• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds DIY Seed starting system <$5

Hey guys, hope everyone is excited about the new season!

Check out my new video for seed starting system; this is great to start seeds for a hydro grow box style system, for direct planting in the garden, or for a kratky style grow (if you want to set it up with a trellis or cage for support).

Anyway... lets discuss it!

So I don't know about using the 5 gallon bucket for the seed starting but the wicking idea does work well. For starting the seeds I have for two years now tried diatomaceous earth (the absorbent material for oil spills and such) because it was so absorbent and I would use the masterblend, Mg, Ca mix and water in a seed starting tray. I could fill it and it would slowly absorb as it needed and this has led to really nice green healthy plants starting really quick. What I didn't like is that the diatomaceous earth holds a lot of the solution and I feel their is a considerable amount of waste that the plant roots cant get and evaporation. I also don't like how after a long enough period its nasty to get it out from around the roots. Since I tend to plant directly into soil anyway I will give the Promix soil (maybe just a sphagnum moss and perlite mix?) a try and see if it wicks and does as well. I am still loving your diy hydro/soil tote creation and am making a few more for this year, and will try and actually get some pictures of them to post. Love your contributions!

Hey thanks for the feedback on the project :)
Let me elaborate a bit on why they are in the buckets:

Initially, putting this exact same solo cup full of mix and seeds could just be placed in a shallow dish and do the exact same thing.  Where this bucket comes in, is that it allows for room for the plant to actually begin growing and the roots to be able to spread out (not root bound) until whatever point you want to transplant into the final container / garden.

If you dont want to buy the promix, you can make your own mix:  peat moss is very good at wicking, I would mix it with perlite and vermiculite (somewhere around a 40/30/30 ratio, or just search the forms for someones recipe)

I used to make all of my own potting mix, it is cheaper, but it became too much of a hassle.

Yeah I have used mostly as your other video had posted with the moss and perlite and did awesome with it. I get the idea of the bucket and how that would work well for tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers....things that can yield a lot. I guess I just didn't get the point of the cabbage. But i do get how it is fun to just mess with stuff and I think I would like to try that method but with one tomato plant this year and see how it does.

Student of Spice said:
I guess I just didn't get the point of the cabbage.
Oh, lol.  Just because its an earlier season crop, and I could get the video out there without waiting another month...
I posted it here because the system is excellent for starting out HOT PEPPER :dance:  PLANTS with large healthy roots.

pepper_rancher said:
Oh, lol.  Just because its an earlier season crop, and I could get the video out there without waiting another month...
I posted it here because the system is excellent for starting out HOT PEPPER :dance:  PLANTS with large healthy roots.

Good point, makes sense

while cool i don't think this is necessarily a revelation. If your goal is to show people how easy it can be then great.

This isn't very space efficient as you don't need that much reservoir for 4 seedlings could just use one of these cheap things. Or why not just a few bucks more and get a tote or and then you can put more in there. seedlings don't drink the water very fast so not like you will have to refill it a bunch.

Valid point about the space juanitos, I like using the buckets because I can swap to a single cup lid and keep growing the plant for as long as I want with no overcrowding or stunting.  But to start many seeds out quickly, you could even just use the cups and put them in a shallow dish of water.  You just want to move them once the roots start to poke out of the bottom.  Also consider, the cost over time will probably be cheaper with the buckets, they are about 3x as much up front, but they will last more than 3 years and that cheap clear tote will not last even 1 year.

Back