• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Do deer eat pepper plants?

salsalady

eXtreme Business
A local gardener told me he'd had trouble with deer eating some chile plants in his garden, even some hot ones like habanero.

All my plants are outside right now, in the back of a pick up and right next to the garage. We have deer come through the yard daily, and I want to move the plants out to the middle of the field where they will get full sun all day.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had trouble with deer eating their plants? Any preventive measures to do before setting the plants out in the field?

Thanks-

I'm sure they will if given the chance. I pour a perimeter of urine around my garden to keep them out. Human hair works too, so ask your local barber shop to save you some.

I always had deer problems until one year I put a bunch of chinense peppers around my garden and I watched a deer eat one. You should have seen the kicking and snorting with snot flying, and a bunch of her buddies were watching. Its been a few years now and the deer are still staying away whether its coincidence or somehow the warning spread:)

POTAWIE said:
I always had deer problems until one year I put a bunch of chinense peppers around my garden and I watched a deer eat one. You should have seen the kicking and snorting with snot flying, and a bunch of her buddies were watching. Its been a few years now and the deer are still staying away whether its coincidence or somehow the warning spread:)

:lol: Man, that show would have made a fantastic vid. :)

Deer will eat the small plants until the hot pods show up. After the plants have grown, the pungency of the pods will keep them away normally. I used to make my own deer repellent with a few drops of Dave's Insanity mixed with water in a spray bottle. Spray the young plants with that and deer won't mess with them. Re-apply after rain. Spray down wind.

Back