• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's 2013 Glog - 7/11/13

My 2013 grow officially began 10/14/2012, when seeds hit soil. After seeing Fernando (SocalChilehead) growing in his greenhouse "sanctuary" and KiNGDeNNiZ continuing to start new growth in his AeroGarden, as well as the community HP22B grow thread already being 8 pages, I broke down and started my 2013 grow. I was going to limit it to 50 varieties, but that ended up being 64, 77 including the plants I want to save from 2012. If some varieties don't pop or I end up losing some along the way, I might still be down to 50 (or less!) in no time. The grow list with pop dates is at the bottom of this post.

Since I had plenty of seeds I wanted to try an experiment. Which is better for germination, soil or Rapid Rooters? I have two mini-greenhouses with 36 soil cups each, and one mini-greenhouse with a 72 cell insert loaded with Rapid Rooters. All seeds were soaked overnight in water that had been boiled and cooled and contained a dilution of brewed chamomile tea and H2O2. The Rapid Rooters and soil were both moistened with the same mix. The soil is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 amended lightly with Ancient Forest and worm castings. Wondering if the organisms in the amendments might help break down the seed coat. Each cell contains about five seeds. This will force me to cull the weaklings, as opposed to trying to save them, hahaha! At most I will end up with two seedlings for each variety. If both survive, I can try to gift one of the two. I am thinking that some varieties may germinate better in soil, some better in the Rapid Rooters, and for some it may not make a difference. I read somewhere that kelp solutions are rich in growth hormones. Has anyone added a light kelp solution dilution to their germination setup? I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to each Rapid Rooter cell. Fert-wise, the kelp solutions are very, very weak. I doubt it would do any harm. Has anyone ever tried the kelp? I have not, but might try it later on anything that seems stubborn to sprout.

I am hoping these guys are all budded up come springtime, and ready for an early harvest. Since my indoor space is limited, I am giving serious consideration to building a small greenhouse in the backyard and putting in a couple of space heaters for the night time. I decided against a raised bed, and will probably go with 5 gallon Root Pouches for the larger plants. Some of the annuums and plants I'm as yet unsure of I will grow in 2 gallon pots. If I end up liking them, I can always up-pot them.

Getting organized:

cupsandseeds.jpg

Man, I hope I didn't mix any of these up! 64 cups to keep straight is a far cry from 3. It will be 6 months until I know for sure!:

soaking.jpg

Rapid Rooters:

rapidrooters.jpg

Soil:

soilcells.jpg

Let the waiting game begin!:

germination.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, the white plastic labelling tags are available at Discount Hydroponics, $2.95/100! Cheaper than popsickle sticks!

Regarding the plants I already have, I am going to try to start cuttings off most of them in the event the plants don't make it over the winter. I won't need to start those from seed, although there are four varieties (Douglah, Fatalii, Barrackpore and Yellow Bhut) I am starting from seed, as well.

Question: When we start a new grow season, is it typical to just add to one's glog thread, or is it appropriate to start a new thread for the new grow year?

Anyway, happy growing to you all and thanks for looking. I'm hoping all the lessons I learned this year will help me to make this grow much more successful!

GROW LIST: I will try to edit in pop dates for both soil and Rapid Rooters. The Rapid Rooters might get earlier pop dates since I can see the rootlets before hooks form.

Sown seeds (65):

