• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dirt to hydro question

What would I need to do to transplant on of my CARDI seedlings from the 4" cup to a drip hydro waterfarm?? Is it as simple as washing all the dirt off and rinsing the roots with a hydrogen peroxide solution and then stick the roots clumsily into the hydroton??

DarkTrak said:
What would I need to do to transplant on of my CARDI seedlings from the 4" cup to a drip hydro waterfarm?? Is it as simple as washing all the dirt off and rinsing the roots with a hydrogen peroxide solution and then stick the roots clumsily into the hydroton??

Probably; that was the consensus on another thread about this very subject. Minus the clumsy part, of course. ;)

A minute, maybe I can find it...
Nope, couldn't find it but I remember it was also decided one can go both ways; dirt to hydro and hydro to dirt as long as care was taken, as it always should be, in a transplant.

Yeah, there is; coarse coir (must be soaked and rinsed), rock wool, foam, Perlite, vermiculite, washed river rocks. Punch it into google; I've seen a system where there was no medium at all, just some kind of "collar" that held the stem.

AjarnV said:
Yeah, there is; coarse coir (must be soaked and rinsed), rock wool, foam, Perlite, vermiculite, washed river rocks. Punch it into google; I've seen a system where there was no medium at all, just some kind of "collar" that held the stem.

No, I mean along with the hydroton in my system. Doesnt seem like those little round pebbles will hold the plant and roots very well?

Well, I did It anyway. I got as much of the dirt off of the roots as I was able to without hurting the roots and tossed it in there. I am partial to this little guy so I hope he makes it.... He is healthy so I hope..............
DSCF4007.jpg

DSCF4006.jpg

DSCF4012.jpg

DSCF4014.jpg

Six of my plants have done the trip Dirt to Hydro and all I do is wash the roots with tap water to remove the dirt.
Never had any problems.

DarkTrak, from my personal experience these plants in hydro setups grow pretty big, pretty fast, so you're right concerning about way for them to hold if the container isn't deep enough.
I had to tie my plants last year as a way to prevent this problem...

Bleash said:
Six of my plants have done the trip Dirt to Hydro and all I do is wash the roots with tap water to remove the dirt.
Never had any problems.

DarkTrak, from my personal experience these plants in hydro setups grow pretty big, pretty fast, so you're right concerning about way for them to hold if the container isn't deep enough.
I had to tie my plants last year as a way to prevent this problem...

Im not really worried about when they get older. At that point they will have a good root system to support themselves, I just feel strange putting a tiny little bare root ball in just a thing of little pebbles like that...how do the nutrients get to the little root ball in the middle of the ring?

DarkTrak said:
Im not really worried about when they get older. At that point they will have a good root system to support themselves, I just feel strange putting a tiny little bare root ball in just a thing of little pebbles like that...how do the nutrients get to the little root ball in the middle of the ring?

I have a DWC system so its not the same as you have. Anyway this year when I moved my small plants to the system I didn't even bothered to fill the "cup" with pebbles as the rootball will fill it pretty quickly.
In your case I guess you have to keep a close eye for the first couple of days to make sure the pebbles always stay moist right next to your plants rootball.
Don't worry, its just a little more stressful because its your first try. In a few days you'll be able to breathe again :)

DarkTrak said:
...how do the nutrients get to the little root ball in the middle of the ring?

Hydrotron has high capillarity, ie, water sucks up by contact between the pebbles. One of the strong benefits of hydrotron.

DarkTrak said:
No, I mean along with the hydroton in my system. Doesnt seem like those little round pebbles will hold the plant and roots very well?

There's nothing to worry about that seedling doesn't weigh anything. Right now I have 7 foot tall Tomatoes in buckets filled with clay. We've had nasty thunderstorms and I haven't lost a plant.

I assume you're doing this indoors and if so wait about a week for the plant to settle in and start blowing it with a fan. That will toughen up the main stem and stimulate the plant to produce roots to anchor itself down

@Verne: thanks! I'm not really switching to hydro I'm just trying one out.

@Willard: exactly the answer I was looking for! Thanks!

@treeman: nope, all outside grown. Seed to fruit.

Took a pic of little CARDI before I left for work today...seems to have perked up and is enjoying his new home! Whatcha think?
df6586eb.jpg

Back