• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's 2013 Glog - 7/11/13

My 2013 grow officially began 10/14/2012, when seeds hit soil. After seeing Fernando (SocalChilehead) growing in his greenhouse "sanctuary" and KiNGDeNNiZ continuing to start new growth in his AeroGarden, as well as the community HP22B grow thread already being 8 pages, I broke down and started my 2013 grow. I was going to limit it to 50 varieties, but that ended up being 64, 77 including the plants I want to save from 2012. If some varieties don't pop or I end up losing some along the way, I might still be down to 50 (or less!) in no time. The grow list with pop dates is at the bottom of this post.

Since I had plenty of seeds I wanted to try an experiment. Which is better for germination, soil or Rapid Rooters? I have two mini-greenhouses with 36 soil cups each, and one mini-greenhouse with a 72 cell insert loaded with Rapid Rooters. All seeds were soaked overnight in water that had been boiled and cooled and contained a dilution of brewed chamomile tea and H2O2. The Rapid Rooters and soil were both moistened with the same mix. The soil is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 amended lightly with Ancient Forest and worm castings. Wondering if the organisms in the amendments might help break down the seed coat. Each cell contains about five seeds. This will force me to cull the weaklings, as opposed to trying to save them, hahaha! At most I will end up with two seedlings for each variety. If both survive, I can try to gift one of the two. I am thinking that some varieties may germinate better in soil, some better in the Rapid Rooters, and for some it may not make a difference. I read somewhere that kelp solutions are rich in growth hormones. Has anyone added a light kelp solution dilution to their germination setup? I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to each Rapid Rooter cell. Fert-wise, the kelp solutions are very, very weak. I doubt it would do any harm. Has anyone ever tried the kelp? I have not, but might try it later on anything that seems stubborn to sprout.

I am hoping these guys are all budded up come springtime, and ready for an early harvest. Since my indoor space is limited, I am giving serious consideration to building a small greenhouse in the backyard and putting in a couple of space heaters for the night time. I decided against a raised bed, and will probably go with 5 gallon Root Pouches for the larger plants. Some of the annuums and plants I'm as yet unsure of I will grow in 2 gallon pots. If I end up liking them, I can always up-pot them.

Getting organized:

cupsandseeds.jpg

Man, I hope I didn't mix any of these up! 64 cups to keep straight is a far cry from 3. It will be 6 months until I know for sure!:

soaking.jpg

Rapid Rooters:

rapidrooters.jpg

Soil:

soilcells.jpg

Let the waiting game begin!:

germination.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, the white plastic labelling tags are available at Discount Hydroponics, $2.95/100! Cheaper than popsickle sticks!

Regarding the plants I already have, I am going to try to start cuttings off most of them in the event the plants don't make it over the winter. I won't need to start those from seed, although there are four varieties (Douglah, Fatalii, Barrackpore and Yellow Bhut) I am starting from seed, as well.

Question: When we start a new grow season, is it typical to just add to one's glog thread, or is it appropriate to start a new thread for the new grow year?

Anyway, happy growing to you all and thanks for looking. I'm hoping all the lessons I learned this year will help me to make this grow much more successful!

GROW LIST: I will try to edit in pop dates for both soil and Rapid Rooters. The Rapid Rooters might get earlier pop dates since I can see the rootlets before hooks form.

Sown seeds (65):

