Dimmable HID

theliveculture said:
Really?

I grow a few plants indoors that require 12/12 and then a period of vernalization before flower production will even begin. None of which are even remotely related to the cannabis.
 We would love to hear about other different plants and their light cycle. 

Back to the OP:
This year I will be running 12/12. I ran 16/8 last year and the plants grew way too big for my grow room by early May. 12/12 will cost me roughly $25.00/month for a 600 watt lamp. I'm okay with that. 

Jeff H said:

Back to the OP:
This year I will be running 12/12. I ran 16/8 last year and the plants grew way too big for my grow room by early May. 12/12 will cost me roughly $25.00/month for a 600 watt lamp. I'm okay with that. 
I'm just grasping at straws here cause I really dont know, but wouldnt a 1000w HPS toned down to 75% and put on a 12/12 cycle be equal to a 750w light on half day cycles. I can expect peppers to do ok under those conditions? 
Incidently, our days right now are pretty much 12/12

$25.00 a month I can handle no problem, its $80.00 I need to work on.

Done deal!  just placed the order for a 1000w dimmable HPS system with the 48" sunsoaker reflector. I would have went with 2- 600w units but just couldnt justify the extra cost.   now.

Will update when it arrives and I get it up and running.

Never knew that but yea you flower cannabis with a 12/12 light cycle. I only grow vegetables and peppers these days but what other plants use 12/12 if you don't mind me asking.

I was being sarcastic about your "the only reason to run 12/12 is for flowering cannabis".

It is statements like that that create a false perspective in the outsiders eye... "oh.. You grow hydroponics! I got ya *wink*"

If you read my post to the op above about photoperiodism, you would see that I did indeed group cannabis in to the short-day group of angiosperms.

I have been playing with growing Arabidopsis thaliana. It is a small flower that is native in Europe and parts of Asia.

It has a very short life cycle and requires for 12/12 or less and needs vernalization to produce flowers.

Why you ask? Why not!?

Done deal!  just placed the order for a 1000w dimmable HPS system with the 48" sunsoaker reflector. I would have went with 2- 600w units but just couldnt justify the extra cost.   now.

Will update when it arrives and I get it up and running.

Congratulations man!

Just remember. You purchased a high powered space heater. You will need to ventilate your area if you plan on growing hydroponically.

Thanks, 

No, no hydroponics planned here. it is a basement room with and egress window. The room was specially built for an angelfish hatchery some 12 years ago. The walls and ceiling are all insulated and wrapped with a plastic barrier to keep moisture from getting into the rest of the house. All electrical was eliminated and a special 100 Amp load center was installed. all ventilation ducts were removed to again, keep all humidity in the room. I could keep on and go into more detail but I wont. the link below details the construction aspects if anyone is interested.

http://www.archangelus.com/hatchery

Thanks, 

No, no hydroponics planned here. it is a basement room with and egress window. The room was specially built for an angelfish hatchery some 12 years ago. The walls and ceiling are all insulated and wrapped with a plastic barrier to keep moisture from getting into the rest of the house. All electrical was eliminated and a special 100 Amp load center was installed. all ventilation ducts were removed to again, keep all humidity in the room. I could keep on and go into more detail but I wont. the link below details the construction aspects if anyone is interested.

http://www.archangelus.com/hatchery

Very interesting read!

I used to propagate corals for salt water tanks as a side business. Not in to the fish thing anymore?

Looks like your all set though!

Corals are pretty wild. I brought in over 150lb of live rock for a neighbors 120 gal salt tank. its not coral but it get pretty neat too.

I got confirmation today. Light shipped and is scheduled to arrive on Oct 7th. just in time actually. cool nights are impacting plants.

Back