• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Discovery of the year / flop of the year?

Hello,

now that season is ending (at least in northern emisphere), it's already time to decide what to grow next year and what never again!
Maybe a reviews thread can be useful for all.
Here's mines:

Up

Bonda Ma Jacques: amazing flavor, good production and plenty of heat
Nepali: nice looking and TOUGH plants, good flavor and surprising heat for annuum

Down

Antillais Carribean (local mkt): growing forever and tall but very few pods (worst thing was flavor/heat was good! Damn), probably not loving my climate...

Cya!

Datil

Up: Fatalii, was the first time i had it. Unbelieveable how many pods this plant gets.
7pot Brain Strain , twice as many pods as my 7pot Barrackpore, giant plant.

Down: Elefant's skin ( if thats the name in english), nearly half of the pods were rotten on the plant cause it was ripping itself apart to much.

Up: Long Chocolate Habanero, CGN-21500, "Not" Naga Morich, Ancient Sweet, Brain Strain, White Bullet Habanero, Xena, Texas Toothpick

Down: Hot Lemon......hated it, will never grow it again...but it turned out to be my most prolific plant...lol go figure

Tepin, took all year to grow and then podded at the end....too late for them to ripen and all were lost. Most likely my fault but it was a failure none the less.

#1 Sandollar/Starfish and Bishops Hat and Cherries---all were great tasting and productive; lots of pods for a long time The Cherry bombs were hot---like a 6.5---the Large Cherries were better at about 3.5 heat level

#2 Sabes are great for filling and have about a heat level of Jalapeno but is a small plant with few fruits. My Nepali orange were great; good tasting, hot, and productive---they just go here because they were small and a little pain picking. Kung Po is a good pepper with a thicker skin then cayenne but the same heat; good production but a little late. Squash came out early and had good flavor but the heat was down at like 2.5---some were at 4.5 but that was a different squash---great production.

#3 All the very hots came in later or really late. Mananzo orange and red came in about in late august and the scorps and bhuts and 7 pots all came about mid september here. The Rococto either did not ripen or were too late to ripen---I am saving them for next year. The Dorset Nagas were good in production and maybe should be ranked as a #2 but the suckers are too hot to eat; only good for stewing, they also are small so a pain to pick.

My wild peppers also were very late not much production even late---not even a handfull except Bailyes tepin which I did get a quart plus from in late sept.

I can't blame all my varieties 100%, definitely some growing issues with the warm winter not killing pests off, but...

Aji Limon was not my cup of tea
Brain Strains (except for one) were meh (I liked a particular TS Morouga I grew, but not the other... go figure)
None of my "black nagas" turned out how I would have hoped... the down list could be quite long....

some of my favorites turned out to be wilds
C. praetermissum, Chiltepins etc...

huzzah!: aji dulce 2 (delicious, prolific and a huge seller at the market), black stinger (great flavor), scorpion yellow CARDI (gigantic), 7 primo (coolest looking pods, hot as hell), barrackpore (prolific, huge)

meh: purple bhuts (beautiful and prolific but not overly tasty), all the rocotos and manzanos (too finicky and slow to produce), everything with a pod smaller than my fingernail (suck to pick)

UP: 1. Chacoense. Once ripe had alot of heat and decent flavor. Seemed very popular with friends.

Up/down Manzano. I ended up only getting 12 peppers out of 4 plants that all died in August. I accept the challenge. The only peppers I'm starting are: Moruga, Starfish, Locato, Rocoto Red, Turbo Pube, Golden Rocoto, Giant Mexican Rocoto, Yellow Manzano, Red Manzano.

Down: Goats weed. Terrible taste and not that unique

Hello! I'm new here but my ups are:

Pimentos De Padron - large yeilds, keeps producing, tasty hot peppers
Super Pepper - quick producer, hot
Anaheim - Tons of peppers large plants
Scotch Bonnet Orange - Lots of pods, GREAT peppers
Datil - lots of pods
Pusa Jwala - HUGE yields, fast producer, favorite so far

Downs:
Cherry Bomb - small finickey plants, hardly any peppers
Black Naga - dead
Jalapenos from Lowe's - junk!

???:
Scorpions, Bhuts, 7Pots Reginas Hots, Senegal, Congos, Fatalii- Still waiting!

Up:
Aji Limo Rojo, a freebie from Peppermania that turned out to be a new favorite. Fairly mild for a _chinense_---maybe 1/2-1/3 the heat of a typical orange habanero---with a nice bright/sweet flavor and none of the habanero "smoky" or "musky" flavor. (I like that flavor fine for certain uses, but in others it can get obtrusive.)

"Thai sun", the upward-pointing tiny little _prik khee noo_ version. Unfortunately my seeds came from Reimer's; I learned my lesson in that respect, but I don't have a seed supplier that I'm sure is offering this same pepper. I'll overwinter the plants but I'd appreciate pointers to seed sources too.

Volunteer piquin type that showed up in my garden. No idea what it is; I've never planted any such thing, but I got two plants of something that looks like a piquin and tastes delicious. I've saved seed (fortunately the plants were far away from everything else).

Thick cayenne; not as hot as the thin versions, but sweeter and more flavorful. I'm pretty sure the ones I have are some commercial hybrid, and I'd like to find a good open-pollinated variety that's similar.

"Habanero de arbol"; I assume this is from Smokemaster's famous plant. I didn't get a lot of pods, thanks to the damn tomato hornworms, but the ones I do have are very attractive, roughly as hot as an orange habanero, and have a mild, sort of vegetal _annuum_-like flavor. They seem like they'd work well pickled or as stuffed poppers, for those who can take the heat, and they're currently my first-choice pepper for making vindaloo.