Trinidad Scorpion (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR)
HP22B (Pepper Joe) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Primo (Primo) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Billy Boy Jonah (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Congo Gigantic (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
7 Pot Barrackpore (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (RR)
Dorset Naga (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Naga Morich (Biscgolf - pods) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Bhut Jolokia (JoynersHotPeppers)
Red Rocoto (SocalChilihead) 10/22/12 (RR)
Malawi Peppadew (Refiningfirechiles) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Trinidad PI281317 (Pepperlover) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Anaheim (Pepperlover - gift)
7 Pot Chiguanas (Silver Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Devil's Tongue (Pepperlover - gift) 10/28/12 (RR)
Butch T (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR)
7 Pot Jonah (Pepperlover - pods) 10/27/12 (RR)
7 Pot Burgundy (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Infinity 10/20/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
Yellow Moruga (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/23/12 (RR)
Yellow Brain (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (Biscgolf) 10/26/12 (soil)
Fatalii (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR),10/28/12 (soil)
7 Pot Yellow (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Peach Bhut (AJIJOE) 10/28/12 (RR)
Beni Highland (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Morova (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
7 Pot Orange (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
Golden Cayenne (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Brown (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (soil)
Douglah (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (soil)
Black Habanero (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Chocolate Scorpion (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion F4 (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Black Naga (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (soil)
Pasilla Bajio (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/27/12 (RR)
Long Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/24/12 (RR)
Black Stinger (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
7 Pot White (Pepperlover) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Giant White Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
White Bullet Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
White Devil's Tongue (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/28/12 (RR)
Serrano (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/19/12 (soil) ***FIRST SOIL***
Jalapeno (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Red Bell (store bought pepper) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Andy F1 Gochu (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL*** 10/23/12 (soil)
Korean Winner Hybrid (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL***
Pimenta de Neyde (SocalChilehead) 10/28/12 (RR)
Trinidad Scorpion Green (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR)
Most Prolific C.chacoense (Pepperlover - gift) 10/23/12 (RR)
Royal Black (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Assam (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Scorpion "FG" (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Australian Lantern Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/26/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Aji Yellow (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Aji Omnicolor (OROZCONLECHE) 10/19/12 (RR)
Not-Trinidad Scorpion (long yellow pod from Arboretum, KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Mystery Chocolate Mix (Silver_Surfer) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Congo (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Peach Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Yellow Hablokia (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Sown 10/20/12
Yellow Bell (store-bought pepper) 10/23/12 (RR)
Sown 10/28/12
Chocolate Bell (Refiningfirechiles)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Douglah (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter (Refiningfirechiles)
Yellow Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Chocolate Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Pineapple (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Dulce 1 (Tradewinds)
Datil (Tradewinds)
Goat's Horn (Tradewinds)
NuMex Big Jim (Tradewinds)
Paprika (Tradewinds)
Brain Strain 7 (PepperRidge)

What I hope to save from my current grow, either whole plants or clones (13):

Carribean Red (local nursery)
Aji Panca (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter Pepper (Refiningfirechiles)
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (Refiningfirechiles)
Moruga (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Thai Dragon (North Park Produce)
Chenzo (North Park Produce)
Red Brain Strain (Baker's Peppers - pods)
Chinese 5-color (Orozconleche)
Aji Dulce (Orozconleche)
Datil (Orozconleche)
Bonnie "World's Hottest Hab" (Fatalii?) (Home Depot)

I'm going to do my best to keep one of each alive, but with 77 total, I might be lucky if a few croak!

Man doc, that's variega cross is a beast! Not sure what it's crossed with. Hot cowhorn or mulato Isle is my guess though from looking at that pod, but idk. Has the same lateral branching though. Most likely will turn red. They were quite tasty little pods so hope that carried over.
The irrigation system is super sweet! Thanks for sharing as that will help me for sure. I didn't get to work (play) with mine yet, duty called (wife had other plans for me). I'm looking foward to it now though.
My WDT are a hair ahead of yours. I'm blaming the T5 start for pushing them in overdrive early on. They hardened well too, so they didn't stop.
Nice pods btw. I kinda like the lighter green phenotypes. Last season i had a few of the same varieties show both a lighter and darker early pod color before both ended up the same color. That butchy look killer! And the Fatalii too!
Any sepia F4 pods yet? Saw the bag so had to ask. :)

Nice work on the irrigation system!

That story about your real estate dealings really opened my eyes. We're going to be looking for a place in not too long, so that's a helpful cautionary tale.

GA Growhead said:
Man doc, that's variega cross is a beast! Not sure what it's crossed with. Hot cowhorn or mulato Isle is my guess though from looking at that pod, but idk. Has the same lateral branching though. Most likely will turn red. They were quite tasty little pods so hope that carried over.
The irrigation system is super sweet! Thanks for sharing as that will help me for sure. I didn't get to work (play) with mine yet, duty called (wife had other plans for me). I'm looking foward to it now though.
My WDT are a hair ahead of yours. I'm blaming the T5 start for pushing them in overdrive early on. They hardened well too, so they didn't stop.
Nice pods btw. I kinda like the lighter green phenotypes. Last season i had a few of the same varieties show both a lighter and darker early pod color before both ended up the same color. That butchy look killer! And the Fatalii too!
Any sepia F4 pods yet? Saw the bag so had to ask. :)
Thanks, Jason!  I should have mentioned that the pods are about 1 1/2" long and maybe 1/4" wide.  It is quite the cool plant, though.  Good luck with your drip system.  I'm sure it will turn out awesome.  Such a work-saver.  Glad to hear that the pale green pods are somewhat normal.  I was like, wft?  But then they started ripening the normal color.  I do indeed have some SS pods forming.  I have five plants, with two more established than the other three.  Those two have about four pods each right now.  One of the younger ones looks to be setting it's first.  I'm hoping out of five plants I get at least one with the desired phenotype.  It would be very cool if the other four had different but equally cool phenotypes, but only time will tell.  Also just noticed my first Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion pod!  Thanks for stopping in, my friend, and have a great week!

