• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Distilled water for seed starting?

None of it is necessary imho but distilled or filtered water would probably help the Myco's get a better head start.

But i wouldn't bother with it for too long if it's costly or inconvenient.

Thanks for the replies.
I don't know if distilled is even needed I have always used it because it was recommended. Would be nice to do a little experiment and see if it's even necessary for seedlings. Distilled water is less than $1 a gallon so it's not something that is financially difficult for seedlings. :)

Proud Marine Dad said:
Thanks for the replies.
I don't know if distilled is even needed I have always used it because it was recommended. Would be nice to do a little experiment and see if it's even necessary for seedlings. Distilled water is less than $1 a gallon so it's not something that is financially difficult for seedlings. :)
Unless you are growing hundreds or thousands of plants :) 

Filtered water from a fridge will contain much more bacteria than tap.
Chloramines are just compounds formed when chlorine reacts with an amine group and are what you actually smell - the chlorine itself does not produce the strong odor. Chloramines have much lower oxidation reduction potential and are not used for sanitation, but rather are a byproduct of chlorine sanitization.

How many of you use distilled water to start your seeds? Do you think it's necessary? I have always used distilled water in my propagator but just used filtered water out of the fridge the other day when I started my Chinense peppers. Hopefully it doesn't make any difference.
I always use rain water, distilled water is the end, I never had any problems and great results!

Back