only the guidence I am getting from here. as a first year super hot grower/ first year indoor grower, I am kinda relying on everyone else experience and trials and errors. My thoughts on a dimmable system was I wouldnt be neccesarily chained to 1000w unit and could adapt as needed to the wattage requirements.

the system I am refering to is below. I would be greatfull for anyones opinion or evaluation. thx

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-Digital-Greenhouse-Dimmable-1000w-Grow-Light

Is the above unit good to go or is there an upgrade/s I should consider?

theliveculture said:
All bulbs are not created equal!

If you have the money. Eye Hortilux enhanced 1000w HPS is the best on the market. The PAR measurements are incredible with that bulb. It is about 10% more stable in the usable 400-700nm wavelengths than other competitor bulbs.

The dimmable feature is nice if your concerned with saving money through your veg period. Running a 1000w light on a 18/6 will run you about $80.00 a month.

keep in mind, you will want to have a sealed hood so you can hook up a blower to that sucker. I know some people that do not run there furnace for heat in the winter months!
Eye Hortilux in 1000w flavor runs $130.00  WOW!!
dont have that kinda cash.

$80.00 a month seems pretty high

I was actually looking at an open reflector
http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-Sunsoaker-Reflector

You have to remember the light uses 1000 watts + ballast fan (inside the ballast) and overhead, Mine is around 1150 watts. On top of that you need cooling.  Those open reflectors will require cooling. Cool Tubes or open you will need to keep that room cool.  my 465CFM fan for my light uses around 150 watts. Plus the blower fan that pushes cool air into the tent. I would say around 1500 watt total. But the amount of lumens you get from HID is worth it compared to other products right now.

HP22BH said:

Eye Hortilux in 1000w flavor runs $130.00  WOW!!
dont have that kinda cash.

I was actually looking at an open reflector
http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-Sunsoaker-Reflector

If this is a hobby. It will get very expensive!

Those hortilux bulbs are the cream of the crop!

Here is the formulas you will need to calculate electricity costs on any given piece of equipment:

First you need to calculate total watt hours (Wh) used over the course of the month. (W x hours x days = total watt hours)

Example: 1000W HPS x 18 hours x 30.5 days = 549,000 watt hours.

Now you need to convert total watt hours to kilowatt hours. (Wh / 1000 = kWh)

Example: 549,000 / 1000 = 549 kWh.

Now you can calculate how much per month that particular device will cost you. (kWh x cents per kWh)

Example: 549 x 12¢ = $65.88 per month.

You can shorten the whole equation to this:

(1.0 x .12) x 18 x 30.5 = 65.88

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that does help some.
what are the plusses and negetives of going from 18 on to 12 on for curiostities sake? The main  goal here is to keep the plants alive and vibrant from one year to the next. Full production of pods would be great but not till I can justify the costs.

If your main goal is to keep the plants healthy, you can do that with much less light. What is your coverage area? If it's not too big you could run a 1000W light on half power for only 8 hours a day, and you'd probably still get some pods.

Oh man! Are you ready for a quick and dirty biology lesson?

Many flowering plants (angiosperms) use phytochrome or cryptochrome (photoreceptor proteins) to sense changes in photoperiod. These proteins are the signal to the plant to begin flower production.

This is called photoperiodism.

You can break up angiosperms in to three different classes when it comes to photoperiod.

Long-day plants. Those are plants that will begin developing flowers in spring and early summer when the day period is at its longest. Lettuce, turnips and oats are in that category.

Short-day plants. These plants develop flowers in late summer and fall when the day period is short. Cannabis and hops are two of those plants.

Day-neutral plants. These plants flower regardless of the photoperiod length. Pepper, cucumbers and tomatoes fit in this class.

There really is no good answer to your question when it comes to day-neutral plants. Some of us use 24/7 light cycles while others use 16/8.

Leave 12/12 to short-day plants. ;)

Cheers!

thx again, just figured I would ask. when investigating lighting, I came across someone on web using 12 on 12 off with CFLs. whether he actually was or not I cant begin to confirm. however, the plants did look good and a couple of them in particular were a ghost and a scorpion.

NateFrentz said:
If your main goal is to keep the plants healthy, you can do that with much less light. What is your coverage area? If it's not too big you could run a 1000W light on half power for only 8 hours a day, and you'd probably still get some pods.
I have roughly 120 sq ft at my disposal and from what I am finding out about energy consumption I may well have to use all of it and sell super hot sets this spring to offset the costs of this new endevor.

also see above post from theliveculture, photo periods that short wont cut it and besides you wouldnt want to cut intensity at the same time you cut exposure. thats a double whammy.

You can always get away with less day light length. Its just a question of the genetics of your particular plants.

I have had some incredible results with 24/7 but I've also experienced negative effects from that length as well.

try different day lengths to see what best suits your plant needs.

"particular plants" meaning other than peppers or types of peppers?

"try different day lengths to see what best suits your plant needs."
thats what I was attempting to convey by suggesting 12 on 12 off.

"particular plants" meaning other than peppers or types of peppers?

"try different day lengths to see what best suits your plant needs."
thats what I was attempting to convey by suggesting 12 on 12 off.

Was suggesting that not all plants that belong to a certain photoperiodism will react the same to certain photoperiods.

I've grown clone tomatoes under 24/7 and have had some great yielding plants (award winning mind you) while others look weak.

I am suggesting that you just start with a 18/6 and see how they react.

I run my lights 16/8 and they seem happy. The only reason to run 12/12 is if your flowering cannabis cause they flower when the light cycle changes. Peppers grow and flower all at the same time so no need to change the light cycle.

The only reason to run 12/12 is if your flowering cannabis cause they flower when the light cycle changes.

Really?

I grow a few plants indoors that require 12/12 and then a period of vernalization before flower production will even begin. None of which are even remotely related to the cannabis.

Never knew that but yea you flower cannabis with a 12/12 light cycle. I only grow vegetables and peppers these days but what other plants use 12/12 if you don't mind me asking.

Back