Down:
Rocoto/manzano. I just don't think I can get them through my summers; my plant "died" and came back twice, and the third time was just too much for it. The one pod that I nursed to a ripe state was heatless and flavorless, but that was probably because of the sunscald.

Poblano. I get perfectly good ones at my local produce market, and I can't seem to grow healthy ones in the garden for love or money. In the ground they become rabbit food, in containers I can't keep them happy.

"Chilly Chili" ornamental: The peppers look like Santakas, and they're pretty enough, I suppose, but not especially exciting as a patio ornament. I'll try some other kind of decorative pepper next year.

Good but not my thing:
Joe E. Parker, from the Peppermania mystery pack. They're a NuMex type, they seem like a good flavorful example of that type of pepper, but I'm just not a big fan of the style. I won't grow it again, but someone should!

-NT

This season was hard on every thing, but my ups for next year will be my red Bhuts, and a Trinidad Scorpion both were very hot and I did get a hint of flavor before my mouth exploded with fire, my taste buds are shot so the way things taste are a bit different. Also I had a Naga come up, where the seed for it came from I may never know, the plant was suposed to be a Brown Congo which I like and will dig the seed pack out of cood storage again. I have a bishop hat that I like the flavor is mild but good, I have several crosses I will be growing for the first time and I'm waiting for some seeds of some other super hots, so I will report my findings when I get pods from them I did get some yellow trinidads that I liked they tasted good and the heat was just about the level of a red T.S.

My outs was a wild Aji, it grew fast and had a hundred pods on it by Aug. but the flavor was bitter and the pods were so small. My Pratermissium was better as the pods was lager and and the flavor was good although a bit fuel like, I may grow it again next year. Now other wilds next year I have some other wild species but they will go on the back burner for a couple of years till get tired of growing the super hots.

This was my first season and I started way late (July 2nd through Aug 15th!). That said, I have plants chugging along, some of which are just setting their first pods.

My Brains, Morugas, Aji Dulce, Datil, and Ahaheims are going nuts. Haven't tried the peppers yet though. Chinese 5-color is a definite favorite. Very easy to grow, extremely prolific, and great looking.

Regarding the nays, I'll wait until the end of next season to make judgement. But for me the Bhuts were hard. My seedlings this year all died. My seeds for next year haven't germed after a month. Aji Panca looks like a great healthy plant, but incredibly finicky regarding budding. I have three foot plant that has yet to even open a flower.

This was my first season and I started way late (July 2nd through Aug 15th!). That said, I have plants chugging along, some of which are just setting their first pods.

My Brains, Morugas, Aji Dulce, Datil, and Ahaheims are going nuts. Haven't tried the peppers yet though. Chinese 5-color is a definite favorite. Very easy to grow, extremely prolific, and great looking.

Regarding the nays, I'll wait until the end of next season to make judgement. But for me the Bhuts were hard. My seedlings this year all died. My seeds for next year haven't germed after a month. Aji Panca looks like a great healthy plant, but incredibly finicky regarding budding. I have three foot plant that has yet to even open a flower.

Datils! Awesome peppers!!!!

"Up": Aji Dulce 2, Mulato, Pinguita de Mono

Would be "Up" if not for unfavorable climate: Aji Panca (terrific pod set 1 month before frost), Aji Amarillo (did harvest 30+ ripe pods off 4 plants but had 200-300 green get frozen outside), Kaleidoskope (Great flavor, but literally took months to ripen, at which point a freeze turned 90% of unpicked green pods to mush 10% were ripe and picked before freeze), Rocotillo (not sure if climate, but had a lot of core rot)

"Down": Chilhuacle Negro (not that bad, just not worth a regrow)

im not gonna go thru the list i liked most varietys i had a few free random seeds that i later ID ed from them plus some of my known ones here are 2

up, yellow chili manzano(rocoto) finiky plant, but good taste and decent production pa nting a few next year like the fact they dont cross polinate with other peppers,

down, goats weed yuck yuck! heat is up there but flavor is bad very productive and nice to look at but not planting again,

Haven't totally given up, but had problems with germination and those that did didn't survive passed the first true leaves: Bolivian rainbow, chocolate Habs

Scotch bonnets, had problems initially with flowering and falling over from wind, but now that it's cooler and they're supported, pods are much bigger than expected, alot hotter than store bought habaneros, too.
White Habs, decent harvest considering how many times I almost killed them.... Not quite 1000's of peppers, but I did start them pretty late, no access to full sun for more than 3-4 hours and they suffered a few periods of 48+ hours of darkness and alot of overwatering and too much Epsom salt at times.... Harvested about 40 pods from two plants so far with at least 30 more ripening and new ones showing up every few days or so....
Santa fe grande, it'd be better if I grew them in separate pots, have two sharing a 1 gallon pot so both are stunted.... Had 15-20 pods set but the plants couldn't support them so only one grew to full size and four others growing about half size.... The rest just grew enough to show they were pollinated and setting fruit but not passed that.... Unripe, more of a sweet bell pepper taste, very mild hunt of heat, a good introductory pepper for my son....
Butch T, slow grower.... Seemed to grow in spurts, and likes the cooler weather more than my other plants.... 5 pods between two plants and I doubt I'll get more with the temps dropping like they are, getting alot of flower drop and no pollen right now....

Overall, pretty good learning season, hopefully I follow everything I learned for next season since I plan to grow about 20 this time around and will be starting a month earlier, but not as early as I'd like to start....

Don't have to worry about seasons here they grow year round, one I may not grow for awhile will be Chiltepin though I do still have 4 or 5 plants still producing I'm not real fond of the flavor.

Back