StupidJerk said:
Nice work on the irrigation system!

That story about your real estate dealings really opened my eyes. We're going to be looking for a place in not too long, so that's a helpful cautionary tale.
Thanks, Carson.  Definitely a serious work-saver.  Given that the total time invested in the installation was about 16 hours, give or take, I figure it will have paid for itself time-wise in about 32 days.  Glad to hear the story was helpful.  The current real estate conditions are ripe for some types of scams.

That Jay's ghost scorp, peach or red, is another unstable one I'm interested in seeing pods shapes. I think i ended up with 3 reds & either 3 or 4 peach. There should be a good bit of people growing them, so we will get to see some variance. Hope yours comes out cool!

GA Growhead said:
That Jay's ghost scorp, peach or red, is another unstable one I'm interested in seeing pods shapes. I think i ended up with 3 reds & either 3 or 4 peach. There should be a good bit of people growing them, so we will get to see some variance. Hope yours comes out cool!
I also figured that it would be unstable.  I'm curious to see how the pods mature.  The little one is long and slender with a pointy tip, so we shall see!

PIC 1 said:
Very impressive grow.
Have you encountered much flower drop with the high daytime temps ?
Thank you, Greg.  Means a lot coming from a master grower like yourself.  Regarding flower drop, most definitely.  In fact, it is the vast majority that have been dropping.  But something I noticed is that the plants that developed pods before the heat really hit seem to keep setting pods.  The small number of podless plants will probably remain so for quite some time.  Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

Amazing update and grow you have going on. Digging the drip system. You are going to find yourself having way too much to pick! Was that cabbage I saw in your veggies garden with holes in leaves? If so, cabbage worms...they are ruthless. Again awesome update!

Photoshop...

I like to create a large blank file and drag and drop photos into place to make a collage. I am sure there are other ways but I just have a standard template I use. 

Nice job Doc!!! Your mystery plant may be a Black Pearl...injectors are very helpful. I just throw a bag of water soluble plant food in mine every two weeks and BAM! Just started my feeding schedule last weekend and already noticed the difference. The light colored pods can be a natural mutation with some varieties. The Barrackpore you sent me is doing the same...

You did an awesome job on your system, very well planned out! How many time did you run back to the home store because you needed more of part X or hose Y??? 

Your Fatalii pods look gnarly, almost bhutish...gonna be HOT ones!!!

Super impressive setup you got there.  I am waiting for my drip system to come in, should be another few days.  I rarely used it last time around, but I think it is very helpful if you aren't getting rain regularly.  I got some today, but that was after over 2 weeks of nothing.  Watering by hand, even in a consolidated location, can get tough.  Also, the ability to feed everything from a centralized location doesnt hurt either... :)

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Amazing update and grow you have going on. Digging the drip system. You are going to find yourself having way too much to pick! Was that cabbage I saw in your veggies garden with holes in leaves? If so, cabbage worms...they are ruthless. Again awesome update!

Photoshop...

I like to create a large blank file and drag and drop photos into place to make a collage. I am sure there are other ways but I just have a standard template I use. 
Thanks Chris!  Appreciate you stopping in.  Some of these plants are just loaded with green pods...others not so much, but their time (I hope) is coming.  Having too much to pick will be a good problem to have (again, I hope).  I'm not sure what that is my wife has growing.  It's not cabbage, but probably the same pest of which you speak. 

Edit:  And thanks for the Photoshop tip!

stc3248 said:
Nice job Doc!!! Your mystery plant may be a Black Pearl...injectors are very helpful. I just throw a bag of water soluble plant food in mine every two weeks and BAM! Just started my feeding schedule last weekend and already noticed the difference. The light colored pods can be a natural mutation with some varieties. The Barrackpore you sent me is doing the same...

You did an awesome job on your system, very well planned out! How many time did you run back to the home store because you needed more of part X or hose Y??? 

Your Fatalii pods look gnarly, almost bhutish...gonna be HOT ones!!!
Thanks, brother Shane!  Black Pearl, eh?  Cool!  I'll have to look it up.  I'll have to also take a look at injectors...hmmm...

Good to hear about the light colored pods.  At first I was like, "wtf???"  But when they started ripening the expected color I was OK with it.  Yes, my Barrackpore seems to be doing the same.

You got my number on the return trips!  I made at least four trips back to HD. 

You know, it's funny you said that about the Fatalii.  I too was thinking Yellow Bhut.  The one I photographed is the largest one, and seems larger than most Fataliis I've seen.  But the rest are the expected size.

Thanks again, man!