Trinidad Scorpion (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR)
HP22B (Pepper Joe) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Primo (Primo) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Billy Boy Jonah (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Congo Gigantic (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
7 Pot Barrackpore (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (RR)
Dorset Naga (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Naga Morich (Biscgolf - pods) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Bhut Jolokia (JoynersHotPeppers)
Red Rocoto (SocalChilihead) 10/22/12 (RR)
Malawi Peppadew (Refiningfirechiles) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Trinidad PI281317 (Pepperlover) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Anaheim (Pepperlover - gift)
7 Pot Chiguanas (Silver Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Devil's Tongue (Pepperlover - gift) 10/28/12 (RR)
Butch T (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR)
7 Pot Jonah (Pepperlover - pods) 10/27/12 (RR)
7 Pot Burgundy (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Infinity 10/20/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
Yellow Moruga (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/23/12 (RR)
Yellow Brain (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (Biscgolf) 10/26/12 (soil)
Fatalii (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR),10/28/12 (soil)
7 Pot Yellow (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Peach Bhut (AJIJOE) 10/28/12 (RR)
Beni Highland (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Morova (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
7 Pot Orange (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
Golden Cayenne (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Brown (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (soil)
Douglah (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (soil)
Black Habanero (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Chocolate Scorpion (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion F4 (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Black Naga (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (soil)
Pasilla Bajio (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/27/12 (RR)
Long Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/24/12 (RR)
Black Stinger (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
7 Pot White (Pepperlover) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Giant White Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
White Bullet Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
White Devil's Tongue (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/28/12 (RR)
Serrano (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/19/12 (soil) ***FIRST SOIL***
Jalapeno (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Red Bell (store bought pepper) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Andy F1 Gochu (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL*** 10/23/12 (soil)
Korean Winner Hybrid (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL***
Pimenta de Neyde (SocalChilehead) 10/28/12 (RR)
Trinidad Scorpion Green (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR)
Most Prolific C.chacoense (Pepperlover - gift) 10/23/12 (RR)
Royal Black (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Assam (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Scorpion "FG" (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Australian Lantern Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/26/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Aji Yellow (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Aji Omnicolor (OROZCONLECHE) 10/19/12 (RR)
Not-Trinidad Scorpion (long yellow pod from Arboretum, KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Mystery Chocolate Mix (Silver_Surfer) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Congo (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Peach Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Yellow Hablokia (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Sown 10/20/12
Yellow Bell (store-bought pepper) 10/23/12 (RR)
Sown 10/28/12
Chocolate Bell (Refiningfirechiles)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Douglah (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter (Refiningfirechiles)
Yellow Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Chocolate Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Pineapple (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Dulce 1 (Tradewinds)
Datil (Tradewinds)
Goat's Horn (Tradewinds)
NuMex Big Jim (Tradewinds)
Paprika (Tradewinds)
Brain Strain 7 (PepperRidge)

What I hope to save from my current grow, either whole plants or clones (13):

Carribean Red (local nursery)
Aji Panca (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter Pepper (Refiningfirechiles)
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (Refiningfirechiles)
Moruga (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Thai Dragon (North Park Produce)
Chenzo (North Park Produce)
Red Brain Strain (Baker's Peppers - pods)
Chinese 5-color (Orozconleche)
Aji Dulce (Orozconleche)
Datil (Orozconleche)
Bonnie "World's Hottest Hab" (Fatalii?) (Home Depot)

I'm going to do my best to keep one of each alive, but with 77 total, I might be lucky if a few croak!

Brent, will have see if i have any better photos backed up on my computer, but found these two still on the phone.

13664715526830.jpg

13664716104551.jpg

She barely got big. Was a later start & rest her soul...i think she is dead. :(
Had her in the kitch and one of the wifes cats defoliaged her for the whatever time, and she hasn't recovered. Sitting on the back porch in the sun and nothing so far. Its been a couple weeks.

Thank you, Ramon. Glad to see you back around the forum. You were definitely missed, and I hope things are getting better.
Thank you, not sure anyone can say things get better but we must move forward for the rest of our families and our children. My folks memories live on as we’ve made it a point to review all the great times we had together. Just this morning my two sisters and I were telling stories to our younger boy, it was nice … Again, thanks ^_^

That sucks about the sago palms in your area. Some sort of plant disease? Love sago palms. …
I believe it is called Cyad Scale, but I now have learned of a cure from Tom here in THP, so I might just get another one but it’ll never be as cool as the one I had groomed for so many years.

… 35 up-pots in 6 hours. Used 20 gallons of my fertilizer blend. Kinda sore this morning, lol! I do between 5 and 7 operations on my OR day. Did I misunderstand, are you a Surgeon,also. 15 a day? Sounds like an Opthalmologist.
lol, no surgeon here, I was only referring to up-potting, I don’t do more than 15 per day. My apologies for any misunderstanding. In an incorrect way I was comparing up-potting to surgery, maybe that’s what gives you the patients to do 35 in a day, IDK.

Wow, quite a bit of work to re-pot that many in one day!

They all look great! I'm sure you'll have more peppers than you can eat, but that's a good thang!

Happy house hunting!

How's that new ride? Open her up yet?

Keep up the good work!

