• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dislike High Tech Grow Supply Mylar!

Am I the only one who feels this Internet seller's 2 mil Mylar is trash? I bought a 150 ft roll for $39.99 two months ago. After hanging it, I was very disappointed how poorly it looked compared to SunLeaves brand Mylar I used to have. The SunLeaves product almost seemed like a pure mirror. HTG Supply claims they have a great product with 95%+ reflectivity. The product has dimples in it, not nearly as reflective as SunLeaves. I know this company has a good reputation, but I feel this particular product is a knock-off in ways.

Chris

ive never messed with mylar. but im bummed to hear about that from HTG, ive been recommending their 100$ 400watt grow setup to a bunch of people.
have you ever tried panda plastic? i hear its really durable, and even reusable.

YES, I swapped Mylar for all panda film. :) I'll report how my seedlings do this season using it. It's 10x more durable and easier to hang. If even 90% as good, I'll never go back to Mylar personally. I do too much foliar spraying to effectively use Mylar for multiple seasons. I'm not saying their other products aren't great. I have no experience with them. I just feel the Mylar is a cheap product compared to other commercial brands. Thickness is great, but the surface itself leaves something to be desired and it has defects off the roll.

Chris

Panda film, so that's what it is called. I found quite a bit of it at the Fairgrounds and they said I could have it. The only difference is it is white on one side and Mylar-like on the other. Thick stuff, seems to even have a bit of insulation value.

Mike

OK, I take my words back. ALL HTG Supply reflective material is junk. I had to rip down my panda film 2 weeks after starting my seedlings because the CRAP was actually offgassing a smell and making me sick to my stomach. Unbelievable. I don't know where they get this CRAP. At first I thought no way in hell this could be my issue. I take it down and find out YES, that was it.

I bought a 50 ft roll of Sunleaves Mylar - 2 mil. It's SO SO SO much better than HTG Supply's Mylar. Much higher reflectivity. The bottom line: you get what you pay for. If you think you can get 150 ft of mylar for the same price as 50 ft of another manufacturer's, you're probably mistaken. Corners have been cut. The good thing is the Sunleaves product didn't come out of the roll all dinged like HTG's, which they insisted was 'just fine' and wouldn't refund me. However, they did give me 20% off one item that day and I wound up wasting more $$$$ on the smelly panda film which was money burned. Ironic, huh?

Chris

Back