• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Do yall know what kind of pepper this is?

Do yall know what kind of pepper this is? My neighbor does not speak English. He brought these over for me. I am about to taste one. Here goes:

WOW, it was REALLY hot. I am not used to peppers like yall but that was hot. I would say at least as hot as store bought Jalapenos. One thing though, the worst part of the heat was gone in about 90 seconds. No taste really, just heat

16480_unidentified_peppers_001.jpg

Pequin (or Piquin or Penguin) pepper Pequin has a compact habit growing typically 0.3 - 0.6 meters tall, with bright green, ovate leaves and small fruits that rarely exceed 2 cm in length. Like most chiles, fruits start out green, ripening to brilliant red at maturity. Pequin peppers are very hot, often 7-8 times hotter than jalapeƱos on the Scoville scale (30,000-60,000 units). Flavor is described as citrusy, smoky, and nutty.[1]

Other common names (and possible misnomers) of this plant are pinhead pepper, chile petin, chile pequin, piquin, chiltepin, and chile mosquito.

Back