dehydrators DIY Dehydrator from Junk.

Hi everybody.

I was shown a simple way to make a dehydrator on another forum and thought I would share.

It can be built for next to nothing and the person who shared the info with me makes Beef Jerky (Biltong?) in his.

I can put pics up when I build mine but its not hard.

You need.

*An oblong box - im using cardboard.
*A small fan - 4" computer 12v one is fine.
*Transformer suitable of running it - You bound to find old ac - dc power supplies lying around the house from old modems/ radio's ect.
*A light bulb, baton holder, wire, plug - im going to use a 20w cfl.

Now stand the oblong box so the largest dimension is height. Cut a small hole towards the bottom as an intake and fix your fan so its pulling air into the box. Wire your baton holder and put your plug on the other end. You may want to fix your baton holder to the base of the box to stop it falling over. Cut a small hole in the top of your box (similar size to your intake).

Chillies or whatever you need to dehydrate can be strung across above the light bulb and left for a couple of days to dry.

The light bulb is warming the air and the fan is refreshing it to stop it getting humid which will result in rotted fruit eventually.

Basic diagram:
untitled-2.jpg

Dad made a nice one like this when I was a kid using plywood, door-screen, a fan, and lightbulbs. It was about 4' tall and could load 1/2 a box of apricots at a time. Also made killer Banana Chips. :)

Hi Guys,

I made a "Biltong box" Last year and used it the whole year long. It had the fan (12 v was not enough), so I got a 220V ac fan, very strong.

The fan was at the top, the lightbulb right at the bottom. The nets to stop the flies were at the bottom by the lightbulb then the air sucked over the bulb to remove the humidity.

It worked a treat.

Don't have any photo's but I can say, make sure you use a fan, if you only use a lightbulb then the meat nearly cooks, and gets a hard crust which isn't very nice.

I can't believe I didn't put pictures up. It takes about 5 days to dry chillis with a few slits in them. Thats using a 12v computer fan and 60w incandescent bulb.

DSCF1273.jpg

DSCF1745.jpg

huntsman said:
Easy and cheap... just like my women...! ;-)

In S.A., ?

Hmm, what colour are they?

Love to know...I know a couple gals from SA..but they are of British and American decent and hardly brown at all...and they'd prolly shoot you if you tried anything.

:)

Back