Scott

dang!! youve been busy. looks great :dance: have fun shopping for house.
Thanks, man! They are indeed coming along. After I get this group of 12 up-potted, I still have 42 that are not yet ready. At least the up-potting can be done in waves.
Doc, holy busy buddy. You just don't realize how much soil your gonna need until ya need it eh? Plants are looking magmarvelous! Score on the Manzano!
You're not kidding, Jamison! I was amazed when I calculated out how much was needed. Thanks!
Dang...that Manzano should have had the most unique pepper flavor you've ever tasted. Like an annuum x pineapple with a heat that lasts for a nice long time. Plants are looking stellar doc! Hope this weather finally takes a turn and we stay warm!
I'm sure the homegrown ones will have much fuller flavor. This one was kind of flat, but the heat was definitely there. But thanks, man. It certainly is warm this weekend. 8)
She barely got big. Was a later start & rest her soul...i think she is dead. :(
Had her in the kitch and one of the wifes cats defoliaged her for the whatever time, and she hasn't recovered. Sitting on the back porch in the sun and nothing so far. Its been a couple weeks.
That is a great looking plant! Too bad it became catnip. I'll try to get a pic of mine up later today.
Thank you, not sure anyone can say things get better but we must move forward for the rest of our families and our children. My folks memories live on as we’ve made it a point to review all the great times we had together. Just this morning my two sisters and I were telling stories to our younger boy, it was nice … Again, thanks ^_^

I believe it is called Cyad Scale, but I now have learned of a cure from Tom here in THP, so I might just get another one but it’ll never be as cool as the one I had groomed for so many years.

lol, no surgeon here, I was only referring to up-potting, I don’t do more than 15 per day. My apologies for any misunderstanding. In an incorrect way I was comparing up-potting to surgery, maybe that’s what gives you the patients to do 35 in a day, IDK.
Well, your Mother lives on through memories. That is what it is all about. I don't know about patience to do that many, but I just was on a mission, lol! Had the tunes going and just kept putting one foot in front of the other, literally. The last five were painful to do; I was tired. But happy they are done.
Beautiful plants Doc. You are going to have your work cut out for you come harvest time. At least you will enough peppers to last for a long long time.
Thank you, Pia. Your plants are looking great, too. And with that score from CCN, you too are going to have enough peppers for a long long time! Thanks for stopping in!
Wow, quite a bit of work to re-pot that many in one day!

They all look great! I'm sure you'll have more peppers than you can eat, but that's a good thang!

Happy house hunting!

How's that new ride? Open her up yet?

Keep up the good work!

Scott
Thanks, Scott. Yeah, it was a lot of work, but well worth it. So many of these varieties will become powders. I find the powders to be very versatile, and a lot easier to give away to friends and family. I haven't opened it up all the way, yet, but for a stock street truck, it certainly puts a smile on my face. ;) It's not a fair comparison, but pretty much 99+ percent of anything I could drive is eclipsed by the pull of my GT-R.

And to all who asked, house hunting was fun. We might have found a prospect. We will see. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Well, another weekend come and gone. I had 12 more to get up-potted and had enough mix to do 11 -- close enough.

Some of my clones have been podding up. I was surprised to see some ripe peppers on them:

Caribbean Red:

Chinese 5-color:

And the Chenzo. It has a bonzai kind of look, so I took it out of the grow bag and put it into a patio planter:

While shuffling pots, I noted that the Devil's Tongue Whites weren't doing well in one gallon bags. I think I pushed them along a little too quickly, so I down-potted them into 4" pots:

Jason (GA Growhead), this is what my Variegata looks like currently:

This plant concerns me. I understand most chlorosis to be interveinal. This plant has chlorosis along the veins:

Any thoughts?

Well, another weekend come and gone, and everything back in it's place for now. Until the next up-potting party...

Even got a little harvest over the past few days:

Pasilla Bajio, Chenzo, Chinese 5-color, Caribbean Red, Not-Yellow Scotch Bonnet, Andy F1 Gochu
Golden Cayenne, Serrano

Have a great week, everyone!

Clones podding, now that’s something to be celebrating at the Doc Brent Pepper Estate, great job \o/ That red Caribbean looks like its gong to be tasty and all the others look great! Awesome harvest too!!!

Let me know if you find a cure for the vein chlorosis. I’ve had it on the leaves of one plant but not the veins. I was able to bring back some good color with iron and potassium of which the latter was just banana peal shakes that I occasionally make and pour on surface soil. I do have to remove that after a few days before it attracts ants but does plants wonders IMO. What have you tried so far?

