• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

DIY Cal-Mag recipe?

Anyone have a homebrew recipe for Cal-Mag? Buying the stuff by the gallon online is starting to get very pricey and I'd like to find a wallet friend alternative. Thank you in advance.

make your own.Take egg shell fry or bake them till good and black,The blacker the better. let cool pour into jar fill with white vinegar let set for 7 to 10 days pour off liquid thru a strainer make as much as you need for growing season. will keep to up to a year, leave cap on lose as it makes co2. oh do it outside cooking egg shell has a house clearing smell. if you have any questions please ask. works great mix two tablespoons to the gal of water,spray or water with mix.almost 99% calcium

I've thought about it before, never really got around to trying anything... I can imagine some difficulty trying to get the calcium and magnesium levels in balance. Off the top of my head, both soybeans and sesame seeds have a comparable amount of calcium and magnesium as well as other trace minerals... blackstrap molasses has more magnesium than calcium if memory serves... I'm sure between that and the eggshells some sort of tea can be made.

just buy some calcium nitrate. its super cheep ... like 2 bucks a lb. 2.5grams to a gallon of water gets you about 100ppm of calcium and 75ppm nitrate. if you need magnesium you can use epsom salt, just dont mix them together in any concentrated forms.

this is where i just bought some MKP from
http://kbchemicals.ecrater.com/

Excellent question! I've struck out twice driving to dealers from the cal-mag website, only to find them out of business! Now I know I can just do it myself!

ok, i am a noob, but i read on another forum from a LONG time member what he does, and well so far i ahve not seen any signs of deficiency. here is what i ahve been doing(i am sure you can do it on a much larger scale is needed) i take a big yogurt continer clean it out. and i add 1 cup of garden lime and fill the container with vinegar(it will react and release gas and bubble a little so dont cap it for a few hours) the liquid that is left contains both cal and Mg and the vinegar will only react with as much lime as it can so you will have left over settle on the bottom of the container. and as the liquid level gets used i just add more vinegar to it and stir. and once all the lime is used up just replace it. i use foliage pro so it contains micro nutes but i add the mixture every other feeding. i used it last year on my bell pepper that getting BER and all the new peppers grew in BER free!

Eric

Do the egg shells completely dissolve in the vinegar? I've had a jar on the go for ages. It bubbled for a while but the shells are still there.

You can get Calcium Nitrate from Hydro-Gardens, $10 for a 5lb box, plus ground freight. Epsom salt is available at the local Xmart pharmacy or in 5lb bags in with the pool supplies.

Recommended ratio to mix for hydroponic daily watering(which you can also use on soil plants) is Nutrents + 1/4tsp Calcium Nitrate + 1/4tsp epsom salt per gallon of water, before bloom onset.
After bloom onset; Nutrients + 1/2tsp Calcium Nitrate + 1/4tsp epsom salt per gallon of water.

works great.

no the egg shell will not completely disappear, they will get very soft, unless you get them very hot and completely black when cooked.

Back