• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's 2013 Glog - 7/11/13

My 2013 grow officially began 10/14/2012, when seeds hit soil. After seeing Fernando (SocalChilehead) growing in his greenhouse "sanctuary" and KiNGDeNNiZ continuing to start new growth in his AeroGarden, as well as the community HP22B grow thread already being 8 pages, I broke down and started my 2013 grow. I was going to limit it to 50 varieties, but that ended up being 64, 77 including the plants I want to save from 2012. If some varieties don't pop or I end up losing some along the way, I might still be down to 50 (or less!) in no time. The grow list with pop dates is at the bottom of this post.

Since I had plenty of seeds I wanted to try an experiment. Which is better for germination, soil or Rapid Rooters? I have two mini-greenhouses with 36 soil cups each, and one mini-greenhouse with a 72 cell insert loaded with Rapid Rooters. All seeds were soaked overnight in water that had been boiled and cooled and contained a dilution of brewed chamomile tea and H2O2. The Rapid Rooters and soil were both moistened with the same mix. The soil is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 amended lightly with Ancient Forest and worm castings. Wondering if the organisms in the amendments might help break down the seed coat. Each cell contains about five seeds. This will force me to cull the weaklings, as opposed to trying to save them, hahaha! At most I will end up with two seedlings for each variety. If both survive, I can try to gift one of the two. I am thinking that some varieties may germinate better in soil, some better in the Rapid Rooters, and for some it may not make a difference. I read somewhere that kelp solutions are rich in growth hormones. Has anyone added a light kelp solution dilution to their germination setup? I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to each Rapid Rooter cell. Fert-wise, the kelp solutions are very, very weak. I doubt it would do any harm. Has anyone ever tried the kelp? I have not, but might try it later on anything that seems stubborn to sprout.

I am hoping these guys are all budded up come springtime, and ready for an early harvest. Since my indoor space is limited, I am giving serious consideration to building a small greenhouse in the backyard and putting in a couple of space heaters for the night time. I decided against a raised bed, and will probably go with 5 gallon Root Pouches for the larger plants. Some of the annuums and plants I'm as yet unsure of I will grow in 2 gallon pots. If I end up liking them, I can always up-pot them.

Getting organized:

cupsandseeds.jpg

Man, I hope I didn't mix any of these up! 64 cups to keep straight is a far cry from 3. It will be 6 months until I know for sure!:

soaking.jpg

Rapid Rooters:

rapidrooters.jpg

Soil:

soilcells.jpg

Let the waiting game begin!:

germination.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, the white plastic labelling tags are available at Discount Hydroponics, $2.95/100! Cheaper than popsickle sticks!

Regarding the plants I already have, I am going to try to start cuttings off most of them in the event the plants don't make it over the winter. I won't need to start those from seed, although there are four varieties (Douglah, Fatalii, Barrackpore and Yellow Bhut) I am starting from seed, as well.

Question: When we start a new grow season, is it typical to just add to one's glog thread, or is it appropriate to start a new thread for the new grow year?

Anyway, happy growing to you all and thanks for looking. I'm hoping all the lessons I learned this year will help me to make this grow much more successful!

GROW LIST: I will try to edit in pop dates for both soil and Rapid Rooters. The Rapid Rooters might get earlier pop dates since I can see the rootlets before hooks form.

Sown seeds (65):

Trinidad Scorpion (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR)
HP22B (Pepper Joe) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Primo (Primo) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Billy Boy Jonah (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Congo Gigantic (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
7 Pot Barrackpore (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (RR)
Dorset Naga (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Naga Morich (Biscgolf - pods) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Bhut Jolokia (JoynersHotPeppers)
Red Rocoto (SocalChilihead) 10/22/12 (RR)
Malawi Peppadew (Refiningfirechiles) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Trinidad PI281317 (Pepperlover) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Anaheim (Pepperlover - gift)
7 Pot Chiguanas (Silver Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Devil's Tongue (Pepperlover - gift) 10/28/12 (RR)
Butch T (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR)
7 Pot Jonah (Pepperlover - pods) 10/27/12 (RR)
7 Pot Burgundy (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Infinity 10/20/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
Yellow Moruga (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/23/12 (RR)
Yellow Brain (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (Biscgolf) 10/26/12 (soil)
Fatalii (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR),10/28/12 (soil)
7 Pot Yellow (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Peach Bhut (AJIJOE) 10/28/12 (RR)
Beni Highland (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Morova (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
7 Pot Orange (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
Golden Cayenne (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Brown (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (soil)
Douglah (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (soil)
Black Habanero (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Chocolate Scorpion (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion F4 (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Black Naga (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (soil)
Pasilla Bajio (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/27/12 (RR)
Long Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/24/12 (RR)
Black Stinger (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
7 Pot White (Pepperlover) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Giant White Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
White Bullet Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
White Devil's Tongue (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/28/12 (RR)
Serrano (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/19/12 (soil) ***FIRST SOIL***
Jalapeno (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Red Bell (store bought pepper) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Andy F1 Gochu (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL*** 10/23/12 (soil)
Korean Winner Hybrid (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL***
Pimenta de Neyde (SocalChilehead) 10/28/12 (RR)
Trinidad Scorpion Green (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR)
Most Prolific C.chacoense (Pepperlover - gift) 10/23/12 (RR)
Royal Black (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Assam (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Scorpion "FG" (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Australian Lantern Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/26/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Aji Yellow (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Aji Omnicolor (OROZCONLECHE) 10/19/12 (RR)
Not-Trinidad Scorpion (long yellow pod from Arboretum, KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Mystery Chocolate Mix (Silver_Surfer) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Congo (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Peach Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Yellow Hablokia (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Sown 10/20/12
Yellow Bell (store-bought pepper) 10/23/12 (RR)
Sown 10/28/12
Chocolate Bell (Refiningfirechiles)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Douglah (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter (Refiningfirechiles)
Yellow Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Chocolate Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Pineapple (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Dulce 1 (Tradewinds)
Datil (Tradewinds)
Goat's Horn (Tradewinds)
NuMex Big Jim (Tradewinds)
Paprika (Tradewinds)
Brain Strain 7 (PepperRidge)