MGOLD86 said:
Super impressive setup you got there.  I am waiting for my drip system to come in, should be another few days.  I rarely used it last time around, but I think it is very helpful if you aren't getting rain regularly.  I got some today, but that was after over 2 weeks of nothing.  Watering by hand, even in a consolidated location, can get tough.  Also, the ability to feed everything from a centralized location doesnt hurt either... :)
Thanks Matt.  I'm just amazed I kept this many plants alive for this long!  Last year was my first attempt.  I managed to kill about 75% of the plants I had, but I guess I learned a lot in the process.  I hope you are happy with your drip system once you get it in.  It was so nice coming home from a wedding on Sunday night and home from work tonight and not have to water.  Instead, tonight I was able to pick my daily harvest.  :)  That injector feeding system sounds cool.  Definitely going to look into it.  Thanks for stopping in!

Sanarda said:
Gorgeous pods and setup. Hard work upfront reduces hard later on
Thanks Pia!  Your grow is looking great, as well!  Soon you are going to have pods galore.  What's that old saying...work smarter, not harder? 

stc3248 said:
Hmmm...Bhut leaves are typically more slender and pointy with less ripples, fatalii wider with a wavy rippled look. What do the leaves on yours look like. Either way, they're both delicious!
Man, you know your plants!  I have a few different colors of Bhuts growing and their leaves all look similar.  The leaves on the Fatalii look different than even the leaves on my Yellow Bhut (which just started setting pods).  :)  And yes, I looked it up and indeed I believe the not-White Bullet Hab is a Black Pearl.  Cool!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
man.. always takes forever to read your updates.. so many beautiful photos...
Thanks King!  Hope you and the others like the pics.  I get a bit carried away since there is so much I want to share.  :)

Everything looks great Doc, plants spread everywhere. :)

An injector (fertilizer injector) meters and mixes the nutrients into your water flow in the drip system. You can adjust the ratio of the fertilizer added to the flow or also turn it off when you just want to distribute water. Any water soluble fertilizer can be used. There are several different designs of injectors on the market that start from around $50 on up into the hundreds.

Silver_Surfer said:
Everything looks great Doc, plants spread everywhere. :)

An injector (fertilizer injector) meters and mixes the nutrients into your water flow in the drip system. You can adjust the ratio of the fertilizer added to the flow or also turn it off when you just want to distribute water. Any water soluble fertilizer can be used. There are several different designs of injectors on the market that start from around $50 on up into the hundreds.
Thanks, bro!  As I have often said, it means a lot when a master grower like yourself has good things to say about my grow.

I didn't know anything about injectors, but after seeing this I have been researching them.  After I get the system dialed in so that are no over or under watered plants, I'm definitely getting one of these!  Fertilizing is one of those things that takes at least a couple of hours and I should do it at least once a week.  This past weekend was the first time the plants had been fertilized in over a month!  Since giving them ferts, some of the plants that had been finicky about setting pods are starting to.  If I could automate the fertilization then I would only have to focus on pests, harvesting, and processing.  :)

How white do 7 Pot Whites get, anyway?  White Bullet Habs seem to be more of a cream color.  My 7 Pot Whites have been on the plant for what seems to be an eternity.  Some are more pale than others, but they still seem to have a greenish tint to me.  Below is a representative one.  All of the pods are smooth, without the typical 7 Pot bumpiness.  Does anyone know if the 7 Pot White develops the bumpiness?  I ask because these are still early pods.  The early pods on my other supers were smooth, but the later ones developed the typical bumpiness.  Anyway:

While I was at it, I snapped a couple more pics, for a little "morning report." 

I have five plants growing of Silver_Surfer's infamous Sepia Serpent.  At least one of the plants seems to have the target phenotype.  I'll have to wait to see what color it ripens.

Finally, the first pod on my Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion:

Hope everyone is having a great week! 

Looking forward to seeing your Jay's. I can say that the place I got the plant from last year had zero cool super hots this year. I hope that does not mean Meadow View farms had issues. Many of the plants looked very bad off as well. My Jay's OW is still fighting hard and will get potted up finally into a bag this weekend. Two other plants started from seed look the same but are very strange and overly bushy. You cannot see the trunk or any stems.

Nice pods Doc, that Sepia Serpent is quite gnarly looking.

Glad to hear that drip system is making your life easier, you did a heck of a job getting all of that setup!

And the 4 trips for parts? I look at that as an AC break :D

Man Brent I just read through the last six pages and imust say that eeverything is looking fantastic my friend

Also that Serpent pod is looking great. Out of all the plants of mine that have pods on it, my 3 Serpents are the ones that have no pods on it yet :(

Back