• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

DIY Two Bucket Sub-Irrigated Planter

muskymojo,
In my top photo above,I took a 1 gallon container,cut it down to approximately 4", and drilled holes in it.
I then put it inside a 3.5 gal (white) and put the green 5 gallon bucket on top. Works like a charm.
I've also used 5 or 6 empty beer/soda cans...which are about 4.5 "tall.
CM

Yes, that is basically what I'm thinking. :cool:

Mine were about 3" and I drilled the 2 1/2" over flow once I have the pots where I want them I will water them with larger plastic garbage can with siphon hoses in each bucket - I am thinking of adding some fish and lily pad for asthetics and fertilzer inside the can

That sounds like a great idea. I just don't want to get that elaborate until I know self watering buckets, in general, work good for me.
Also, wouldn't all the buckets have to be perfectly level for that to work? I would think the lowest bucket would just constantly pour water from the overflow holes. I want to put them along my fence in my backyard, and my yard has a slight slope.

I like the fish idea! It would probably work in full shade.

LD,
Thats kinda where I'm headed.
I've got 100' of surgical tubing,and an 18 Gal tote to serve as a reservoir for a group/cell of 8-10 containers.

My approach is based on assorted information I've gathered from the GB/EB threads from several gardening blogs.

After digesting the data I've concluded that a good rule of thumb for the bucket reservoir should be 1 Qt. water per each Gal. of soil/mix.
Additionally,some of the successful EB users determined that one can expect a mature/fruit laden tomato plant to wick a gallon or more of water a day in hot weather.

Eight days ago, we had a late frost(33 degrees) that forced me to bring all my seedlings into the house, and killed more than half the green beans I had planted.
Since then I've transplanted 35 or so...and yesterday it reached 90 degrees and today I'm worrying about sunburn.

Only time will tell what works for each of us.

CM - we are definitly on the same page! you could acutally balance the two totes at another level with a siphon so they will be equal in water - just need some sort of valve to turn water on when the totes get below a certain level and turn off - but that maybe going a little to far and my intervention should be factored in :)

I have found a pdf if anyone is interested about a automatic watering system build - Here its called 2010_PetesAutomaticWaterProject.pdf and it is 3.23Mb download

Back