What I hope to save from my current grow, either whole plants or clones (13):

Carribean Red (local nursery)
Aji Panca (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter Pepper (Refiningfirechiles)
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (Refiningfirechiles)
Moruga (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Thai Dragon (North Park Produce)
Chenzo (North Park Produce)
Red Brain Strain (Baker's Peppers - pods)
Chinese 5-color (Orozconleche)
Aji Dulce (Orozconleche)
Datil (Orozconleche)
Bonnie "World's Hottest Hab" (Fatalii?) (Home Depot)

I'm going to do my best to keep one of each alive, but with 77 total, I might be lucky if a few croak!

Your plants all look great! The yellow brain pod is sure to be lethal, so watch out! 

Very nice looking harvest for such an early stage in the growing season. That has home made salsa written all over it :)

I was also going to ask how the house hunting is coming along.

MGOLD86 said:
I am sure that I will end up growing something.  I don't think I could take it going through the summer and not doing it when I have the chance. 

Awesome attitude!  Better post up a glog when you get a chance so we can see what you do with the time you have left this season.
Jamison said:
Jeez Doc Brent!      Have been slacking on everyones glog's o goodness!   Harvest!!!!!!!!!    Beautiful man.  Hows the house shopping coming along?   Them plants got twice as big since the last time I checked bro.    You def got that nurturing touch.  Must be from being a surgeon!
Thanks Jamison, you are too kind.  I must admit I was kind of counting on an experience like last year, ie., about a 75% rate of plant death.  I think I am going to be out of room!  We are currently in negotiations and hopefully will get an answer to the final counter today.  It's a weird thing to be stuck on.  The seller wants to vacate on COE + 3 days.  From what I gather, this is not uncommon.  I would be OK with it in a standard sale, but it makes me uneasy with a short sale.  If they can't afford their mortgage, what makes me think they can afford to move to another place?  I'm worried we will close, then they won't move.  So we are insisting on possession on the date of COE.  Their realtor has a website:  donotmove.com ... I am not joking!

Devv said:

Oh yeah, you can bet on that.

As for that slacking...hey I was looking at all those beautiful plants :party:
Awesome! 

Stefan_W said:
Your plants all look great! The yellow brain pod is sure to be lethal, so watch out! 

Very nice looking harvest for such an early stage in the growing season. That has home made salsa written all over it :)

I was also going to ask how the house hunting is coming along.
Thanks Stefan!  I hope Ma Nature stops getting biblical with you soon!  For the house hunting info, see above.  :)  Thanks for asking!

Portuge said:
Doc, you got it cut out for you... 12cu. ft. of Advanced #4 That a whole lotta potting up.... Remember lil by lil and your back will thank ya later...
Agreed, Portuge.  I got tired after doing 10 of them yesterday.  There's always next weekend.  ;)

Brent, hope you are using a good real estate attorney instead of closing agents from buyer, I'm not much for attorneys even though we have a few in our family, hehe. But the same issue arose when my better half and I bought our house (not short sale). While I don't remember how he did it because they were stalling on the move as well our closing was contingent on final move out inspection or something to that nature. The day it was to go down we had to postpone the closing because they were not out and there was some monetary incentive IIRC.

WalkGood said:
Brent, hope you are using a good real estate attorney instead of closing agents from buyer, I'm not much for attorneys even though we have a few in our family, hehe. But the same issue arose when my better half and I bought our house (not short sale). While I don't remember how he did it because they were stalling on the move as well our closing was contingent on final move out inspection or something to that nature. The day it was to go down we had to postpone the closing because they were not out and there was some monetary incentive IIRC.
Thanks for that, Ramon.  Our buyer's agent is part of an 80 realtor group.  They have their own short sale division, including a real estate attorney.  ;)

I went to that site, I think he's saying stay in your house (so I can sell it) versus walking away..

But still a scarey thought. I think you're doing the right thing with your closing requirement. When I close on something..it's now mine, you get out, now! haha

Anyway, you have an attorney on hand as part of the process, you should be good.

Good luck!

Devv said:
I went to that site, I think he's saying stay in your house (so I can sell it) versus walking away..

