• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Do these look like Carolina Reaper?

I got the seeds from pepper joe, but I am hoping they originated with Ed Currie. . .EVERYTHING else I got from PJ ended up being a hybrid, or completely unrecognizable. My Datil's tasted like thai chilis and looked like pepperoncini's.

o9MujTo.jpg

Got to see the pods.There are a lot of different seeds floating around,some get a tail others don't.Those C.Reaper can pack some serious heat, depending on how they are grown. One doesn't have to fear it ,but you will respect it once you get a hold of it.Are it gets a hold of you.Stress growing.

alphajam said:
I got the seeds from pepper joe, but I am hoping they originated with Ed Currie. . .EVERYTHING else I got from PJ ended up being a hybrid, or completely unrecognizable. My Datil's tasted like thai chilis and looked like pepperoncini's.

o9MujTo.jpg

Can't tell from the plants themselves. Pepperjoes has a mixed rep. Wish you well.

On Pepper Joe: He is a very nice man.  Considering the number of people he has done business with, there is no wonder there are a few who are not pleased.  I remember when people gave him grief over seeds getting crushed in the mail.  Yep, if you are going to ship for free or cheap using a padded envelope is out the question.  Now he uses padded envelopes and his prices reflect that.  So now people complain about his prices.  When you have that many customers, you can not keep them all happy.

On hybrids: I grew some Carolina Reaper seeds from Pepper Joe and from Puckerbutt.  The plants from Pepper Joe were much more likely to yield fruit with that signiture thin tail that the Reaper reportedly has.  So I cloned the heck out of the best plants this past year and will save the seeds from these plants for next year.

The thing is, a lot of the newer peppers are not as stable as a person might think.  I think it was Bakers that discovered a chocolate reaper in his patch.  Not a single pepper mind you, that could be a bee moving polen around.  He had a plant that grew nothing but chocolate reapers. So a dedicated grower of the newer peppers continues to seed save and try to improve his own personel supply.  That is half the fun, the mad scientest aspect.

Then there is Pepper Joe as a business.  He buys and sells seeds.  So does Puckerbutt.  Believe it or not, Puckerbutt contracts with independent growers, who then provide seed to Puckerbutt, who at one point only sold wholesale to Pepper Joe.  He had an exclusive.  These folk have to.  At somepoint I read that Puckerbutt grew millions of peppers last year.  One person can not manage that alone.  So yes, mistakes happen but those mistakes are not generally with the sellers.  I have had a couple woops with Pepper Joe, but for the overwhelming majority of my purhases things went very smoothly.

Now, imagine the owner of what I think is a multi million dollar business actually answering emails.  No kidding.  I was completely floored to get a reply the first time I wrote him.  Nice guy.

On identification: So many of the super hots are scorpion pepper varieties that it gets confusing.  From what I understand, the claim is that the Reaper is not a scorpion strain.  Growing it, looking at it, I am not so sure.  So this year I am taking very specific notes on plant details as they grow.  We already have thousands started indoors and under lamps, but only the brain strains are to the point where I have really started to notice unique features.

20141209_213408-150x150.jpg

I am sorry, this image isn't great.  Had I taken it from the side and lower, you'd be able to see details like the branches are not symetric.  This is brain strain, but knowing that does nothing yet.  Its when someone (I am trying) puts together a list of where the branches grow in relation to each other, leaf shape, and so on that we can have a clue before they fruit.

Sorry so rambly.  I am basically a shut in due to injury.  Long story, am recovering.  Some nights very bored an talkative.

ajdrew said:
On Pepper Joe: He is a very nice man.  Considering the number of people he has done business with, there is no wonder there are a few who are not pleased.  I remember when people gave him grief over seeds getting crushed in the mail.  Yep, if you are going to ship for free or cheap using a padded envelope is out the question.  Now he uses padded envelopes and his prices reflect that.  So now people complain about his prices.  When you have that many customers, you can not keep them all happy.

On hybrids: I grew some Carolina Reaper seeds from Pepper Joe and from Puckerbutt.  The plants from Pepper Joe were much more likely to yield fruit with that signiture thin tail that the Reaper reportedly has.  So I cloned the heck out of the best plants this past year and will save the seeds from these plants for next year.

The thing is, a lot of the newer peppers are not as stable as a person might think.  I think it was Bakers that discovered a chocolate reaper in his patch.  Not a single pepper mind you, that could be a bee moving polen around.  He had a plant that grew nothing but chocolate reapers. So a dedicated grower of the newer peppers continues to seed save and try to improve his own personel supply.  That is half the fun, the mad scientest aspect.

Then there is Pepper Joe as a business.  He buys and sells seeds.  So does Puckerbutt.  Believe it or not, Puckerbutt contracts with independent growers, who then provide seed to Puckerbutt, who at one point only sold wholesale to Pepper Joe.  He had an exclusive.  These folk have to.  At somepoint I read that Puckerbutt grew millions of peppers last year.  One person can not manage that alone.  So yes, mistakes happen but those mistakes are not generally with the sellers.  I have had a couple woops with Pepper Joe, but for the overwhelming majority of my purhases things went very smoothly.

Now, imagine the owner of what I think is a multi million dollar business actually answering emails.  No kidding.  I was completely floored to get a reply the first time I wrote him.  Nice guy.

On identification: So many of the super hots are scorpion pepper varieties that it gets confusing.  From what I understand, the claim is that the Reaper is not a scorpion strain.  Growing it, looking at it, I am not so sure.  So this year I am taking very specific notes on plant details as they grow.  We already have thousands started indoors and under lamps, but only the brain strains are to the point where I have really started to notice unique features.

20141209_213408-150x150.jpg

I am sorry, this image isn't great.  Had I taken it from the side and lower, you'd be able to see details like the branches are not symetric.  This is brain strain, but knowing that does nothing yet.  Its when someone (I am trying) puts together a list of where the branches grow in relation to each other, leaf shape, and so on that we can have a clue before they fruit.

Sorry so rambly.  I am basically a shut in due to injury.  Long story, am recovering.  Some nights very bored an talkative.
thats some good reading thanks for the info  :D

Back