• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Do containers have to be elevated off the ground?

I was wondering if containers need to be up off the ground or can they sit directly on the ground outside?
I have always elevated them but I have so many this season that I don't have enough bricks and so forth to sit them all on. What do you all think?

IMO, for the non-fabric pots, it might be best to have them elevated at least a bit to aid in drainage.  I have always kept fabric pots directly on the ground.  The added benefit there is that the roots can eventually grow into the ground and add another nutrient/water source during hot summer days.

off ground can block some pest entering the holes...

depends on your point of view on that....   persoanlly they are on the ground directly.. .if some worms go in that is good for me! 

As stated, differing philosophies. Some containers want more drainage - especially depending on location. There are both pests and bennies that can enter from ground contact. And while one person might want root growth to ground, another may not.

There is no wrong answer to the question, only situational variables. To find out what works best for you, why not plant 2 containers of the same plant, side by side - one contacting ground, one elevated - and observe the outcome?

First time using fabric pots(3 gallon and 5 gallon).  I have them on the ground of an old play area for my daughter(rubber mulch).  Are the roots going to go through the fabric?  If so, I assume I should move, as the roots will not do well in rubber mulch?  Thank you.

I use fabric pots to encourage the roots to air prune. For my plants, I want a dense central root structure - not a roaming, leggy, tap-like structure. So, for that reason alone, I choose to elevate.

solid7 said:
I use fabric pots to encourage the roots to air prune. For my plants, I want a dense central root structure - not a roaming, leggy, tap-like structure. So, for that reason alone, I choose to elevate.

I've used fabric pots for 2 years and both years I had both.  It wasn't an either/or scenario.  Every plant that was in a fabric pot had a VERY dense root structure as well as a multitude of roots that went into the ground.

Never thought of it that way.   For me, containers let you move the plants toward or away from various environmental factors such as sun (too much or too little), rabbits, javelena, etc.  Tabletop or ground level really shouldn't much matter to the plants.

Hammerfall said:
off ground can block some pest entering the holes...

depends on your point of view on that....   persoanlly they are on the ground directly.. .if some worms go in that is good for me! 
That was always my thought as well. You don't want bad bugs having easier access to the drain holes but in actuality they could still climb up the platform you sit them on and still get in. I do have high quality neem cake in the soil mix which might deter some. Not sure if that's even a worry though.
Some say sitting on the ground helps cool them while others say the ground gets real hot where they live. An interesting topic for sure.

Thoughts on increased water evaporation with elevated pots?  Suspect they would dry out quicker providing they have drainage holes and adequate air flow underneath?  Interesting topic here.

i put that weed fabric under my bags

IMG_20140519_195807.jpg

SpraysOnTheWayOut said:
Thoughts on increased water evaporation with elevated pots?  Suspect they would dry out quicker providing they have drainage holes and adequate air flow underneath?  Interesting topic here.

Most drain holes are so small that it probably wouldn't make much difference. (Although anything that dries the often soggy bottom inch of the container is a good thing.)   I suspect the higher wind speed found a few feet off the ground will have much more effect on total evaporation by the plant and soil.

compmodder26 said:
I've used fabric pots for 2 years and both years I had both.  It wasn't an either/or scenario.  Every plant that was in a fabric pot had a VERY dense root structure as well as a multitude of roots that went into the ground.
Like I said before, it's totally situational. I grow in a screened patio with an aggregate floor. For my purposes, I don't want containers anchored to the floor, or growing mold. I didn't mention it before, but since we're on the subject, I prefer taller cloth pots. I either use 7 gallon purchased, or make my own with hardware cloth and burlap. And them I elevate. Whatever I can do to prevent circular runners, or "tap" roots.

Generally elevating them is not needed. Evidence: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/20241-2011-insanity-the-girls/?p=480535
The biggest factor is whether the pots you use have sufficient drainage or not.

That said, when we have extremely rainy seasons (to the point even plants in the ground are yellowing) I move my pots into my garage and keep the door open for light. You can see in the pics on my glog that my pots are on cement, which keeps any roots that peek through the drainholes from digging into the ground. What you can't see is what I do with my overwinters. I pull them completely out of the pots, remove as much of the old soil as I can and prune branches and roots to about the same distance from the soil line. They then get repotted. Those that have the largest root systems get moved into larger containers, but typically pruning the roots back keeps them from getting root-bound in the following season without potting up. 

AaronRiot said:
I snuck a couple cumari do paras into those hanging baskets they put geraniums in... Heh..
e2y5uha3.jpg
That's a cool set up. I saw a three fabric hanging pot set up at the local hydro store and almost pulled the trigger on it, but they were asking too much. I really like having them off the ground like that.

I keep mine elevated because down here in S FL it gets very hot and the concrete/pool decking gets unbearable with bare feet. It was cooking my plants from the bottom up. If I were to put them on the ground I would agree with OKGrowin with placing them on a weed barrier fabric to keep the bugs and grass/weeds from invading my buckets.

Angie.

Back