• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Do you like Pepper in your beer?

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Very true, but my secondary has a spigot on the bottom, so I can do small pours without introducing any oxygen. I ended up brewing this Saison, but I used the Wyeast 3711 French Saison, instead of the WLP 565.

I also brewed a very hoppy IPA last week that I will be dropping two fresh aji amarillo into the secondary, along with some hops for dry hopping.

Good luck on your SMASH!

My buddy was talking about adding a spigot to the secondary for this exact purpose, I forgot all about it! Makes sense to do it to really fine tune your flavors.

I didnt use amarillo pods, but we used amarillo hops in our smash yesterday. Smells pretty good so far. We arent dry hopping this one, so I should be bottling in about 14 days.

geeme said:
I'll point out one other thought that applies for me - I typically don't want an extremely hot beverage for sipping. Don't get me wrong - I have infused tequila, vodka and rum bottles and a bit of those will about burn your tongue off. But I see those as "fun to do shots with" or "mix with other things", not as something I would drink straight for an extended period. 

Not that I'd drink those straight for an extended period if they weren't infused!  :lol:
Ive made the same with yellow 7 pods, naga morich peppers, and peach habaneros. The peach habanero tequila went over the best. 'fun to do shots,' especially at parties "WHO WANTS A HOT SHOT?!"

But I agree with you, the more I drink hot drinks, the more I learn its the flavor that I want, not so much the breath taking heat.

I tried out this one today, and was pretty underwhelmed with it. It had a nice aroma from the jalapeño, but other than that, it doesn't taste much like peppers, and it is a mediocre at best IPA.

No good stinkin dirty InBev-AB product! (as of april 2016) :mope:

I havent had a hot pepper beer in a while, might be finally picking up a Flying Dog Fever Dream in the near future. Cant wait to try there Carolina Reaper IPA.. or get even close enough to good at brewing to brew a hot pepper beer. I need to drop down on volume size as I feel like I am wasting alot of money in 5g batches of beer I dont -really- want to drink.

This was actually pretty good, considering I'm not a fan of lager. They managed to capture the flavor of the roasted green chile pretty well. I spoke with the brewer, and he said he throws the roasted green chiles into the primary, then once ready proceeds with lagering.

I like all of the non-lager-style lagers, but not lagers, if you know what I mean ...

The new IPL's and some lager-yeast stout I've had have been smooth and wonderful ...

I really want some more unbranded beer glassware, too ...

I hate the fact that the logos on my glassware often have nothing to do with the beer I'm actually drinking ...

Your posts always remind me, but I never go off to hunt them down thereafter ...

grantmichaels said:
I like all of the non-lager-style lagers, but not lagers, if you know what I mean ...

The new IPL's and some lager-yeast stout I've had have been smooth and wonderful ...

I hate the fact that the logos on my glassware often have nothing to do with the beer I'm actually drinking ...

Your posts always remind me, but I never go off to hunt them down thereafter ...
Only beers I do not like are (not considering commercial domestics) are Sour's. I've been drinking them more to try and get a taste for them, but I just dont like sour beers.

I love collecting(and using) glasses from breweries. Its like a concert tshirt "Been there!"

ERfUUXCh.jpg

Finally found and got some! Flavors definitely range, I've had sips that were just peach and other sips that were just heat. Aftertaste is all heat though, nice sizzle on the tongue and back of the throat. Overall id give it a 3.75/5 rating. If you like heat and beer together, theres no reason to pass this one up.

Another beer I have just found out about thats releasing in September is Weyerbacher's "Sunday Mole Stout" which is their "Sunday Morning Stout" made with peppers. I am assuming mole peppers since they didnt specify. I dont know how far their distribution is though. But Weyerbacher is top notch classy beer out of Easton, PA. My(and families) #1 favorite brewery. Still mad they discontinued Double Simcoe!!
Weyerbacher-Sunday-Mole-Stout-.jpg

http://www.weyerbacher.com/

grantmichaels said:

I agree with you there, I've had some good IPLs. I've never had a stout that was brewed with lager yeast that I know of specifically, but I've tried several baltic porters, that I gather can use lager yeast from time to time.

