• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Do I separat seeds that have sprouted already???

I'm very new to growing anything from seed so picked up a jiffy greenhouse with heating pad. About 3/4 of the seeds have sprouted since planting last week and are close to hitting the top of the dome. Do I separate those, leave them in the GH with dome on and wait for the rest to sprout or take the dome off and wait for the rest to sprout? I have a lot of different varieties of peepers and read that some take a week and others take up to 4 weeks, but can't find any info on if I need to separate the ones that are already hatched or what.

Thanks. Do I need to keep them in a make shift green house like a box covered with plastic and a heat mat or just leave them out in the open under the light? Although it's only been a week several had grown so fast they are no pushing up against the dome top and are slightly bent over.

As soon as I see a stem I take them out and under the lights they go. After about two weeks when the get their first true set of leaves I transplant into 4 inch pots. If you leave them in the dome they could get damping off or become leggy due to lack of light.

Ya, I just did that with a cotyledon seedling about 1" tall...the other ones are still semi-hooks and it needed room. Normally, I don't transplant until first true leaves..but needed to in this case since one was so strong compared to the others.

So, I did up a 3" quare container w/ my pro-mix/perlite and a mild dose of 5-3-4 Terracycle granular fert. Seedling really seem to like the worm poop. :D

Pre-watered the soil..don't want to drown the baby, eh?

Made sure existing seedling's soil was nice and damp then used the end of plant marker to dig down around and just loosen it so I could pull/scoop it out, then just used the same stake to make a hole in the new container's dirt, and plopped it in leaving about 1/4" unburied.

Gave a tap down to secure it and a sprinkle of water, and 'tis all good.

Took about 3 mins to do. :)

PIX:

S6302774.JPG

The original seed cup with remaining sprouts; one a hook, one just starting to unfold. Also the marker I used and the new transplant.

The chopped-down cup is gonna still have plastic wrap held on with a rubber band until the other two unfold at least.

S6302783.JPG

Transplant closeup..one cotyledon tip was a bit tweaked when it came up stuck and I had to do surgery, but no worries. It'll be happier now and I won't have to worry about it.

I guess it helps I have smaller fingers and good dexterity. But just be gentle and careful...ya should be fine.

-QS

Great info! Thanks for all the tips as a first time seed grower I'm learning a lot. I have a bunch of 4" pots and was wondering if it would be possible to put them in their, but based on your feedback it seems that is a good fit. My only questions is do I leave the netting that came with the peat pucs or do I pull that off after I get it out of the tray? Not sure if the roots will just grow through the net or if I have to remove the net BEFORE transplanting. I picked up some worm casting and I noticed a few sick plants really did well right off so I'll be sure to add some of that to my transplanting pots as well.

Maybe I have drier air or something...if I left the pre-true leaf ones uncovered they'd be dried up by morning. There's no thermostat in this apt either..so bigtime temp differences going on. They never seem to all sprout at the same time.

Shouldn't be light/heat issues, one 30W CFL about 4" away, and the regular floros for the other plants.

What I should do is just plant one seed per a cell, but I don't have those kind of trays or room for them.

Back