• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Do Trinidad Scorpions change shape as they ripen?

The plant pictured is supposed to be a Trinidad Scorpion, but unless the pods drastically change shape as they grow and ripen, I think someone changed the plant tag in the shop. Could anyone either please confirm this, or otherwise?
Thanks.

Attachments

• Trinidad Scorpion.jpeg
    Trinidad Scorpion.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Tag.jpeg
    Tag.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 91
It is not a trinidad scorpion. They do not change shape as they ripe. Sad to tell you bro: this has happened to me too...

Do you have more seeds in the package? You may have a stray seed there... Otherwise a bogus provider.

Edit: FloraSelf I believe is a reputable seed provider. I think I have bought from them in the past, but not chilis. Maybe the other seeds are correct? Or the pepper was mixed up? It can happen...

Last edited:
Thanks, copper. I was pretty sure that would be the case. No seeds, as I actually bought the young plant from Hornbach. I think some smart ass swopped the tags round :rolleyes:. Well not to worry - it's a chili plant anyway, so I'll just have to wait and see what the pods look like once they ripen. My Thai Chili plant is starting to really load up, and I still have a few Scotch Bonnets left over in the freezer, so I'll have enough capsaicin to get a regular fix for a while, and my wife has already sourced my seeds for next year's attempt - including a packet of California Reaper:party:.

Thanks, copper. I was pretty sure that would be the case. No seeds, as I actually bought the young plant from Hornbach. I think some smart ass swopped the tags round :rolleyes:. Well not to worry - it's a chili plant anyway, so I'll just have to wait and see what the pods look like once they ripen. My Thai Chili plant is starting to really load up, and I still have a few Scotch Bonnets left over in the freezer, so I'll have enough capsaicin to get a regular fix for a while, and my wife has already sourced my seeds for next year's attempt - including a packet of California Reaper:party:.
I had the same problem once with Hornback. Bought a dorset naga, and ended up with the chili in my profile pic... I speculate it is a goat pepper, but who knows...

I have one plant among my reapers that looks like that. Guessing just a mixup with a seed since all the others are fine.
They'll definitely look like scorpions from the start.

Well the pods on my "Definitely Not A Trinidad Scorpion" plant have started to ripen. They are just over an inch long, and as you can see from the new photos, they grow skywards in clusters.
No idea about the heat yet, as I just noticed them this morning, and don't necessarily want to eat an unknown, potentially dangerous pepper on an empty stomach 😱.
Do any of you knowledgeable types have an idea what they might be 🤔?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 09.05.37(2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 09.05.37(2).jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 68
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 09.05.37(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 09.05.37(1).jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 61
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 09.05.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 09.05.37.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 55
cannot be certain, but they look like an Italian pepperoncino I grew a few years ago. Is the bush compact (about 30cm tall)? If so, they are not very hot, but safe to eat. Hopefully others will chime in.

cannot be certain, but they look like an Italian pepperoncino I grew a few years ago. Is the bush compact (about 30cm tall)? If so, they are not very hot, but safe to eat. Hopefully others will chime in.

Thanks for that, copper. The plant is actually about 60cm, but it IS in a big pot 😅. I think your assessment could well be right, as the local woman who sold me a few "mystery" plants also sold me one simply labelled "Italian" which looks very similar to it. Here are a few pics for comparison, with the "Not Scorpion" plant on the right. I'll be trying one of the ripe ones later, and if it's not very spicy, I reckon you've hit the jackpot :dance:.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 12.38.40(3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 12.38.40(3).jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 65
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 12.38.40(2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 12.38.40(2).jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 63
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 12.38.40(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 12.38.40(1).jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 60
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 12.38.40.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-22 at 12.38.40.jpeg