The best local pepper beer I've had was the jalapeño saison from Loudoun Brewing Company. It is damn good.

I just picked up some of the Carolina Reaper IPA. It's pretty good, actually. It has a pretty decent burn, and is actually quite refreshing. I think the peach compliments the Reaper both in flavor and aroma. It is definitely not a beer for everyone, and I probably wouldn't drink more than two in one sitting, but it's a good beer to sip on while grilling and gardening. I couldn't resist picking a few Reapers off my plant for the photo op.

I ended up brewing this Saison, but I used the Wyeast 3711 French Saison, instead of the WLP 565.

That 3711 is a madman! I've never seen a carboy as active as when I did my saison with 3711. I thought it was going to explode!

Poopasaurous! said:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/40686-hot-foot/?hl=%2Bhot+%2Bfoot

Hopefully that link worked. I find that peppers are amazing in stouts and porters. Don't knock it till you try it-that's what she said.
For sure! I brewed a stout a few weeks ago with peach bhut SS from my garden. I've taken a few sample tastes while checking gravity, and there is a definite bite to it. Not too overpowering though.

ColdSmoke said:

That 3711 is a madman! I've never seen a carboy as active as when I did my saison with 3711. I thought it was going to explode!
Yes it is a madman, if you don't use a blowoff hose, it might explode, or at least blow the top completely off. Wyeast 3787 ferments even harder though. I brewed a white IPA in late Spring that was completely done in just under 3 days, ready for secondary and dry hopping. I do have to say that I much prefer the WLP 565 over the Wyeast 3711, mainly due to the flavor profile.

I'm going to be brewing a Belgian Tripel tomorrow, with a hefty amount of fresh aji amarillo from my garden. I plan on using
Wyeast 1214 or WLP 500. It just depends on which one is fresher when I visit my LHBS after I get off of work tomorrow evening

It's kinda the same thing as chocolate/pepper or coffee/pepper. They do mix well and have been mixed like that for thousands of years. So it's going to be amazing with stout and porter.

The brewing company in that link has made 3 different stouts with different super hots that I've grown. We used a half barrel, took the tube out of the keg, and tied a cheese cloth type sock to the bottom of the tube. Half of a fresh super hot is in the sock so that every time you pump beer out of the keg, it has to go through the pepper. As the keg becomes lighter, the beer gets hotter!

Everytime they make that pepper beer, the keg is drank within 3 days or less by the locals. It's extremely tasty and by using the fresh pepper instead of during the brewing process, you get the taste of the actual proper.

Most people have said they don't like pepper beer and it's because the brewers mix it in the brewing process and it comes out with a black pepper/only heat taste.

Next time you get a stout, slice a small piece of a pepper of your choice(try different ones) and drop it in your glass of beer. This is the only way that I have figured out how to get it right.

Poopasaurous! said:
It's kinda the same thing as chocolate/pepper or coffee/pepper. They do mix well and have been mixed like that for thousands of years. So it's going to be amazing with stout and porter.

The brewing company in that link has made 3 different stouts with different super hots that I've grown. We used a half barrel, took the tube out of the keg, and tied a cheese cloth type sock to the bottom of the tube. Half of a fresh super hot is in the sock so that every time you pump beer out of the keg, it has to go through the pepper. As the keg becomes lighter, the beer gets hotter!

Everytime they make that pepper beer, the keg is drank within 3 days or less by the locals. It's extremely tasty and by using the fresh pepper instead of during the brewing process, you get the taste of the actual proper.

Most people have said they don't like pepper beer and it's because the brewers mix it in the brewing process and it comes out with a black pepper/only heat taste.

Next time you get a stout, slice a small piece of a pepper of your choice(try different ones) and drop it in your glass of beer. This is the only way that I have figured out how to get it right.
That's good info man! I guess another way to get that effect would be to bottle the beer with slivers of pepper in the bottle. I've had some success lately "dry hopping" the secondary with peppers, which definitely catches the aroma and flavor of the peppers, and some heat.

Back