Aside from that minor issue, everything looks great! Luckily you got that truck cause moving the Brent Jungle isn’t going to be easy, hehe … have a great week Doc ^_^

Looks good Doc. What do you think? 2-3 trips with the new truck if you move? That isn't too bad. You'll just need to do it soon before teh canopies get huge or it will be 1 trip for 3 plants and that might take a while.

Hahaha! Jeff, Take a look at the previous page, post 727. There are 70+ more plants in 5 gallon containers up to 5 feet in height! I've already decided I am going to rent an enclosed U-haul trailer. Especially since it will be at least a couple of months before we move. Thanks for stopping in. How's your grow coming along?

It is structured nicely. I noticed that. Almost said that. I can't wait to see a pod on her. Hoping we can guess the pollen doner.
Given that you narrowed down the list, I'm thinking that shouldn't be too hard. :)
It's going to be fun watching that wall disappear behind a forest of peppers.
Yes it is!
Sweet harvest Doc!!! Those not yellow bonnets look cool...are those the annuums? How do they taste?
Thanks bro! Yes, they are annuums. They have a fruity taste and are a tad hotter than a hot Jalapeno. Good pepper to munch on. These make two mystery annuums I have inadvertently growing. Both are pretty cool plants.
Clones podding, now that’s something to be celebrating at the Doc Brent Pepper Estate, great job \o/ That red Caribbean looks like its gong to be tasty and all the others look great! Awesome harvest too!!!

Let me know if you find a cure for the vein chlorosis. I’ve had it on the leaves of one plant but not the veins. I was able to bring back some good color with iron and potassium of which the latter was just banana peal shakes that I occasionally make and pour on surface soil. I do have to remove that after a few days before it attracts ants but does plants wonders IMO. What have you tried so far?

Aside from that minor issue, everything looks great! Luckily you got that truck cause moving the Brent Jungle isn’t going to be easy, hehe … have a great week Doc ^_^
Thanks for stopping in, Ramon! The clones are so funny because they are so small, yet making full-sized pods. Regarding the chlorotic plant, I have been giving it ferts with micronutrients, but it hasn't seemed to help. I've searched for vein chlorosis and only came up with a plant virus that is localized to Ghana. Weird. Anyway, I don't know if the problem is communicable, so I might end up tossing the plant before it spreads to my others. Not a huge loss, as this particular variety was an afterthought addition to my grow, anyway.

Nice score on the podage and the soldiers all lined up look great! Ready for duty sir!

The bonsai look is cool, is that the way it grew naturally?

Have you hit the chlorotic plant with epson salts?

Just went back about 5-6 pages. You have a beautiful set-up Doc! Can't wait to see how you will have the new place situated.

Powders! Brother, you are gonna have enough powder to dust all of CA!

Keep it coming Doc, I'm "following".

Plants and surrounding area looking most excellent Brent. :fireball: Love the bonsai look :dance:

:shh: Which reminds me not to let my wife see your fancy grow with all your ducks in a row :shh:
Hahaha! Thank and thanks for stopping in, Jaime!
Nice score on the podage and the soldiers all lined up look great! Ready for duty sir!

The bonsai look is cool, is that the way it grew naturally?

Have you hit the chlorotic plant with epson salts?
Thanks! It great that way on it's own. It's a clone, so it probably still thinks it's a branch. :crazy:

The chlorotic plant has received more than a few doses of CaMg.
Just went back about 5-6 pages. You have a beautiful set-up Doc! Can't wait to see how you will have the new place situated.

Powders! Brother, you are gonna have enough powder to dust all of CA!

Keep it coming Doc, I'm "following".
Thanks B.O.D., and thanks for stopping in! Happy you are along for the ride!
LOL, you know, taken out of context, a lot of the posts on this forum could really raise some eyebrows.
Hahaha!

I just finished watering and had some daylight left to shoot a few pod shotz! :D

7 Pot Burgundy (Silver Surfer via Coheed196):

Black Habanero (RFC). One of the smallish funk pods is ripening, but a more normal phenotype can be seen in the upper left:

Peach Bhut (ajijoe):

PI281317 (Pepperlover.com):

Dorset Naga (Pepperlover.com):

Peach Hab (ajijoe):

Not-PI281317 (Pepperlover.com). This is probably my tallest annuum and is quite productive. I have no idea what it actually is, but I like it:

Finally, Aji Yellow:

:dance: :onfire: :party: :fireball:

Back