But still a scarey thought. I think you're doing the right thing with your closing requirement. When I close on something..it's now mine, you get out, now! haha

Anyway, you have an attorney on hand as part of the process, you should be good.

Good luck!
I agree, Scott. That is what they are saying on their public site. Who knows what they tell their clients in private? Yes, I need a tin foil hat. ;)

I think it is pretty common for the seller to ask for a couple days to move..... but cover your bases anyway!!

Also, people with high mortgages can short sell and get out of the crazy payment, then turn around and rent for half the amount they were paying.
Some folks do it smart, and buy again right before they sell, getting a similar place for 1/2 the cost.....especially with the super low interest rates right now!

Brent,
Your plants are full and lush looking. There's along summer ahead and I know some of those can hit 5/6ft tall.
It still amazes me after all these years how the pepper plants can take off. The biggest reminder is looking at
someone elses photographs. I can see my plants every day. They kinda creep up with new growth but to compare 
other glogs on a week to week basis is the ultimate reminder..........Deja Vu...

Hey, Brent, just had a chance to peruse the last couple of updates.  
You are right about your Pointed Yellow Hab - that baby is loaded.  
Even my little gallon pouch plant has recognizable pods on it!  

Your grow looks awesome, my friend, really a going concern!  Healthy
and Happy plants in their cool grow bags.  Are they woven or solid?  
Permeable?  The poddage is awesomely awesome    :D

Special congratulations on achieving grandparenthood!
You will have to breed a special pepper in honor of the
grand!

grandparents

Gonna be a Grampy? Congratulations!

My granddaughter couldn't say Grampy (long story) so I was "Bampy", LB even had shirts made with that on it...

Anyways, it will be real fun, the pressure is off....until 4 at once visit! LOL

Happy Memorial Day Weekend, everyone.  It's a 3 day weekend, and I am beat from this past week.  And welcome home to Matt!  Heard you got the surprise!  :)  I certainly hope you will start a glog! 
DesertChris said:
I think it is pretty common for the seller to ask for a couple days to move..... but cover your bases anyway!!

Also, people with high mortgages can short sell and get out of the crazy payment, then turn around and rent for half the amount they were paying.
Some folks do it smart, and buy again right before they sell, getting a similar place for 1/2 the cost.....especially with the super low interest rates right now!
Yeah Chris, I would have no problem with the COE + 3 days thing if it was a normal sale.  But a short sale...they may never move out.  Then I would have to go to court...eviction...etc.  Not worth the risk to me.  Maybe I need an aluminum foil hat, I don't know.

Bodeen said:
Plants and pods look awesome!!!

Thanks!
GA Growhead said:
Hope all goes well. That does seem a bit crazy to me. Since you would own it after the closing, should they have to pay you rent for those three days? :)

Thanks, Jason.  Yes, there would be a rental agreement.  But if they can't pay their mortgage, what makes me think they can pay rent for those three days (or beyond)?
PIC 1 said:
Brent,
Your plants are full and lush looking. There's along summer ahead and I know some of those can hit 5/6ft tall.
It still amazes me after all these years how the pepper plants can take off. The biggest reminder is looking at
someone elses photographs. I can see my plants every day. They kinda creep up with new growth but to compare 
other glogs on a week to week basis is the ultimate reminder..........Deja Vu...

Thanks Greg.  It continues to mean a lot to hear positive comments about my grow from master growers like yourself.  Everything is coming along...except my Dorset Naga looks like it has become toast.  :(  It was a very productive plant, as well.  Pics this weekend, as a soil necropsy.
PaulG said:
Hey, Brent, just had a chance to peruse the last couple of updates.  
You are right about your Pointed Yellow Hab - that baby is loaded.  
Even my little gallon pouch plant has recognizable pods on it!  

Your grow looks awesome, my friend, really a going concern!  Healthy
and Happy plants in their cool grow bags.  Are they woven or solid?  
Permeable?  The poddage is awesomely awesome    :D

Special congratulations on achieving grandparenthood!
You will have to breed a special pepper in honor of the
grand!

grandparents
Thanks Paul!  Love having you drop in.  Hope all is well in the Pac NW.  I'm thinking the Pointed Yellow Hab crossed with something in your garden...the pods are ripening orange/red!   Or perhaps the yellow phenotype was not stable.  In any event, still love the plant.  How can you not love something so loaded up with pods??!?  Thanks on the congrats...still getting my head around it.  I've only been around the sun 47 times!  Always thought I'd be older when I became a grandparent.  Anyway, I will need to dust off the fishing gear, as it is a boy.  :)

Devv said:
Gonna be a Grampy? Congratulations!

My granddaughter couldn't say Grampy (long story) so I was "Bampy", LB even had shirts made with that on it...

Anyways, it will be real fun, the pressure is off....until 4 at once visit! LOL
Hahaha!  No, not 4!  LOL.  Thank you.  Awesome story about "Bampy."  :)  We'll see what I get called.  I'm sure historically I've been called worse.  :) 

This weekend we get to dog-sit the "grand-dog."  For now, I am more comfortable with that.  :)

Back